Velocity Reviews

-   -   parser error message: Ambiguous match found (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t508312-parser-error-message-ambiguous-match-found.html)

Francois 05-22-2007 10:22 AM

parser error message: Ambiguous match found

This is from a Dot Net 1.1 project converted to Dot Net 2.0.

In 1.1, all was fine without any problem.

In 2.0, on the developement machine all seems more or less OK.

In release mode on the test machine, I have this error. at Line 1.
Which is very explanative.

What should I look for ?

Thanks.
François.

Kevin Spencer 05-22-2007 11:38 AM

Re: parser error message: Ambiguous match found

Look for class name references that omit namespaces. It sounds like you have
a conflict of 2 class name references (without explicit namespace) that
could be in more than one namespace.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

Printing Components, Email Components,
http://www.miradyne.net

Francois 05-22-2007 03:22 PM

Re: parser error message: Ambiguous match found

Seems that it was a variable name problem.
In the ASPX page, I had MyZone ID.
In the CS code, I used myZone variable.

I fear this was the origin of the problem.

I thing I did not still understand is that I could run the pages on the
development computer. Even if I was not under debugging. (and of course no
build error).

But on a computer without dev tools, I had the ambiguous error.

Thanks.

epU9kWGnHHA.716@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

Hans Kesting 05-22-2007 03:29 PM

Re: parser error message: Ambiguous match found

> Look for class name references that omit namespaces. It sounds like
> you have a conflict of 2 class name references (without explicit
> namespace) that could be in more than one namespace.
>
> Kevin Spencer

And some candidates for this are 'Menu' and 'Login', both of which now exist
in System.Web.UI.WebControls. (I had a compile-time issue with both)

Strange that the error is only on the test machine?

Hans Kesting