Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firewall (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t512705-firewall.html)

Sebastian G. 06-07-2007 12:02 PM

Re: Firewall

Ferd wrote:

> Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista.

Wipfw.

> The ones I have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver

> compatability issues.

And are no firewalls at all.

> Some even lock up computer.

That's what these software packages are supposed to do...

Jim Watt 06-07-2007 04:22 PM

Re: Firewall

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 01:41:22 -0700, Ferd <Rat@tat.com> wrote:

>Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista. The ones I
>have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver
>compatability issues. Some even lock up computer. Any ideas?
>Ferd

Why do you feel you need a third party software 'firewall' ?
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Ferd 06-07-2007 11:29 PM

Re: Firewall

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:22:53 +0200, Jim Watt <jimwatt@aol.no_way>
wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 01:41:22 -0700, Ferd <Rat@tat.com> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista. The ones I
>>have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver
>>compatability issues. Some even lock up computer. Any ideas?
>>Ferd

>Why do you feel you need a third party software 'firewall' ?

Jim, thanks, I have a new laptop and its very slow on internet, and I
suspect a lot of unwanted programs are up-dating and I want to stop
them. The built in firewall is too hard to configure. The machine came
with Nortons which I remove because the machine barely crawled along
and was almost unusable. now running AVG with no problems.
Ferd

Vanguard 06-08-2007 12:59 AM

Re: Firewall

"Ferd" <Rat@tat.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:22:53 +0200, Jim Watt <jimwatt@aol.no_way>
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 01:41:22 -0700, Ferd <Rat@tat.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista. The ones I
>>>have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver
>>>compatability issues. Some even lock up computer. Any ideas?
>>>Ferd

>>Why do you feel you need a third party software 'firewall' ?

> Jim, thanks, I have a new laptop and its very slow on internet, and I
> suspect a lot of unwanted programs are up-dating and I want to stop
> them. The built in firewall is too hard to configure. The machine came
> with Nortons which I remove because the machine barely crawled along
> and was almost unusable. now running AVG with no problems.
> Ferd

If they are well-behaved applications, they will provide you with an
option to disable their updating feature, so go configure them not to
update. If they don't that option, consider them trashware and find an
alternative product.

If you want to know what process is generating network traffic, you
could get a sniffer, like Ethereal or Nirsoft's SmartSniff.

Program can only run if they can get loaded into real (physical) memory.
Nothing runs unless it gets there. You could use DiamondCS
ProcessControl to regulate by permission just what can and cannot load
into memory. However, YOU are the authority in deciding what loads.

Hexalon 06-08-2007 01:30 PM

Re: Firewall

On Jun 7, 7:59 pm, "Vanguard" <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:
> "Ferd" <R...@tat.com> wrote in message

> > On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:22:53 +0200, Jim Watt <jimw...@aol.no_way>
> > wrote:

> >>Why do you feel you need a third party software 'firewall' ?

> > Jim, thanks, I have a new laptop and its very slow on internet, and I
> > suspect a lot of unwanted programs are up-dating and I want to stop
> > them. The built in firewall is too hard to configure. The machine came
> > with Nortons which I remove because the machine barely crawled along
> > and was almost unusable. now running AVG with no problems.
> > Ferd

> If they are well-behaved applications, they will provide you with an
> option to disable their updating feature, so go configure them not to
> update. If they don't that option, consider them trashware and find an
> alternative product.
>
> If you want to know what process is generating network traffic, you
> could get a sniffer, like Ethereal or Nirsoft's SmartSniff.
>
> Program can only run if they can get loaded into real (physical) memory.
> Nothing runs unless it gets there. You could use DiamondCS
> ProcessControl to regulate by permission just what can and cannot load
> into memory. However, YOU are the authority in deciding what loads.

Vista has a firewall built-in. Adjust the permissions so that those
programs are blocked.

Victek 06-08-2007 03:01 PM

Re: Firewall

> Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista. The ones I
> have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver
> compatability issues. Some even lock up computer. Any ideas?
> Ferd

PC Tools Firewall Plus is the only Vista compatible freeware firewall that
is not beta-ware. I've used it on both Vista and XP, and it works OK. It
is "rules based" and in my case it was necessary to add a few rules, but it
was eventually sorted out.

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/download/

Sebastian G. 06-08-2007 04:45 PM

Re: Firewall

Hexalon wrote:

> Vista has a firewall built-in. Adjust the permissions so that those
> programs are blocked.

And what exactly stops those untrustworthy programs to remote-control other
programs that have already been allowed?

(Just in case you don't get it... the answer is: nothing!)

Jim Watt 06-08-2007 09:20 PM

Re: Firewall

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 18:45:42 +0200, "Sebastian G." <seppi@seppig.de>
wrote:

>Hexalon wrote:
>

>> Vista has a firewall built-in. Adjust the permissions so that those
>> programs are blocked.

>And what exactly stops those untrustworthy programs to remote-control other
>programs that have already been allowed?
>
>(Just in case you don't get it... the answer is: nothing!)

except monitoring traffic and being aware of what is running
on your machine.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Ferd 06-09-2007 06:17 AM

Re: Firewall

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 15:01:42 GMT, "Victek" <Victek@xyz.com> wrote:

>"Ferd" <Rat@tat.com> wrote in message
>news:mc5i63ta357b04nc5b773v2628n2eees2f@4ax.com.. .
>> Can anyone recomend a freeware firewall for windows Vista. The ones I
>> have tried Comodo, Kerio,PC plus firewall, etc have Driver
>> compatability issues. Some even lock up computer. Any ideas?
>> Ferd

>PC Tools Firewall Plus is the only Vista compatible freeware firewall that
>is not beta-ware. I've used it on both Vista and XP, and it works OK. It
>is "rules based" and in my case it was necessary to add a few rules, but it
>was eventually sorted out.
>
>http://www.pctools.com/firewall/download/

I used pc tools plus and it completely locked puter up, had to go into
safe mode to get piuter running again. I know there is a builn
firewall, but its difficult to set up to monitor outgoing traffic
Thanks for all coimments, maybe i'll try a bit harder to get the built
in firewall running properly
Ferd