Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bug? import cp1252 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t506047-bug-import-cp1252.html)

Méta-MCI 05-12-2007 05:33 PM

Bug? import cp1252

Hi!

I've a problem with these 2 scripts:

file aaa.py (write in ANSI/cp1252):

# -*- coding: cp1252 -*-

compo={}

compo['pxrtf']= {
'fichier': "pxrtf.py",
'description': "Génération de fichiers RTF"
}

file bbb.py (write in ANSI/cp1252):

# -*- coding: cp1252 -*-

import aaa

With run bbb.py, I see:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\dev\python\bbb.py", line 3, in <module>
import aaa
File "D:\dev\python\aaa.py", line 3

^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

(run directly aaa.py give no problem)

(Python 2.5.1 + win_XP-SP2_french)

BUT, if I write the file aaa.py in UTF-8, with 1st line: # -*- coding:
utf-8 -*-
the problem is removed (file bbb.py stay in ANSI/cp1252)

Bug? or am I wrong?

@-salutations

Michel Claveau

John Machin 05-12-2007 11:12 PM

Re: Bug? import cp1252

On May 13, 3:33 am, "Méta-MCI" <enleverlesX.X...@XmclaveauX.com>
wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've a problem with these 2 scripts:
>
> file aaa.py (write in ANSI/cp1252):

What is "ANSI/cp1252"???

> # -*- coding: cp1252 -*-
>
> compo={}
>
> compo['pxrtf']= {
> 'fichier': "pxrtf.py",
> 'description': "Génération de fichiers RTF"
> }
>
> file bbb.py (write in ANSI/cp1252):
>
> # -*- coding: cp1252 -*-
>
> import aaa
>
> With run bbb.py, I see:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "D:\dev\python\bbb.py", line 3, in <module>
> import aaa
> File "D:\dev\python\aaa.py", line 3
>
> ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> (run directly aaa.py give no problem)
>
> (Python 2.5.1 + win_XP-SP2_french)
>
> BUT, if I write the file aaa.py in UTF-8, with 1st line: # -*- coding:
> utf-8 -*-
> the problem is removed (file bbb.py stay in ANSI/cp1252)
>
> Bug? or am I wrong?
>
> @-salutations

Michel, I can't reproduce this -- Python 2.5.1, Windows XP Pro SP2

Given that the syntax error seems to be pointing to a blank empty
line, I suspect that's there's some invisible character in the file.
This would be likely not to show up when we view your file through a
web browser or news client. I suggest that you show us *exactly* what
you've got:

print open('aaa.py', 'rb').read()

HTH,
John

Méta-MCI 05-14-2007 08:17 PM

Re: Bug? import cp1252

Hi!

>>> I suspect that's there's some invisible character in the file

No ; because I reproduce the problem, on another CPU, with typing from
scratch.

>>> I can't reproduce this -- Python 2.5.1, Windows XP Pro SP2

I'm sorry. Perhaps my "french" windows is a co-factor?
Perhaps my locale has Or my local influence?

I had try on four computer, with the same problem.

Fortunately, write in UTF-8 delete the problem...

--
Michel Claveau