Velocity Reviews

-   -   Monitor/Display and keyboard cleaning tip? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t506880-monitor-display-and-keyboard-cleaning-tip.html)

Scratch 05-16-2007 08:21 AM

Monitor/Display and keyboard cleaning tip?

Hi,

I have a notebook for sale. It's an old one, but it, I though, would
be nice to clean up as much as I could. I tried wiping its monitor
with glasses-cleaning-kit thing; but, somehow not like says it, it
leaves some white stripes on screen... I thought about using dishsoap
solution soaked wipes to do so as long as it's not a stupid idea.

And, the keyboard! Please tell me what to do this it! Using a vac is
something on my mind for the dust.

I need a few tips. If you have sold your hardware(s) on eBay or
wherever, what did you do to bring your stuff up to reasonable
condition?

Thanks!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 05-16-2007 08:41 AM

Re: Monitor/Display and keyboard cleaning tip?

Scratch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a notebook for sale. It's an old one, but it, I though, would
> be nice to clean up as much as I could. I tried wiping its monitor
> with glasses-cleaning-kit thing; but, somehow not like says it, it
> leaves some white stripes on screen... I thought about using dishsoap
> solution soaked wipes to do so as long as it's not a stupid idea.
>
> And, the keyboard! Please tell me what to do this it! Using a vac is
> something on my mind for the dust.
>
> I need a few tips. If you have sold your hardware(s) on eBay or
> wherever, what did you do to bring your stuff up to reasonable
> condition?

Do what what you were thinking about soap, but be very careful to use a
cloth that is not too wet. Little droplets running down the screen can
short out pixels. Same on the keyboard, be careful to not use too much
water.

loOP9 05-16-2007 03:05 PM

On May 16, 4:41 am, Rgr <a...@your.isp.com> wrote:
> Scratch wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I have a notebook for sale. It's an old one, but it, I though, would
> > be nice to clean up as much as I could. I tried wiping its monitor
> > with glasses-cleaning-kit thing; but, somehow not like says it, it
> > leaves some white stripes on screen... I thought about using dishsoap
> > solution soaked wipes to do so as long as it's not a stupid idea.

> > And, the keyboard! Please tell me what to do this it! Using a vac is
> > something on my mind for the dust.

> > I need a few tips. If you have sold your hardware(s) on eBay or
> > wherever, what did you do to bring your stuff up to reasonable
> > condition?

> Do what what you were thinking about soap, but be very careful to use a
> cloth that is not too wet. Little droplets running down the screen can
> short out pixels. Same on the keyboard, be careful to not use too much
> water.

I use an alcohol/water solution. Like the previous poster suggests,
use a damp cloth, not wet, and mix about 50/50 rubbing alcohol and
water. Works pretty good.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 05-16-2007 04:54 PM

Scratch <Scratch@akc.com> wrote:

>I have a notebook for sale. It's an old one, but it, I though, would
>be nice to clean up as much as I could. I tried wiping its monitor
>with glasses-cleaning-kit thing; but, somehow not like says it, it
>leaves some white stripes on screen... I thought about using dishsoap
>solution soaked wipes to do so as long as it's not a stupid idea.

Just don't use Ammonia on the screen, it will eat away at the anti
glare coating.
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40865443@N00/499142480/