Velocity Reviews

-   -   getcwd changes? how can I get current path? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t509023-getcwd-changes-how-can-i-get-current-path.html)

Jona 05-23-2007 08:51 PM

getcwd changes? how can I get current path?

Issue:
*Get the path location of my executable.

Semi Fix..
*Using getcwd() or plainly giving no path would also do the job...
say reading a file...

*The problem is when I call other functions like...
CreateDirectory("foo",NULL)
it changes my default directory to \foo folder...
so when I call getcwd() or simply don't give a path to access a file,
now the default folder is foo ....
Any Idea why this happens? how can it be defaulted back to its
original path?

is there a better way to do this?

thanks,
Jonathan

Jack Klein 05-24-2007 03:51 AM

Re: getcwd changes? how can I get current path?

On 23 May 2007 13:51:52 -0700, Jona <medicalsounds@hotmail.com> wrote
in comp.lang.c++:

> Issue:
> *Get the path location of my executable.

The standard C++ language does not define the operation of file
systems, because different operating systems implement them very
differently. So the C++ language has no concept of path, nor any
functions that deal with it.

The first string in the second argument to main, conventionally called
argv[0], might contain the full path of your executable, depending on
your operating system, or it might not.

> Semi Fix..
> *Using getcwd() or plainly giving no path would also do the job...
> say reading a file...

There is no function "getcwd()" in the standard C++ library. If your
platform provides such a function, it is an extension and your
compiler and platform define it, not the C++ language.

> *The problem is when I call other functions like...
> CreateDirectory("foo",NULL)
> it changes my default directory to \foo folder...
> so when I call getcwd() or simply don't give a path to access a file,
> now the default folder is foo ....
> Any Idea why this happens? how can it be defaulted back to its
> original path?
>
> is there a better way to do this?

You need to ask in a platform specific newsgroup. In your case,
news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 is a good one.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com