Velocity Reviews

-   -   DNS - Forwarding server vs. caching-only server (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t50871-dns-forwarding-server-vs-caching-only-server.html)

David Fox 10-05-2004 02:16 AM

DNS - Forwarding server vs. caching-only server

Can someone explain how a Forwarding server is functionally any
different from a Caching-only server?

A Forwarding server forwards all DNS requests to another DNS server
unless it has the requested information in its cache.

A Caching-only server forwards all DNS requests to another DNS server
unless it has the requested information in its cache.

What's the difference?

Guan Foo Wah 10-05-2004 05:39 PM

Re: DNS - Forwarding server vs. caching-only server

A caching-only server will try to resolve a received DNS querry using
iterative methods based on the root hints. By default, once you install the
DNS server on your Windows, without any configuration your server is already
a caching-only server.

A forwarding server just forwards any DNS querry to another DNS server to
resolve (using recursive methods). Depending on the settings, if the querry
fails, this DNS server will try to resolve the DNS querry using iterative
methods based on the root hints. The results of the querry will also be
cached. So in my own terms, this is a forwarding and caching only server.

news:77f5a214.0410041816.6c557067@posting.google.c om...

Steven L Umbach 10-05-2004 06:19 PM

Re: DNS - Forwarding server vs. caching-only server

A caching server can be a forwarding dns server but a forwarding dns server
is not necessarily a caching only dns server. A caching only dns server does
not contain any dns zones and therefore can not be authoritative for any
lookups. --- Steve