Velocity Reviews

-   -   USB suddenly died, system started to freeze a lot (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t506803-usb-suddenly-died-system-started-to-freeze-a-lot.html)

Indi 05-15-2007 10:58 PM

USB suddenly died, system started to freeze a lot

I have Acer Travelmate 4052 laptop with Centrino 1.6 Ghz processor, I
took Hardisk from my PC to copy some data to my laptop and for that I
bought a 3.5 inch casing which came along with an adaptor. It went
well for a hour and copied some data but after that a message popup
saying POWER SURGE ON USB HUB and pulled the usb connector and
connector to the other remaing two ports alternatively but same
message. When I restarted my computer and try to connect as usual my
microsoft usb mouse, my system froze, nothing worked alt+crtl+del,
nothing, so restarted but same problem on other ports as well. I
reinstalled the USB controller but to no use, I updated the BIOS,
enable - disable USB legacy support and USB Mass Storage suporrt from
the BIOS but to no use. I tried to reinstall the same Winxp pro with
integrated SP2 which was earlier on the system but it froze too,
sometimes at intial copying of files after formating, sometimes at 34
min remaining screen, then at 9 min, and 5 min remaining to complete
the setup.

I consulted one very popular laptop repair shop and the technician
told me that it is a very common problem with computer and especially
laptops and your Intel 82801 DBM chip has to be replaced, there is no
alternative, and he was not sure whether it will be ok again, if not
he said then I have to replace the motherboard. As it was a costly
step, I tried many forum for help but to no avail. Nothing helped me
at all.

Finally, as I system as out of warranty and being a electronic
hobbiest myself, I took apart my laptop and tried something really
stupid. I placed my system in front of the airconditioner and
restarted the 39 min installation process and walla it did completed
successfully. Then I installed all the drivers successfully, I didnt
tried the USB at all that time but I noticed that my CPU was
constantly at 100% as the system was at IDLE state. I was sure about
any virus or malware as firstly after installing windows with SP2 i
updated the hotfixes and critical updates from AUTOPATCHER then
installed the Internet security suite then connected to internet to
update it, so I scanned and as expected nothing showed up. Then I
tried the SysInternal which is now owned by Microsoft, the Process
Explorer as no doubt the System was slow to 25% of its original speed,
I try to figure out by searching the running thread from Process
Explorer then I saw 4 threads which were taking all the CPU usage and
to no surprise these were USBPORT.SYS+0x5fe6 (ALL FOUR), when I try to
kill these threads, access was denied so I suspend them all and my cpu
immediately comes to actual idle state 2-5%.

I have not found any cure so far please help me. My system boots very
very slow then I have to wait for the desktop things to appear so that
I can open the Process Explorer to shut those USB threads and then I
can work.

Is it really the DBM chip fault which I read somewhere as Intel
SouthBridge 82801 DB ICH4-M. As I explained I tried everything so far
as I am a network engineer myself and electronic hobbiest so far
whatever I could, I tried but nothing. I even tried the PCMCIA usb
card, it did work once with mouse but didnt worked again. I asked the
same technician he said how can this PCMCIA card will work as it only
changes the Interface, controller on the motherboard still is the same
which has to work.

I tried to find the schematic so that I can check the voltages across
the MOBO but only could find the service manual that too for
Travelmate 290 which has identical motherboard.

Please please help me, I am sure that Google group can help me out
here.

INDI

Gazwad 05-15-2007 11:27 PM

Re: USB suddenly died, system started to freeze a lot

Indi <sbrars@gmail.com>, the skin-headed-delinquent and impertinent
tan-tracker who likes ferocious tubespout riding with batfish, and whose
partner is a scrubber with a frightful growler, wrote in

Buy another laptop you whinging ****.

is but a dream within a dream.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 05-15-2007 11:31 PM

Indi <sbrars@gmail.com> wrote:

>Explorer then I saw 4 threads which were taking all the CPU usage and
>to no surprise these were USBPORT.SYS+0x5fe6 (ALL FOUR), when I try to
>kill these threads, access was denied so I suspend them all and my cpu
>immediately comes to actual idle state 2-5%.

>Please please help me, I am sure that Google group can help me out
>here.

Google groups :)

Start | Run <type in>
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

Drop down to USB controllers

Double click on each host controller, Advanced
see what % each is using - kill anything over 10%

Double click on each hub, power and see what type of amps each is
using kill the obviously high one(s).

Or something to that effect... Not sure what your going to lose.
--

http://www.luckyninja.com/flash/laibach_for_web.swf

Indi 05-18-2007 08:59 PM

On May 15, 4:31 pm, Pennyw...@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:
> Indi<sbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Explorer then I saw 4 threads which were taking all the CPU usage and
> >to no surprise these were USBPORT.SYS+0x5fe6 (ALL FOUR), when I try to
> >kill these threads, access was denied so I suspend them all and my cpu
> >immediately comes to actual idle state 2-5%.
> >Please please help me, I am sure that Google group can help me out
> >here.

> Google groups :)
>
> Start | Run <type in>
> devmgmt.msc
> <enter>
>
> Drop down to USB controllers
>
> Double click on each host controller, Advanced
> see what % each is using - kill anything over 10%
>
> Double click on each hub, power and see what type of amps each is
> using kill the obviously high one(s).
>
> Or something to that effect... Not sure what your going to lose.
> --
>
> http://www.luckyninja.com/flash/laibach_for_web.swf

I am process explorer and whenever I boot I have to go to the system
threads and have to disable all the USBPORT.SYS threads, 4 of them, as
they kept my CPU to 100%, I heard about the microsoft fix and try to
use it also which says that some services or somethings keep on
running eventhough you unplugged all the devices from USB, like it
assumes that device is still running and even if you try to reinstall
xp then also it will freeze during the setup according to that.
Nothing so far

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 05-18-2007 10:20 PM

Indi <sbrars@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am process explorer and whenever I boot I have to go to the system
>threads and have to disable all the USBPORT.SYS threads, 4 of them, as
>they kept my CPU to 100%, I heard about the microsoft fix and try to
>use it also which says that some services or somethings keep on
>running eventhough you unplugged all the devices from USB, like it
>assumes that device is still running and even if you try to reinstall
>xp then also it will freeze during the setup according to that.
>Nothing so far

I might be having a similar problem here.

I get three USB dings (device being taken in and out) only once have I
seen a tip balloon that says a device was unplug which corrected
itself. And the system freezes mostly when Opera is playing a video.

Bought a new mouse, it was time. It fixed the USB ding problem but the
system is still freezing - left alone by itself it will pull out of
it, and I can use it again and CPU never reads higher than 3% (turning
the power off is much quicker <G>).

The best way me to fix this problem is to run SFC /SCANNOW but that
POS won't work!!

Using Process Monitor and Regedit, I've been able to replace a missing
file I've found usbui.dll to be exact. (from the i386 dir)

Start | Run <type in>
services.msc
<enter>

"Human Interface Device Access" was my problem, it starts now.

I dual boot - the other OS works just fine.

--

Future of media
http://www.breakfastmedia.com/epic/