Velocity Reviews

-   -   Befuddled (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t514837-befuddled.html)

jlab13 06-15-2007 03:52 PM

Befuddled

I have had a network between my laptop (xpPro) and desktop (vista)
since vista came out. never a prob. All of a sudden, neither can see
each other. All of the correct protocols are in there. My wireless in
the laptop connect to the access point w/no issue. I'm on the same
workgroup, etc. No idea where to go next. Is there a service or
something that could've gotten turned off. Any suggestions what else
to look at?

Thanks for any and all help!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 06-15-2007 07:03 PM

Re: Befuddled

Hi
Did you turned any Service Off?
settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Basic XP -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:1181922779.852371.85770@c77g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...

Chuck 06-15-2007 07:14 PM

Re: Befuddled

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:52:59 -0000, jlab13 <johnlab13@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have had a network between my laptop (xpPro) and desktop (vista)
>since vista came out. never a prob. All of a sudden, neither can see
>each other. All of the correct protocols are in there. My wireless in
>the laptop connect to the access point w/no issue. I'm on the same
>workgroup, etc. No idea where to go next. Is there a service or
>something that could've gotten turned off. Any suggestions what else
>to look at?
>
>Thanks for any and all help!

I'd look at all personal firewalls, and any other security components, and at
the NetBT setting.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

Then I'd look at logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each
computer, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.

jlab13 06-19-2007 05:49 PM

Re: Befuddled

On Jun 15, 3:14 pm, Chuck <n...@example.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:52:59 -0000, jlab13 <johnla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I have had a network between my laptop (xpPro) and desktop (vista)
> >since vista came out. never a prob. All of a sudden, neither can see
> >each other. All of the correct protocols are in there. My wireless in
> >the laptop connect to the access point w/no issue. I'm on the same
> >workgroup, etc. No idea where to go next. Is there a service or
> >something that could've gotten turned off. Any suggestions what else
> >to look at?

> >Thanks for any and all help!

> I'd look at all personal firewalls, and any other security components, and at
> the NetBT setting.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-usi...>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...networking-usi...
>
> Then I'd look at logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each
> computer, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
> follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighbo...>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...etwork-neighbo...
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

FWIW, I needed to run a winsock repair utility to repair damage caused
by malware. All is well now. Nutty stuff.
Thanks for all of the help, though!

Chuck 06-19-2007 08:10 PM

Re: Befuddled

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:49:44 -0000, jlab13 <johnlab13@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jun 15, 3:14 pm, Chuck <n...@example.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:52:59 -0000, jlab13 <johnla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >I have had a network between my laptop (xpPro) and desktop (vista)
>> >since vista came out. never a prob. All of a sudden, neither can see
>> >each other. All of the correct protocols are in there. My wireless in
>> >the laptop connect to the access point w/no issue. I'm on the same
>> >workgroup, etc. No idea where to go next. Is there a service or
>> >something that could've gotten turned off. Any suggestions what else
>> >to look at?

>> >Thanks for any and all help!

>> I'd look at all personal firewalls, and any other security components, and at
>> the NetBT setting.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-usi...>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...networking-usi...
>>
>> Then I'd look at logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each
>> computer, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
>> follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighbo...>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...etwork-neighbo...

>FWIW, I needed to run a winsock repair utility to repair damage caused
>by malware. All is well now. Nutty stuff.
>Thanks for all of the help, though!

Thanks for the update!