Velocity Reviews

-   -   Trunk, STP and duplex (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t509357-trunk-stp-and-duplex.html)

newbie 05-24-2007 10:49 PM

Trunk, STP and duplex

Hi,

Obviously, I am missing something very basic.

I want to hook a new switch (3560) to an existing one (2950).

On the existing 2950, I define a port as trunk and I define an encapsulation
mode.
I define the corresponding port on 3560 with the same parameters.

I get all the VLan on the new switch and everything is fine.
I am able to see the trunk port STP status on the 2950 as "forwarding".

Now the point I do not understand : whenever I put one of the 2 ports (on
2950 or 3560 end) in half duplex mode, the port on the 2950 will be force to
"Blocking" state.

(And actually, I have troubles to get it back even forcing the ports in full
duplex.)

Could explain me the root cause for it ? I feel that I am missing an
important point.

Thanks in advance,

A puzzled newbie..

Trendkill 05-24-2007 11:19 PM

Re: Trunk, STP and duplex

On May 24, 6:49 pm, "newbie" <x...@xxx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Obviously, I am missing something very basic.
>
> I want to hook a new switch (3560) to an existing one (2950).
>
> On the existing 2950, I define a port as trunk and I define an encapsulation
> mode.
> I define the corresponding port on 3560 with the same parameters.
>
> I get all the VLan on the new switch and everything is fine.
> I am able to see the trunk port STP status on the 2950 as "forwarding".
>
> Now the point I do not understand : whenever I put one of the 2 ports (on
> 2950 or 3560 end) in half duplex mode, the port on the 2950 will be force to
> "Blocking" state.
>
> (And actually, I have troubles to get it back even forcing the ports in full
> duplex.)
>
> Could explain me the root cause for it ? I feel that I am missing an
> important point.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> A puzzled newbie..

Trunks must be full-duplex, and must be the same speed.

>From Cisco:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801fc1e5.html

In order to assign a port to a trunk, the port must comply with the
following requirements:

·A layer 3 interface is not configured on the port.

·A VLAN is not configured on the port.

·The port is not assigned to a different trunk.

·An available MAC address exists which can be assigned to the port.

·Auto-negotiation mode is not configured on the port.

·The port is in full-duplex mode.

·All ports in a trunk must operate at the same rate.

·All ports in a trunk must have the same ingress filtering and tagged
modes.

·All ports in a trunk must have the same back pressure and flow
control modes.

·All ports in a trunk must have the same priority.

·All ports in a trunk must have the same transceiver type.

·All ports in a trunk must belong to the same module, that means they
must be located on the same slot.

Trendkill 05-24-2007 11:39 PM

Re: Trunk, STP and duplex

On May 24, 7:19 pm, Trendkill <jpma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 24, 6:49 pm, "newbie" <x...@xxx.net> wrote:
>

> > Hi,

> > Obviously, I am missing something very basic.

> > I want to hook a new switch (3560) to an existing one (2950).

> > On the existing 2950, I define a port as trunk and I define an encapsulation
> > mode.
> > I define the corresponding port on 3560 with the same parameters.

> > I get all the VLan on the new switch and everything is fine.
> > I am able to see the trunk port STP status on the 2950 as "forwarding".

> > Now the point I do not understand : whenever I put one of the 2 ports (on
> > 2950 or 3560 end) in half duplex mode, the port on the 2950 will be force to
> > "Blocking" state.

> > (And actually, I have troubles to get it back even forcing the ports in full
> > duplex.)

> > Could explain me the root cause for it ? I feel that I am missing an
> > important point.

> > Thanks in advance,

> > A puzzled newbie..

> Trunks must be full-duplex, and must be the same speed.
>
> >From Cisco:

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...roducts_config...
>
> In order to assign a port to a trunk, the port must comply with the
> following requirements:
>
> ·A layer 3 interface is not configured on the port.
>
> ·A VLAN is not configured on the port.
>
> ·The port is not assigned to a different trunk.
>
> ·An available MAC address exists which can be assigned to the port.
>
> ·Auto-negotiation mode is not configured on the port.
>
> ·The port is in full-duplex mode.
>
> ·All ports in a trunk must operate at the same rate.
>
> ·All ports in a trunk must have the same ingress filtering and tagged
> modes.
>
> ·All ports in a trunk must have the same back pressure and flow
> control modes.
>
> ·All ports in a trunk must have the same priority.
>
> ·All ports in a trunk must have the same transceiver type.
>
> ·All ports in a trunk must belong to the same module, that means they
> must be located on the same slot.

Well that link was for link-aggregation, not vlan trunking, but I'm
pretty sure the rules still apply. I can't decisively say that half-
duplex wont work (as I have not tried it), but I'm fairly certain that
full-duplex is a requirement for trunks. As soon as you move to half-
duplex, the port is taken out of trunking. I'm not sure why it is
shown as 'blocking', presuming you did a show spantree and that is
what you are talking about. If the switches only have one
interconnection, and this downstream switch does not have another link
to elsewhere in the network, it should be forwarding on all ports in
all VLANs. If it does have another link, then the blocking may make
sense depending on root and spantree priorities.

newbie 05-25-2007 03:33 PM

Re: Trunk, STP and duplex

Hi,

"Trendkill"

> > Hi,

> > Obviously, I am missing something very basic.

> > I want to hook a new switch (3560) to an existing one (2950).

> > On the existing 2950, I define a port as trunk and I define an
> > encapsulation
> > mode.
> > I define the corresponding port on 3560 with the same parameters.

> > I get all the VLan on the new switch and everything is fine.
> > I am able to see the trunk port STP status on the 2950 as "forwarding".

> > Now the point I do not understand : whenever I put one of the 2 ports
> > (on
> > 2950 or 3560 end) in half duplex mode, the port on the 2950 will be
> > force to
> > "Blocking" state.

> > (And actually, I have troubles to get it back even forcing the ports in
> > full
> > duplex.)

> > Could explain me the root cause for it ? I feel that I am missing an
> > important point.

> > Thanks in advance,

> > A puzzled newbie..

> Trunks must be full-duplex, and must be the same speed.

<<
Well that link was for link-aggregation, not vlan trunking, but I'm
pretty sure the rules still apply. I can't decisively say that half-
duplex wont work (as I have not tried it), but I'm fairly certain that

Well ... I prefer to speak of "etherchannel" or "teaming" and avoid "trunk"
in that meaning.
No wonder why...

To make it worse, you find in Cisco documentation paragraphs such as :
"Configuring EtherChannel and VLAN Trunks"
I'd rather that they kept the two things clearly separated.

<<
full-duplex is a requirement for trunks. As soon as you move to half-
duplex, the port is taken out of trunking. I'm not sure why it is

I checked several books and saw nothing more precise.

In a BCMSN book, I just stumbled onto that note :
"Verify that the speed and duplexing configuration on both sides are correct
and that you're using the correct cable type (crossover vs straight)".
That's all.

<<
shown as 'blocking', presuming you did a show spantree and that is
what you are talking about. If the switches only have one

Yep, I checked the spanning-tree status. On the 2950 sw I have 2 others
trunks which are forwarding.

<<
interconnection, and this downstream switch does not have another link
to elsewhere in the network, it should be forwarding on all ports in
all VLANs. If it does have another link, then the blocking may make
sense depending on root and spantree priorities.

The 3650 is a "leaf" switch. It behaves the same even if nothing is hook on
it.

The port is blocked as soon as I put it in "half duplex". Otherwise it works
fine.

My concern is that I don't see conceptually why it should require full
duplex.
I fear to miss something important.

Regards,