Velocity Reviews

-   -   a href area to enlarge (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t516612-a-href-area-to-enlarge.html)

K. 06-22-2007 11:47 AM

a href area to enlarge

Hello!

I have such tag:

Link

Now active area for this tag is just on the "Link to page" text.
I would like to enlarge active area of "a" tag to let the user click a few
mm (milimeters)
below, above, on left, on right the "a" tag.

I used to do such thing using Maps tag, but I don`t want to use Maps.
Is it possible to do this using <a href> tag?

Thank you in advance
Marcin

Disco Octopus 06-22-2007 12:32 PM

Re: a href area to enlarge

K. wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have such tag:

> Link
>
> Now active area for this tag is just on the "Link to page" text.
> I would like to enlarge active area of "a" tag to let the user click a few
> mm (milimeters)
> below, above, on left, on right the "a" tag.
>
> I used to do such thing using Maps tag, but I don`t want to use Maps.
> Is it possible to do this using <a href> tag?
>
> Thank you in advance
> Marcin

will this work for you?...

style="display:block;padding:40px;">Link to page</a>

--
Disco Octopus
www.choicebeefjerky.com.au

K. 06-22-2007 01:01 PM

Re: a href area to enlarge

> to page</a>

Thank you. It works but padding variable is not need

K.

dorayme 06-22-2007 10:43 PM

Re: a href area to enlarge

In article <f5gh8p$ja0$1@news.onet.pl>,
"K." <halinacierniak@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

> > to page</a>

> Thank you. It works but padding variable is not need

If you don't have padding, what quite is the difference between
no style at all in the link and mere display: block for your
purpose? You delivering the padding from elsewhere?

--
dorayme

Ben C 06-23-2007 07:42 AM

Re: a href area to enlarge

On 2007-06-22, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> In article <f5gh8p$ja0$1@news.onet.pl>,
> "K." <halinacierniak@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

>> > to page</a>

>> Thank you. It works but padding variable is not need
>>

> If you don't have padding, what quite is the difference between
> no style at all in the link and mere display: block for your
> purpose? You delivering the padding from elsewhere?

Padding will still make the clickable area wider-- the full width of the
space available in the <td>-- but generally not much taller.

dorayme 06-23-2007 12:16 PM

Re: a href area to enlarge

In article <slrnf7pjm7.dbt.spamspam@bowser.marioworld>,
Ben C <spamspam@spam.eggs> wrote:

> On 2007-06-22, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> >> Thank you. It works but padding variable is not need
> >>

> > If you don't have padding, what quite is the difference between
> > no style at all in the link and mere display: block for your
> > purpose? You delivering the padding from elsewhere?

> Padding will still make the clickable area wider-- the full width of the
> space available in the <td>-- but generally not much taller.

I was a little puzzled to know what OP would benefit from 2 over
1 in

<http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

The differences are all a bit strange across different browsers
and text sizes.

(just btw, I discovered that iCab breaks the line after // in the
left cell and wraps the www bit! unless one gives a big explicit
width to the table.)

--
dorayme

Neredbojias 06-23-2007 10:29 PM

Re: a href area to enlarge

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:16:48 GMT dorayme scribed:

>> > If you don't have padding, what quite is the difference between
>> > no style at all in the link and mere display: block for your
>> > purpose? You delivering the padding from elsewhere?

>> Padding will still make the clickable area wider-- the full width of the
>> space available in the <td>-- but generally not much taller.

> I was a little puzzled to know what OP would benefit from 2 over
> 1 in
>
> <http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>
>
> The differences are all a bit strange across different browsers
> and text sizes.

As you suggested earlier, I see no difference in "the big three" (between
examples 1 & 2) except ie6 cuts off the top and bottom border. Ergo, the
OP's reply is puzzling.

--
Neredbojias

Ben C 06-23-2007 10:41 PM

Re: a href area to enlarge

On 2007-06-23, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> In article <slrnf7pjm7.dbt.spamspam@bowser.marioworld>,
> Ben C <spamspam@spam.eggs> wrote:
>
>> On 2007-06-22, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>> > If you don't have padding, what quite is the difference between
>> > no style at all in the link and mere display: block for your
>> > purpose? You delivering the padding from elsewhere?

>> Padding will still make the clickable area wider-- the full width of the
>> space available in the <td>-- but generally not much taller.

> I was a little puzzled to know what OP would benefit from 2 over
> 1 in
>
><http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

1 and 2 work out the same, but if in each case you give the <td>
containing the <a> a styled width making it wider than it is at the
moment, then the clickable area should be wider in 2.

> The differences are all a bit strange across different browsers
> and text sizes.
>
> (just btw, I discovered that iCab breaks the line after // in the
> left cell and wraps the www bit! unless one gives a big explicit
> width to the table.)

It does that even when the viewport is wide enough to fit everything
without any linebreaks? That is odd.

Breaking after the // and before www when the available space starts to
become restricted I think may possibly be the correct thing to do
according to Unicode breaking classes, although it's not what Firefox
does.

dorayme 06-24-2007 01:35 AM

Re: a href area to enlarge

In article <slrnf7r6i3.f27.spamspam@bowser.marioworld>,
Ben C <spamspam@spam.eggs> wrote:

> On 2007-06-23, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> > (just btw, I discovered that iCab breaks the line after // in the
> > left cell and wraps the www bit! unless one gives a big explicit
> > width to the table.)

> It does that even when the viewport is wide enough to fit everything
> without any linebreaks? That is odd.

Indeed it is. No, space was not the issue at all. I can open

<http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

in iCab full wide on my desktop which is 3,776 px wide and it
still wraps after the "//" !

But I have just this mo taken a further look and I notice it does
_not_ wrap under some text size clicks... (nothing to do with
available browser width). And investigating closer (I have a huge
range of text size clicks available on iCab) it appears that it
is in the minority (3 or 4 in about 14) that it wraps. So I
guess, it wraps most of the time. I might write to the icab
maker about this (he is very clever and cluey about CSS and will
probably shed light on it considering some of his past replies to
me.)

I guess, writing this on a Sunday morning, looks bad. I mean, it
is not like it is the most important investigation a being can
make. One of my most riveting, in a previous slow period of life,
was The Desert:

dorayme 06-24-2007 01:53 AM

Re: a href area to enlarge

In article
<doraymeRidThis-3322A9.11350024062007@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>,
dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> So I
> guess, it wraps most of the time.

Correction, Ben, I meant: "it does not wrap most of the time"

--
dorayme