Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can not see network computers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5167-can-not-see-network-computers.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uQg==?= 12-13-2004 07:07 PM

Can not see network computers

I am having the same problems as many. I have a XP Pro computer upstairs and
XP pro laptop both have wireless adapters that connect to a linksys router
downstairs I have two XP Pro computers and a network printer plugged into the
linksys wireless router downstairs. I am using the DHCP services on the
Linksys router. I can print to the network printer from upstairs with no
problems. I have a briefcase folder setup on the laptop to sync with the
upstairs computer it works great. I can not see the work station in Network
Places. Note, when I add a computer running Win98 to the network all
computers appear that is how I was able to setup the briefcase folder. This
sounds like a protocol issue? Can anyone help with this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhc2UgT3Zlcm1pcmU=?= 12-13-2004 08:27 PM

RE: Can not see network computers

RonB,

If you are using a firewall, like the one found in Norton Internet Security,
then that could very well be your problem.

You can program nearly all recent firewalls to accept a certian IP address,
or even an address range. Alot of people have issues sharing files, simply
because the firewall blocks them. If you dont think this is the problem, you
could try the old fashion way of getting in by typing \\TheMachine in
Explorer and hitting enter.. Of course you would change 'TheMachine' to the
computers name you are trying to connect it.

=?Utf-8?B?VmluYXkgUw==?= 12-14-2004 05:05 PM

RE: Can not see network computers

Hi Ron,
This is definitely a protocol issue. You need to install NETBIOS
protocol. DOing this will resolve the issue. TO do the same, please folow
these steps:
1) Go to n/w connections in Control panel
2) Right click your wireless or wired connection icon and click on properties.
3) Under the general tab, please click on INSTALL button.
4) Select Protocol and click ADD
5) The select "HAVE DISK"
6) THen put in the path c:\windows\inf and click OK
7) THen, please select the NETBIOS compactible transport protocol
8) Click OK and OK.
9) Restart the computer and check.
Regs,
Vinay.S

Developer 12-14-2004 05:30 PM

Re: Can not see network computers

Control Panel->Network Connections->[Right-click on
connection]->Properties, select TCP/IP, click on Properties, click on
Advanced, click on WINS tab, select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".

That's what I've done on my Win2000 desktop and WinXP Pro laptop. When
I tried the procedure below, neither OS offered "NETBIOS" as a protocol
to install.

And my two computers still can't browse the other by name, although they
can by IP address.

Could it be a router (Linksys wireless) issue? I've assigned an IP
address to at least one of the computers (for port routing, so I can
connect to the computer remotely).

=?Utf-8?B?VmluYXkgUw==?= 12-14-2004 06:29 PM

Re: Can not see network computers

It is the NWLink IPX/SPX/NETBIOS compactible transport protocol. Please add
this protocol.