Velocity Reviews

-   -   External hard drive won't read (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t513347-external-hard-drive-wont-read.html)

Cynelle 06-09-2007 03:19 PM

External hard drive won't read

I'm running Win XP and i have a buffalo External hard drive. I've had
it for about a year and half and it's worked fine until recently. I
have used it as my back up so getting the data off of it is
paramount.

After it's connected it starts up but it makes a noise that sounds
like it's skipping. The computer does not automatically recognize it
and when i go in through control panel to try and get it to read the
drive it says the drive can not be read. That it will not start.

Do I have any chance of fixing this myself?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 06-09-2007 03:23 PM

Re: External hard drive won't read

Cynelle wrote:
> I'm running Win XP and i have a buffalo External hard drive. I've had
> it for about a year and half and it's worked fine until recently. I
> have used it as my back up so getting the data off of it is
> paramount.
>
> After it's connected it starts up but it makes a noise that sounds
> like it's skipping. The computer does not automatically recognize it
> and when i go in through control panel to try and get it to read the
> drive it says the drive can not be read. That it will not start.
>
> Do I have any chance of fixing this myself?

Don't know exactly what "it sounds like it's skipping" means, but it
really doesn't sound good at all. Sounds like trash fodder from what you
posted. Get what data you can from it, and throw it away.

Meat Plow 06-09-2007 03:26 PM

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:19:31 +0000, Cynelle wrote:

> I'm running Win XP and i have a buffalo External hard drive. I've had
> it for about a year and half and it's worked fine until recently. I
> have used it as my back up so getting the data off of it is
> paramount.
>
> After it's connected it starts up but it makes a noise that sounds
> like it's skipping. The computer does not automatically recognize it
> and when i go in through control panel to try and get it to read the
> drive it says the drive can not be read. That it will not start.
>
> Do I have any chance of fixing this myself?

Nope. Drive skipping sound = death.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794

mike 06-09-2007 03:39 PM

"Cynelle" <CynelleDesigns@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1181402371.569945.248870@g37g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
> I'm running Win XP and i have a buffalo External hard drive. I've had
> it for about a year and half and it's worked fine until recently. I
> have used it as my back up so getting the data off of it is
> paramount.
>
> After it's connected it starts up but it makes a noise that sounds
> like it's skipping. The computer does not automatically recognize it
> and when i go in through control panel to try and get it to read the
> drive it says the drive can not be read. That it will not start.
>
> Do I have any chance of fixing this myself?

I had a similar problem with an external drive, although I can't remember
the brand. I was going to bin it but I'm the sort of person that likes to
take these sort of gadgets apart, which was just as well. You might find
the same thing with your drive so listen to this. I opened the case
expecting to find wires and electronics and found another box inside. The
drive itself was actually mounted in a case that looked very much like the
drive body, the USB cable plugeed in to the outer casing then a couple of
wires from the casing plugged into the drive and these hidden wires and
plugs had come loose. Not so much a repair, more like plugging it back in!

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 06-09-2007 04:20 PM

Re: External hard drive won't read

Cynelle <CynelleDesigns@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm running Win XP and i have a buffalo External hard drive. I've had
>it for about a year and half and it's worked fine until recently. I
>have used it as my back up so getting the data off of it is
>paramount.
>
>After it's connected it starts up but it makes a noise that sounds
>like it's skipping. The computer does not automatically recognize it
>and when i go in through control panel to try and get it to read the
>drive it says the drive can not be read. That it will not start.
>
>Do I have any chance of fixing this myself?

HD noises you don't want to hear http://tinyurl.com/34y47

Spinrite gives the best chance of recovering data from a bad drive. As
you might have one chance, practice with it on another drive first.
http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

If you can find another drive exactly the same (Manufacture, Drive
size, Part #), you can exchange the circuit boards, this works most of
the times. (board attached to the bottom of the drive)

Sticking the HD in the freezer for awhile does work.
Google: hard drive freezer repair

--

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/tsgtv/

Meat Plow 06-09-2007 05:03 PM

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 09:20:12 -0700, Pennywise wrote:

> Cynelle <CynelleDesigns@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm running Win XP and i have a buffalo External hard drive. I've had
>>it for about a year and half and it's worked fine until recently. I
>>have used it as my back up so getting the data off of it is
>>paramount.
>>
>>After it's connected it starts up but it makes a noise that sounds
>>like it's skipping. The computer does not automatically recognize it
>>and when i go in through control panel to try and get it to read the
>>drive it says the drive can not be read. That it will not start.
>>
>>Do I have any chance of fixing this myself?

> HD noises you don't want to hear http://tinyurl.com/34y47
>
> Spinrite gives the best chance of recovering data from a bad drive. As
> you might have one chance, practice with it on another drive first.
> http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm
>
> If you can find another drive exactly the same (Manufacture, Drive
> size, Part #), you can exchange the circuit boards, this works most of
> the times. (board attached to the bottom of the drive)
>
> Sticking the HD in the freezer for awhile does work.
> Google: hard drive freezer repair

I'd be ready to copy all my **** in a hurry and just give it a good whack
with the butt end of a screwdriver and cross my fingers that the actuator
stopped cycling and the drive became available one last time.

One final note for the OP. Don't keep your stash on one drive. Copy it to
an external. And maybe archive it on a dvd especially if it's docs, vids
and pics.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog