Velocity Reviews

-   -   windows 2000 ..? .. download (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t513326-windows-2000-download.html)

Homeworker 06-09-2007 01:55 PM

windows 2000 ..? .. download

I bought two computers at auction
both have windows 2000 pro COA stickers on them

Is win2000 licence transferable ?

how can i get the software ? ( errr cheap ) to load
it on .googleing hasnt helped ?

PEG

Whiskers 06-09-2007 03:05 PM

Re: windows 2000 ..? .. download

On 2007-06-09, Homeworker <homesky@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I bought two computers at auction
> both have windows 2000 pro COA stickers on them
>
> Is win2000 licence transferable ?
>
> how can i get the software ? ( errr cheap ) to load
> it on .googleing hasnt helped ?
>
> PEG

I suspect that if you didn't get the complete operating system and
installation discs, documentation, etc, with each machine, then the only
part of the Windows 2000 Pro license that you have, is the sticker. The
obvious people to approach for information, would seem to be whoever you
bought the machines from, and Microsoft
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.mspx>.

A long shot might be to approach whoever built the machines.

I suspect that you are going to have to acquire new licences and
installation media for new OSs for both machines, if you want to use them
as computers. If you aren't welded to Microsoft, I suggest you investigate
Unix and Linux. <http://distrowatch.com/>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

old man 06-09-2007 03:09 PM

Re: windows 2000 ..? .. download

Buy from Ebay or similar

WhzzKdd 06-09-2007 03:53 PM

Re: windows 2000 ..? .. download

"Homeworker" <homesky@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I bought two computers at auction
> both have windows 2000 pro COA stickers on them
>
> Is win2000 licence transferable ?
>
> how can i get the software ? ( errr cheap ) to load
> it on .googleing hasnt helped ?
>
> PEG

From a legal standpoint, you may NOT use that W2K software on any other PC
if it is an OEM version (the sticker should say so if it is.) I'd put money
on it being OEM.

You should go back to the person you bought the computers from and get the
discs for W2k and anything else that belongs with that computer.

Or you may get a setup disc from any reliable source, in case you need to
reinstall that version on THAT computer. Be sure you get the SP4 version if
possible.