Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Windows 64bit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f46-windows-64bit.html)
-   -   Modem for Vista 64 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t508149-modem-for-vista-64-a.html)

XS11E 05-21-2007 06:24 PM

Modem for Vista 64
 
Back many weeks ago I asked about Vista 64 compatible modems, couldn't
find any drivers for my ancient Hayes WinModem. I looked at
Microsoft's compatibility list but found the pickings were very thin.

I finally admitted defeat and installed my USR Sportster external which
was my absolute last choice for two reasons, I wanted an internal modem
(no more power outlets!) and I use NetZero as a backup which doesn't
work well with USR modems* but.... I didn't want to buy something that
might or might not work so the USR is installed.

The reason for this post is to praise USR, my Sportster is a very old
one and it's NOT on MSFTs compatibility list nor would Vista 64 install
it using included drivers so I went to USR's site and found Vista 32
and Vista 64 drivers for a huge number of old, obsolete USR modems.
The downloaded driver worked perfectly and all is well.

So Kudos to USR, they're doing what we wish ALL manufacturers would do,
supporting legacy hardware!


*NetZero/Juno acknowledges the incompatibility problem with USR modems
which causes low speed connections and, last I heard, have no intention
of doing anything about it.

Ronnie Vernon MVP 05-21-2007 07:10 PM

Re: Modem for Vista 64
 
Usually products are not placed on the compatibility list unless the
manufacturer submits the product for testing and certification.

You might want to let Microsoft know about your experience with this modem.
Go to the following website to submit the feedback. Be sure to include the
speciifc brand, model number and any other details about the modem. Also
include the driver version as well as the URL for the website where you
found the drivers.

Send Feedback:
http://feedback.windowsvista.microso...om/gp/cp_vista

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User


"XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9937741809FC1xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
> Back many weeks ago I asked about Vista 64 compatible modems, couldn't
> find any drivers for my ancient Hayes WinModem. I looked at
> Microsoft's compatibility list but found the pickings were very thin.
>
> I finally admitted defeat and installed my USR Sportster external which
> was my absolute last choice for two reasons, I wanted an internal modem
> (no more power outlets!) and I use NetZero as a backup which doesn't
> work well with USR modems* but.... I didn't want to buy something that
> might or might not work so the USR is installed.
>
> The reason for this post is to praise USR, my Sportster is a very old
> one and it's NOT on MSFTs compatibility list nor would Vista 64 install
> it using included drivers so I went to USR's site and found Vista 32
> and Vista 64 drivers for a huge number of old, obsolete USR modems.
> The downloaded driver worked perfectly and all is well.
>
> So Kudos to USR, they're doing what we wish ALL manufacturers would do,
> supporting legacy hardware!
>
>
> *NetZero/Juno acknowledges the incompatibility problem with USR modems
> which causes low speed connections and, last I heard, have no intention
> of doing anything about it.



Dale White 05-21-2007 07:38 PM

Re: Modem for Vista 64
 
Funny enough, I just replaced an Internal USR model with an external one.
The problem with this model, is that A it was a winmodem and B, even with
USR supplied drivers, the modem would just disappear and Vista would report
the modem is no longer there. Of course, the reason I hate Internal modems,
was the only way to get that modem back, was to power cycle the PC (As a
reboot alone never works).

Something you might be interested in knowing, is the new USB based modems
don't have a Power supply, they pull their power from the USB port. I had my
doubts about not having external power, but the modem has worked better than
the Winmodem every did (even under XP)

I'm still shocked at the outageous cost of dial-up 56k modems. I could have
bought the top of the line model for $90, which is what I paid for the top
of the line model in 1995. Even the one I went with was $60, which is a bit
high, but if you have tt have it, they have you by the dingleberries.

In case you are in the need of an upgrade, I would recommend looking over
this modem, has it does rid you of the power cord
http://www.usr.com/support/product-t...asp?prod=5633b





"XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9937741809FC1xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
> Back many weeks ago I asked about Vista 64 compatible modems, couldn't
> find any drivers for my ancient Hayes WinModem. I looked at
> Microsoft's compatibility list but found the pickings were very thin.
>
> I finally admitted defeat and installed my USR Sportster external which
> was my absolute last choice for two reasons, I wanted an internal modem
> (no more power outlets!) and I use NetZero as a backup which doesn't
> work well with USR modems* but.... I didn't want to buy something that
> might or might not work so the USR is installed.
>
> The reason for this post is to praise USR, my Sportster is a very old
> one and it's NOT on MSFTs compatibility list nor would Vista 64 install
> it using included drivers so I went to USR's site and found Vista 32
> and Vista 64 drivers for a huge number of old, obsolete USR modems.
> The downloaded driver worked perfectly and all is well.
>
> So Kudos to USR, they're doing what we wish ALL manufacturers would do,
> supporting legacy hardware!
>
>
> *NetZero/Juno acknowledges the incompatibility problem with USR modems
> which causes low speed connections and, last I heard, have no intention
> of doing anything about it.




Dominic Payer 05-21-2007 10:28 PM

Re: Modem for Vista 64
 
See http://www.usr.com/support/s-windows.asp for USRobotics driver chart and
note "USRobotics supports, or will support in the near future, Windows Vista
and Windows Vista 64-bit in all our currently shipping products."



"XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9937741809FC1xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
> Back many weeks ago I asked about Vista 64 compatible modems, couldn't
> find any drivers for my ancient Hayes WinModem. I looked at
> Microsoft's compatibility list but found the pickings were very thin.
>
> I finally admitted defeat and installed my USR Sportster external which
> was my absolute last choice for two reasons, I wanted an internal modem
> (no more power outlets!) and I use NetZero as a backup which doesn't
> work well with USR modems* but.... I didn't want to buy something that
> might or might not work so the USR is installed.
>
> The reason for this post is to praise USR, my Sportster is a very old
> one and it's NOT on MSFTs compatibility list nor would Vista 64 install
> it using included drivers so I went to USR's site and found Vista 32
> and Vista 64 drivers for a huge number of old, obsolete USR modems.
> The downloaded driver worked perfectly and all is well.
>
> So Kudos to USR, they're doing what we wish ALL manufacturers would do,
> supporting legacy hardware!
>
>
> *NetZero/Juno acknowledges the incompatibility problem with USR modems
> which causes low speed connections and, last I heard, have no intention
> of doing anything about it.



XS11E 05-21-2007 10:44 PM

Re: Modem for Vista 64
 
"Dale White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote:

> I'm still shocked at the outageous cost of dial-up 56k modems.


The main reason I installed the Sportster is that I already had it
sitting on a shelf so the cost was $0.00 which I find an acceptable
cost! ;-)

I think the reason that dialup modems are so high is that sales are
probably way down, most computers came with built in modems until the
last couple of years and people who already have modems aren't looking
to replace them. I only need a modem to send/receive FAXes and that's
pretty seldom.

bjr 05-22-2007 12:54 AM

Re: Modem for Vista 64
 
I found a Vista 64 driver for my SM56 Motorola internal modem here:
http://www.radarsync.com/vista/
You might give it a shot.

XS11E wrote:
> Back many weeks ago I asked about Vista 64 compatible modems, couldn't
> find any drivers for my ancient Hayes WinModem. I looked at
> Microsoft's compatibility list but found the pickings were very thin.
>
> I finally admitted defeat and installed my USR Sportster external which
> was my absolute last choice for two reasons, I wanted an internal modem
> (no more power outlets!) and I use NetZero as a backup which doesn't
> work well with USR modems* but.... I didn't want to buy something that
> might or might not work so the USR is installed.
>
> The reason for this post is to praise USR, my Sportster is a very old
> one and it's NOT on MSFTs compatibility list nor would Vista 64 install
> it using included drivers so I went to USR's site and found Vista 32
> and Vista 64 drivers for a huge number of old, obsolete USR modems.
> The downloaded driver worked perfectly and all is well.
>
> So Kudos to USR, they're doing what we wish ALL manufacturers would do,
> supporting legacy hardware!
>
>
> *NetZero/Juno acknowledges the incompatibility problem with USR modems
> which causes low speed connections and, last I heard, have no intention
> of doing anything about it.


Charlie Russel - MVP 05-22-2007 01:17 AM

Re: Modem for Vista 64
 
Good information, and thanks for the report back. This highlights something
that we've been saying here from the beginning - using super cheap
"winmodem" or "host based printer" solutions that require specialized
drivers is a bad idea if you like to be on the leading edge of technology.
The catchup period of drivers can definitely be an issue. And a solution
that takes all the smarts out of the device and requires that it be
connected to a Windows computer is going to definitely require a specialized
driver. It's why I also don't like USB connected DSL/Cable Modems. Bad idea.
Go with an Ethernet connected modem that plugs into a Router/Gateway and you
now have platform independence and no drivers required. Buy a printer that
understands PCL and PS both, and has a network card built in, and you are
assured of being able to use it on just about any OS out there. Buy a
standard external modem (ie, "hayes compatible") and you're likely to be
able to make it work. Or go with a company that has demonstrated that they
care and provide drivers for their legacy devices, like USR in this case.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel


"XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9937741809FC1xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
> Back many weeks ago I asked about Vista 64 compatible modems, couldn't
> find any drivers for my ancient Hayes WinModem. I looked at
> Microsoft's compatibility list but found the pickings were very thin.
>
> I finally admitted defeat and installed my USR Sportster external which
> was my absolute last choice for two reasons, I wanted an internal modem
> (no more power outlets!) and I use NetZero as a backup which doesn't
> work well with USR modems* but.... I didn't want to buy something that
> might or might not work so the USR is installed.
>
> The reason for this post is to praise USR, my Sportster is a very old
> one and it's NOT on MSFTs compatibility list nor would Vista 64 install
> it using included drivers so I went to USR's site and found Vista 32
> and Vista 64 drivers for a huge number of old, obsolete USR modems.
> The downloaded driver worked perfectly and all is well.
>
> So Kudos to USR, they're doing what we wish ALL manufacturers would do,
> supporting legacy hardware!
>
>
> *NetZero/Juno acknowledges the incompatibility problem with USR modems
> which causes low speed connections and, last I heard, have no intention
> of doing anything about it.



Tom Ferguson 05-22-2007 01:34 AM

Re: Modem for Vista 64
 
I think the question in this instance involves a modem to connect
through telephone lines to another such modem or front-end
"concentrator", a communications hardware "bit" for a server farm rather
than modem for Ethernet/ADSL For cable connection. However, some of the
points you make remain valid, in particular, those concerning those
modems or modem/router/switches that implement some functions in
software rather than on-board hardware/circuitry.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User


"Charlie Russel - MVP" <charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in
message news:2B98D879-0764-41C5-A163-72F41BC69D6E@microsoft.com...
> Good information, and thanks for the report back. This highlights
> something that we've been saying here from the beginning - using super
> cheap "winmodem" or "host based printer" solutions that require
> specialized drivers is a bad idea if you like to be on the leading
> edge of technology. The catchup period of drivers can definitely be an
> issue. And a solution that takes all the smarts out of the device and
> requires that it be connected to a Windows computer is going to
> definitely require a specialized driver. It's why I also don't like
> USB connected DSL/Cable Modems. Bad idea. Go with an Ethernet
> connected modem that plugs into a Router/Gateway and you now have
> platform independence and no drivers required. Buy a printer that
> understands PCL and PS both, and has a network card built in, and you
> are assured of being able to use it on just about any OS out there.
> Buy a standard external modem (ie, "hayes compatible") and you're
> likely to be able to make it work. Or go with a company that has
> demonstrated that they care and provide drivers for their legacy
> devices, like USR in this case.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
>
>
> "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9937741809FC1xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
>> Back many weeks ago I asked about Vista 64 compatible modems,
>> couldn't
>> find any drivers for my ancient Hayes WinModem. I looked at
>> Microsoft's compatibility list but found the pickings were very thin.
>>
>> I finally admitted defeat and installed my USR Sportster external
>> which
>> was my absolute last choice for two reasons, I wanted an internal
>> modem
>> (no more power outlets!) and I use NetZero as a backup which doesn't
>> work well with USR modems* but.... I didn't want to buy something
>> that
>> might or might not work so the USR is installed.
>>
>> The reason for this post is to praise USR, my Sportster is a very old
>> one and it's NOT on MSFTs compatibility list nor would Vista 64
>> install
>> it using included drivers so I went to USR's site and found Vista 32
>> and Vista 64 drivers for a huge number of old, obsolete USR modems.
>> The downloaded driver worked perfectly and all is well.
>>
>> So Kudos to USR, they're doing what we wish ALL manufacturers would
>> do,
>> supporting legacy hardware!
>>
>>
>> *NetZero/Juno acknowledges the incompatibility problem with USR
>> modems
>> which causes low speed connections and, last I heard, have no
>> intention
>> of doing anything about it.

>



XS11E 05-22-2007 02:22 AM

Re: Modem for Vista 64
 
bjr <bj-nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

> I found a Vista 64 driver for my SM56 Motorola internal modem
> here: http://www.radarsync.com/vista/
> You might give it a shot.


Nothing there, I've looked there and many, many more places.

But since I decided to install the USR modem I don't need any drivers,
USR provides them as I said in the original post.


XS11E 05-22-2007 02:34 AM

Re: Modem for Vista 64
 
"Charlie Russel - MVP" <charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote:

> Or go with a company that has demonstrated that they care and
> provide drivers for their legacy devices, like USR in this case.


Amen! I also have to say nice things about Microtek, I have a
ScanMaker V6upl which is a pretty obsolete scanner but Microtek has
Vista 64 and XP 64 drivers. My Konica Minolta Magicolor 2400w isn't
current but they provide drivers for Vista 64. Logitech is a class
act, their Vista 64 driver created a conflict with Quicken, after going
through tech support they emailed me they would replace the SetPoint
software with an update that would resolve the conflict.

I think we might share the good companies along with dissing the rotten
outfits such as Epson that really don't care if your hardware works or
not.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.