Velocity Reviews

-   -   Failed 70-291 2X (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t506407-failed-70-291-2x.html)

=?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?= 05-14-2007 03:05 PM

Failed 70-291 2X

I just retook 70-291 on friday and failed again (678). I honestly do not know
what the heck happened. I breezed through 70-270, 70-290, and 70-294. Does
anybody know if Microsoft allows exam reviews? It blows me away because my
job emcompasses that exam and I have setup the network from a to z. I know
WSUS without opening a book to learn it because I implemented it without
knowing a thing (except for using the Microsoft technical documents). I am
totally discouraged into retaking it a 3rd time. Any advise? Yes, I do use a
test lab and have my own network to look at for reference. Why so much WSUS
questions?

Montreal MCT 05-14-2007 03:41 PM

Re: Failed 70-291 2X

Hi Lina,

70-291 is reputed to be the hardest of the core exams for the Windows Server
2003 certifications. Much like the 70-216 exam on Windows 2000, which if
you could believe it was actually harder.

It is easy to get discouraged when failing an exam once, much less twice. I
failed 70-292 twice, and it took me a year after that to retake it. The key
is to acknowledge that if you think you know it and the results say
otherwise then you are probably looking at things from the wrong direction.
Remember, there may be several different ways to accomplish a goal, but only
the Microsoft way gets you points on the exam.

There are few exams that I have gone into with strictly experience because
the products tested are usually too vast and I haven't touched them all.
What has often worked for me is to get some good study material - my
favorite (especially for that exam) is the Self-Paced Training Kit from
Microsoft Press. It comes with the Readiness Review sample tests which have
always been helpful for me - I have never failed an exam for which I have
used that tool. Check it out on-line
(http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/5433.aspx) and see what you think...
and then go tackle that exam. From what I can see you are only one right
answer away from passing it!

Good luck and best regards,

=?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?= 05-14-2007 03:48 PM

Re: Failed 70-291 2X

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will most definitely retake. Maybe not rush it this
time. I will try the tool you suggested. One answer close to passing...bummer.

LT

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUgQW5kZXJzb24=?= 05-14-2007 04:41 PM

Re: Failed 70-291 2X

Lina, Montreal offers some solid advice here. I know senior architects who
have failed that exam a couple times as well. This time back off a little
bit, take a hard look at where your score reports are showing weakness, setup
a lab for each component and work with the technologies at issue.

Also, use Measureup or Transcenders if you dont want to buy the MS press
book just for the readiness review exams. It really does help to have a
resource that not only can give you an idea of how solid you are with the
material but will also reveal answers and explain why that is the correct
choice in the cases that you get an answer incorrect.

No matter which way you go with it, dont rush yourself into the next exam
but dont let this be a discouragement for you to get certified. 291 is
extremely difficult and if you approach it slowly and methodically, I am sure
the third time will be the charm.
--
Wayne Anderson

=?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?= 05-14-2007 04:56 PM

Re: Failed 70-291 2X

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your reply as well. I thought 297 was hard!!

catwalker63 05-14-2007 05:35 PM

Re: Failed 70-291 2X

Lina piffled away vaguely:

> I just retook 70-291 on friday and failed again (678). I honestly do not know
> what the heck happened. I breezed through 70-270, 70-290, and 70-294. Does
> anybody know if Microsoft allows exam reviews? It blows me away because my
> job emcompasses that exam and I have setup the network from a to z. I know
> WSUS without opening a book to learn it because I implemented it without
> knowing a thing (except for using the Microsoft technical documents). I am
> totally discouraged into retaking it a 3rd time. Any advise? Yes, I do use a
> test lab and have my own network to look at for reference. Why so much WSUS
> questions?

I believe MMCT has the key in his reply. There's the right way, the
wrong way, and the Microsoft way. Learn the right way for the
production environment and the MS way for the exams. I also think the
books will do you more good in this area than a bunch of extra practice
exams. The MS Press prep is a good tool. Also, READ the extra reading
recommended in Readiness and Review. Most of it is online at
microsoft.com so you shouldn't have any trouble getting it. You have a
lab so use it, break it, fix it, then break it again.

Remember, you CAN do this. You only fail when you give up.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUgQW5kZXJzb24=?= 05-14-2007 08:05 PM

Re: Failed 70-291 2X

IMO, 297 is just hard in a different way. There is a difference between
'hard' and 'difficult'. Difficult implies technical impedance, that would
apply here. 291 is difficult not so much because any given question is
deeply centered but more because the questions are such a technology grab bag
that it covers a HUGE swath of material. To take this test successfully you
need a solid understanding of how infrastructure services all function and
interact with active directory and the basics of where the relationship can
break down and where the services commonly run into problem. On its face,
this doesnt sound that difficult. When you take a more detailed look at the
NUMBER of subsystems to look at and the possible deployment scenarios for
each, the technology profile that you need to be proficient with expands
accordingly.

297 and 298 were hard, not difficult. They were not so much a matter of
technical depth and expertise but rather mining for the key piece of
information that the question is focused around that the exam question was
driven by and understanding its implication on infrastructure choices.
--
Wayne Anderson

=?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?= 05-15-2007 03:48 PM

Re: Failed 70-291 2X

Hi...thanks for all your replies. I will not give up. I setup and manage the
network here successfully and my only learning tools were the Microsoft Press
Resouce Kit and the Microsoft Technical resource guides and good ole VMware!

MCSE + Messaging eventually!

CBIC 05-15-2007 04:05 PM

Re: Failed 70-291 2X

> Hi...thanks for all your replies. I will not give up. I setup and manage
> the
> network here successfully and my only learning tools were the Microsoft
> Press
> Resouce Kit and the Microsoft Technical resource guides and good ole
> VMware!

Viva La VMware!

I liked VMware so much I started working for them.

catwalker63 05-15-2007 04:53 PM

Re: Failed 70-291 2X

CBIC piffled away vaguely:

> "Lina" <Lina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi...thanks for all your replies. I will not give up. I setup and manage
>> the
>> network here successfully and my only learning tools were the Microsoft
>> Press
>> Resouce Kit and the Microsoft Technical resource guides and good ole
>> VMware!
>>

> Viva La VMware!
>
> I liked VMware so much I started working for them.

SU! YS!