Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sound card problem... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t505933-sound-card-problem.html)

Srikanth 05-12-2007 06:02 AM

Sound card problem...

Hi

I recently formatted my hard drive, and re-installed win98... I had
the original motherboard cd, and installed the drivers from there.
There is an onboard sound card (Realtek AC'97 ALC100) and I installed
its drivers. Now, the problem was that there was no output from the
jack... I did all the usual testing - speakers, jack etc... the card
worked fine before the formatting... I tried re-installing the
drivers, getting the latest drivers etc, but there was no use... the
detection was fine, but I just wasn't getting any audio, nor was there
any sound recording, though the multimedia option in Control Panel
showed everything as fine...

Finally, i pushed in a PCI sound card, a CMI 8738, and installed the
relevant drivers...In this, i was able to get sound out, but there is
absolutely no microphone input - in fact, if I set this device as my
preferred recording device, the recording icon gets grayed out.

So the scenario is this: AC'97 - everything looks great, but nothing
works... CMI 8738 - recording is grayed out (no recording possible),
but audio plays out fine...

Any clues or ideas?
Thanks
Srikanth Sridharan

Srikanth 05-12-2007 07:40 AM

Re: Sound card problem...

Hi

Recently discovered a new quirk that might help in narrowing down the
problem - I can play audio from my CD drive, by plugging in my
headphones to the jack. So i guess the sound card is fine... it is
just that the audio does not go out via the usual output jack

HTH narrow down the problem
Srikanth

Walter Mautner 05-12-2007 11:42 AM

Re: Sound card problem...

Srikanth wrote:

> Hi
>
> Recently discovered a new quirk that might help in narrowing down the
> problem - I can play audio from my CD drive, by plugging in my
> headphones to the jack. So i guess the sound card is fine... it is
> just that the audio does not go out via the usual output jack

Which jack - the one on the frontplate of your cd drive (which doesn't make
use of any soundcard) or the line out jack of the onboard soundcard, or the
added pci soundcard?

Srikanth 05-12-2007 03:49 PM

Re: Sound card problem...

Hi

It is the jack at the front of the cd drive...that doesn't make use of
the soundcard at all?

Any clues on what I should do?

Thanks
Srikanth

ProfGene 05-27-2007 03:41 PM

Re: Sound card problem...

Srikanth wrote:
> Hi
>
> I recently formatted my hard drive, and re-installed win98... I had
> the original motherboard cd, and installed the drivers from there.
> There is an onboard sound card (Realtek AC'97 ALC100) and I installed
> its drivers. Now, the problem was that there was no output from the
> jack... I did all the usual testing - speakers, jack etc... the card
> worked fine before the formatting... I tried re-installing the
> drivers, getting the latest drivers etc, but there was no use... the
> detection was fine, but I just wasn't getting any audio, nor was there
> any sound recording, though the multimedia option in Control Panel
> showed everything as fine...
>
> Finally, i pushed in a PCI sound card, a CMI 8738, and installed the
> relevant drivers...In this, i was able to get sound out, but there is
> absolutely no microphone input - in fact, if I set this device as my
> preferred recording device, the recording icon gets grayed out.
>
> So the scenario is this: AC'97 - everything looks great, but nothing
> works... CMI 8738 - recording is grayed out (no recording possible),
> but audio plays out fine...
>
> Any clues or ideas?
> Thanks
> Srikanth Sridharan

Did you check the Window's volume control to make sure the microphone
option is activated and also that the "mute" is not checked on the
microphone option?

Srikanth 05-28-2007 03:26 AM

Re: Sound card problem...

Hi
Yeah, i did those..finally i bought a new sound card, and this one
works just fine.
thanks anyway
Srikanth