Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Install windows updates (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t510990-install-windows-updates.html)

Bob B 05-31-2007 06:19 PM

Install windows updates
 
Here is a little cracker for the experts (XP SP2)

My friend tells me that his computer is running really slow and everytime he
shuts down it first tries to install windows updates.

I ran a few anti malware programs and AVG including the root-kit but the
computer came out clean

About a month ago I had set his computer to download and install the window
updates automatically.

The reason it tries to install the updates each time he shuts down is that
they have failed to install on the previous attempt. (This means it will
take up to an hour before it switches off and by checking history the
intalls failed)

When using the computer I notice that it shows 100%cpu usage in the task
manager when it is trying to install the window updates. As soon as I end
the process showing 100% against.. svchost.....System.... The update install
stops and the computer will begin to work normally. I have tried to download
the updates manually but through the update site but with no joy (the green
cursor continues to run).

I have now switched off the automatic updates and the computer seems to work
normally.

This is not an ideal solution so please can you advise the next step

Bob



Richard 05-31-2007 06:47 PM

Re: Install windows updates
 

"Bob B" <boobbby@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:GkE7i.5996$VS.757@newsfe3-win.ntli.net...
> Here is a little cracker for the experts (XP SP2)
>
> My friend tells me that his computer is running really slow and everytime
> he shuts down it first tries to install windows updates.
>
> I ran a few anti malware programs and AVG including the root-kit but the
> computer came out clean
>
> About a month ago I had set his computer to download and install the
> window updates automatically.
>
> The reason it tries to install the updates each time he shuts down is
> that they have failed to install on the previous attempt. (This means it
> will take up to an hour before it switches off and by checking history the
> intalls failed)
>
> When using the computer I notice that it shows 100%cpu usage in the task
> manager when it is trying to install the window updates. As soon as I end
> the process showing 100% against.. svchost.....System.... The update
> install stops and the computer will begin to work normally. I have tried
> to download the updates manually but through the update site but with no
> joy (the green cursor continues to run).
>
> I have now switched off the automatic updates and the computer seems to
> work normally.
>
> This is not an ideal solution so please can you advise the next step
>
> Bob


http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891/



Clancy Wiggum 05-31-2007 07:35 PM

Re: Install windows updates
 
Richard wrote:

>
>"Bob B" <boobbby@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:GkE7i.5996$VS.757@newsfe3-win.ntli.net...
>> Here is a little cracker for the experts (XP SP2)
>>

<snip>
>>
>> This is not an ideal solution so please can you advise the next step
>>
>> Bob

>
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891/



Yes -- and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494

Both need to be applied. I was pulling my hair out on this one for
weeks before Micro$haft finally did something about it. It all
started when I installed "Microsoft Update" rather than use the old
"Windows Update". The problem seems to affect anywhere between 5-20%
of PC's, and no one at M$ has admitted the root cause of the error.
(I'd love to know why only some PC's, mostly laptops, are affected).

Look at this lengthy thread;
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...6004271831/p/1


Bob B 05-31-2007 10:42 PM

Re: Install windows updates
 

"Clancy Wiggum" <not@nyour.life> wrote in message
news:rg8u53d831oofq43msgqpvfrtdmcrd530h@4ax.com...
> Richard wrote:
>
>>
>>"Bob B" <boobbby@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:GkE7i.5996$VS.757@newsfe3-win.ntli.net...
>>> Here is a little cracker for the experts (XP SP2)
>>>

> <snip>
>>>
>>> This is not an ideal solution so please can you advise the next step
>>>
>>> Bob

>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891/

>
>
> Yes -- and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494
>
> Both need to be applied. I was pulling my hair out on this one for
> weeks before Micro$haft finally did something about it. It all
> started when I installed "Microsoft Update" rather than use the old
> "Windows Update". The problem seems to affect anywhere between 5-20%
> of PC's, and no one at M$ has admitted the root cause of the error.
> (I'd love to know why only some PC's, mostly laptops, are affected).
>
> Look at this lengthy thread;
> http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...6004271831/p/1


Many thanks for your suggestions.....I will report back when I have
installed these 2 solutions

Bob



Bob B 06-02-2007 01:00 AM

Re: Install windows updates
 

"Bob B" <boobbby@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:tbI7i.6152$J15.1702@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
>
> "Clancy Wiggum" <not@nyour.life> wrote in message
> news:rg8u53d831oofq43msgqpvfrtdmcrd530h@4ax.com...
>> Richard wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"Bob B" <boobbby@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:GkE7i.5996$VS.757@newsfe3-win.ntli.net...
>>>> Here is a little cracker for the experts (XP SP2)
>>>>

>> <snip>
>>>>
>>>> This is not an ideal solution so please can you advise the next step
>>>>
>>>> Bob
>>>
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891/

>>
>>
>> Yes -- and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494
>>
>> Both need to be applied. I was pulling my hair out on this one for
>> weeks before Micro$haft finally did something about it. It all
>> started when I installed "Microsoft Update" rather than use the old
>> "Windows Update". The problem seems to affect anywhere between 5-20%
>> of PC's, and no one at M$ has admitted the root cause of the error.
>> (I'd love to know why only some PC's, mostly laptops, are affected).
>>
>> Look at this lengthy thread;
>> http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...6004271831/p/1

>
> Many thanks for your suggestions.....I will report back when I have
> installed these 2 solutions
>
> Bob


I have installed 927891 but not sure how to instal the update to client
version 3

Anyway I can now download the updates (Takes ages as the cpu runs at 100%)
but still they wont install and the message "failed" still occurs.

How do I go to the next step?

Bob


>
>




Clancy Wiggum 06-02-2007 02:13 AM

Re: Install windows updates
 
Bob B wrote:

>I have installed 927891 but not sure how to instal the update to client
>version 3
>
>Anyway I can now download the updates (Takes ages as the cpu runs at 100%)
>but still they wont install and the message "failed" still occurs.
>
>How do I go to the next step?



Disable updates (like you said you already did). Then, restart.

While updates are disabled get:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237

(which is WSUS version 3.0 client program)

Install, then reboot. May take 2x reboot.

This is a very controversial issue for Microsoft, in fact - if you
call them and explain it they will immediately ask to remote into your
machine and look at logs.


Bob B 06-02-2007 05:24 PM

Re: Install windows updates
 

"Clancy Wiggum" <not@nyour.life> wrote in message
news:p6k163dfchcrpe14b7mokpp95d4h7bu23d@4ax.com...
> Bob B wrote:
>
>>I have installed 927891 but not sure how to instal the update to client
>>version 3
>>
>>Anyway I can now download the updates (Takes ages as the cpu runs at 100%)
>>but still they wont install and the message "failed" still occurs.
>>
>>How do I go to the next step?

>
>
> Disable updates (like you said you already did). Then, restart.
>
> While updates are disabled get:
>
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
>
> (which is WSUS version 3.0 client program)
>
> Install, then reboot. May take 2x reboot.
>
> This is a very controversial issue for Microsoft, in fact - if you
> call them and explain it they will immediately ask to remote into your
> machine and look at logs.


Okay so I have downloaded installed both fixes so thanks for that!.... I
then went to download the updates which took 5-10 minutes, although slow
this was much quicker then before. All 5 updates still "failed" to install.

Any further suggestions please

Bob
>




Clancy Wiggum 06-02-2007 06:16 PM

Re: Install windows updates
 
Bob B wrote:

>Okay so I have downloaded installed both fixes so thanks for that!.... I
>then went to download the updates which took 5-10 minutes, although slow
>this was much quicker then before. All 5 updates still "failed" to install.


This is a new problem then.. Your 100% CPU problem is fixed, now you
say 5 updates failed to install. What were they?

>Any further suggestions please


I would suggest going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com with
Internet Explorer and try a manual scan. Report back with any errors.






Bob B 06-03-2007 12:12 AM

Re: Install windows updates
 

"Clancy Wiggum" <not@nyour.life> wrote in message
news:qoc363pv8s32rinsvqiohadikgo1b1ep0j@4ax.com...
> Bob B wrote:
>
>>Okay so I have downloaded installed both fixes so thanks for that!.... I
>>then went to download the updates which took 5-10 minutes, although slow
>>this was much quicker then before. All 5 updates still "failed" to
>>install.

>
> This is a new problem then.. Your 100% CPU problem is fixed, now you
> say 5 updates failed to install. What were they?
>
>>Any further suggestions please

>
> I would suggest going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com with
> Internet Explorer and try a manual scan. Report back with any errors.


I have still got the automatic scan turned off and did carry out the manual
scan

The failed installs where

powerpoint 2003 KB 9333669

Excel 2003 KB9333666

Office 2003 KB 934180

Outlook 2003 KB 934708

+ one other which I also think was a 2003 entry

I will take special note when we try again

Thanks for your help and I am sure it will be sorted before long!

Bob


>
>
>
>
>




Clancy Wiggum 06-03-2007 12:25 AM

Re: Install windows updates
 
Bob B wrote:

>Thanks for your help and I am sure it will be sorted before long!



You're welcome.

This is where I get off... I knew about the first problem, but you'll
need to consult someone else regarding failed installation of updates.

Call Microsoft if it persists.



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.