Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tripods (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t513131-tripods.html)

Eric Miller 06-08-2007 04:20 PM

Tripods

On my visit to Banff last week, I lost a quick-release plate for my tripod
head. This led me to the Banff camera shop and the eventual purchase of a
new tripod and head combination for more than they were worth (a Bogen 190
CL and Compact Ball Head combo). The tripod and head worked well and I was
generally pleased, but then I got an e-mail from one of the Ebay vendors,
Amvona, from whom I bought some cheap (but decent quality) lightstands once
with a link to the following:

http://www.amvona.com/index.php?page...roduct_id=2115

I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth the
lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their tripods
or ball heads.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Rich 06-08-2007 06:39 PM

Re: Tripods

On Jun 8, 12:20 pm, "Eric Miller" <millerericnos...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:
> On my visit to Banff last week, I lost a quick-release plate for my tripod
> head. This led me to the Banff camera shop and the eventual purchase of a
> new tripod and head combination for more than they were worth (a Bogen 190
> CL and Compact Ball Head combo). The tripod and head worked well and I was
> generally pleased, but then I got an e-mail from one of the Ebay vendors,
> Amvona, from whom I bought some cheap (but decent quality) lightstands once
> with a link to the following:
>
> http://www.amvona.com/index.php?page...roduct_id=2115
>
> I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
> generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth the
> lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their tripods
> or ball heads.
>
> Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

They seem astonishingly cheap for carbon fibre.

Pudentame 06-08-2007 07:39 PM

Re: Tripods

Rich wrote:
> On Jun 8, 12:20 pm, "Eric Miller" <millerericnos...@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>> On my visit to Banff last week, I lost a quick-release plate for my tripod
>> head. This led me to the Banff camera shop and the eventual purchase of a
>> new tripod and head combination for more than they were worth (a Bogen 190
>> CL and Compact Ball Head combo). The tripod and head worked well and I was
>> generally pleased, but then I got an e-mail from one of the Ebay vendors,
>> Amvona, from whom I bought some cheap (but decent quality) lightstands once
>> with a link to the following:
>>
>> http://www.amvona.com/index.php?page...roduct_id=2115
>>
>> I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
>> generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth the
>> lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their tripods
>> or ball heads.
>>
>> Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

> They seem astonishingly cheap for carbon fibre.

TANSTAAFL ... you gets whats youse pays for.

Michael Benveniste 06-08-2007 08:20 PM

Re: Tripods

"Eric Miller" <millerericnospam@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
> generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth
> the lower price).

That pretty well sums up my experience with that exact CF92 tripod. But
it's only a good value if you have a clear understand what you are and
are not buying.

I use it with a Markins Q3 head when I want to reduce my carry weight
for occasional field and tourist use. This ain't a bargain Gitzo; its
finish and finish are inline with the price you pay. I don't demand
(nor would I expect) it to stand up to the day-to-day rigors of
professional use.

I don't have one of their tripod heads, but they seem to be very
similar to the Benro heads offered regularly on eBay.

--
Michael Benveniste -- mhb-offer@clearether.com
Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $250. Use this email

Eric Miller 06-08-2007 08:27 PM

Re: Tripods

>>> I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
>>> generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth
>>> the
>>> lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their
>>> tripods
>>> or ball heads.
>>>
>>> Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

>> They seem astonishingly cheap for carbon fibre.
>>

> TANSTAAFL ... you gets whats youse pays for.

It's a nice adage, but I do get a free lunch every once in a while and I
have a surprisingly good ball head that I paid $50 for new (different
manufacturer). However, the price for just the tripod legs is $113, not
exactly free. Realistically, the carbon fiber component of this tripod is
probably 9 tubes in three sizes. What does that part of the tripod add to
the cost of production? Years ago, anything CF was expensive. Now there are
plenty of inexpensive items with CF components. Surely the cost of
manufacturing CF stuff has come down. Why hasn't the cost of CF tripods come
down? What exactly is so expensive about manufacturing the tripod if not CF
tubes? The rest is just some machined metal parts. Is this a manufacturer
that sees a way to market similar products at a significantly reduced price
thanks to the cheaper availability of the same components, is it just a
bunch of cheap crap or is it somewhere in between: a decent quality product
but not the best?

Just some thoughts and general questions. One thing I did notice when I
looked around that site some is that they have a taller aluminum tripod that
actually weighs less than the CF one.

Oh, and did a quick search and see that I can buy all the CF tubes needed to
make a tripod this height for about $75 retail. Surely a tripod manufacturer
can get the tubes for a fourth of that price. Of course, this also begs the
question about aluminum tripod prices too assuming that aluminum tubes are
as dirt cheap as I imagine they must be.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

William Graham 06-08-2007 10:17 PM

Re: Tripods

"Eric Miller" <millerericnospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

>>> They seem astonishingly cheap for carbon fibre.
>>>

>> TANSTAAFL ... you gets whats youse pays for.

> It's a nice adage, but I do get a free lunch every once in a while and I
> have a surprisingly good ball head that I paid $50 for new (different
> manufacturer). However, the price for just the tripod legs is $113, not
> exactly free. Realistically, the carbon fiber component of this tripod is
> probably 9 tubes in three sizes. What does that part of the tripod add to
> the cost of production? Years ago, anything CF was expensive. Now there
> are plenty of inexpensive items with CF components. Surely the cost of
> manufacturing CF stuff has come down. Why hasn't the cost of CF tripods
> come down? What exactly is so expensive about manufacturing the tripod if
> not CF tubes? The rest is just some machined metal parts. Is this a
> manufacturer that sees a way to market similar products at a significantly
> reduced price thanks to the cheaper availability of the same components,
> is it just a bunch of cheap crap or is it somewhere in between: a decent
> quality product but not the best?
>
> Just some thoughts and general questions. One thing I did notice when I
> looked around that site some is that they have a taller aluminum tripod
> that actually weighs less than the CF one.
>
> Oh, and did a quick search and see that I can buy all the CF tubes needed
> to make a tripod this height for about $75 retail. Surely a tripod
> manufacturer can get the tubes for a fourth of that price. Of course, this
> also begs the question about aluminum tripod prices too assuming that
> aluminum tubes are as dirt cheap as I imagine they must be.

What amazes me is the great difference in steadiness when I compare set up
tripods in a camera store. Some are really unsteady and others are much
firmer.....I think I would make sure the one I was interested in was steady
before I bought it. (Although the $113 price for that carbon fiber pod is so
cheap that you can hardly go wrong by taking a chance.)

Peter A. Stavrakoglou 06-09-2007 01:03 AM

Re: Tripods

"Rich" <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1181327977.108652.59340@w5g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
> On Jun 8, 12:20 pm, "Eric Miller" <millerericnos...@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>> On my visit to Banff last week, I lost a quick-release plate for my
>> tripod
>> head. This led me to the Banff camera shop and the eventual purchase of a
>> new tripod and head combination for more than they were worth (a Bogen
>> 190
>> CL and Compact Ball Head combo). The tripod and head worked well and I
>> was
>> generally pleased, but then I got an e-mail from one of the Ebay vendors,
>> Amvona, from whom I bought some cheap (but decent quality) lightstands
>> once
>> with a link to the following:
>>
>> http://www.amvona.com/index.php?page...roduct_id=2115
>>
>> I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
>> generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth the
>> lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their
>> tripods
>> or ball heads.
>>
>> Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

> They seem astonishingly cheap for carbon fibre.

You can get it even cheaper if you buy it from them on ebay. Not directly
from their ebay store on a "buy it now" but for a regular bid item. I got
this set of legs for $ 20.50
http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/fly...roduct_id=2620 and this ball head
for 21.00
http://www.amvona.com/?keyword=ath-a..._sku=1&cid=all.
At these prices, you can't go wrong. I never used a tripod before, if I
find myself using this set-up more-and-more then maybe the time will come to
pony up for a better quality setup. For the time being, this set-up will be
fine.

Pudentame 06-09-2007 03:25 AM

Re: Tripods

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:

> You can get it even cheaper if you buy it from them on ebay.

I could, but since I already have sturdier tripods from Manfrotto/Bogen
and Gitzo, why would I?

Alan Browne 06-09-2007 01:40 PM

Re: Tripods

Eric Miller wrote:
> On my visit to Banff last week, I lost a quick-release plate for my tripod
> head. This led me to the Banff camera shop and the eventual purchase of a
> new tripod and head combination for more than they were worth (a Bogen 190
> CL and Compact Ball Head combo). The tripod and head worked well and I was
> generally pleased, but then I got an e-mail from one of the Ebay vendors,
> Amvona, from whom I bought some cheap (but decent quality) lightstands once
> with a link to the following:
>
> http://www.amvona.com/index.php?page...roduct_id=2115
>
> I have purchased other Dynatran stuff in the past and found it to be
> generally good quality (not great or outstanding, but generally worth the
> lower price) and wonder if anyone here has any experience with their tripods
> or ball heads.

Never heard of them, so wish them well. I would hope they would pick an
area to be really good at, excel, and pose a competitive challenge to
the others...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou 06-09-2007 11:26 PM

Re: Tripods

"Pudentame" <no.one@no.were.invalid> wrote in message
> Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
>

>> You can get it even cheaper if you buy it from them on ebay.

> I could, but since I already have sturdier tripods from Manfrotto/Bogen
> and Gitzo, why would I?

I wasn't suggesting that you do.