Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win32 install error "for a machine type other than current machine (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t504994-win32-install-error-for-a-machine-type-other-than-current-machine.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBEeWVy?= 05-08-2007 04:13 PM

Win32 install error "for a machine type other than current machine

Installing NetPhone PBX client 2.4.1, a Win32 application in XP Pro X64 I get
this error on launching Setup.exe ...

"The image file <C:\blah blah blah\setup.exe is valid, but is for a machine
type other than the current machine."

Setting the app compatibility mode didn't help ...

This is not good news ... Our robust CTI PBX, though the company is long
defunct, is far from finuto ... Suggestions?

Charlie Russel - MVP 05-09-2007 06:48 AM

Re: Win32 install error "for a machine type other than current machine

This error means that the program is a 16 bit program. In your case,
probably the installer is 16 bit. You don't have a whole lot of options
except to install the application on a 32 bit system and then replicate the
installation steps into the 64 bit registry. There are a few programs out
there that can help with that. Or leave it running on a 32-bit version of
Windows.

This isn't that uncommon with older 32 bit programs. The early installation
programs were actually 16 bit, and a lot of them never got converted.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBEeWVy?= 05-10-2007 03:21 AM

Re: Win32 install error "for a machine type other than current mac

Thanks Charlie ... The program specs say it's a 32 bit program ... but I
suppose the authors might have kludged it with a 16 bit installer ... Could
you point me at a program that might help with replicating the installation
steps?

Charlie Russel - MVP 05-10-2007 03:33 PM

Re: Win32 install error "for a machine type other than current mac

Off the top of my head, I don't know of one. But there have been mention
here occasionally, so hopefully someone will jump in with it.

Another workaround I've used with some success is to run an older 32-bit
version of Windows in a VM on the 64-bit machine. Depending on what you need
from the 32-bit app, that can be quite a reasonable solution. Virtual PC or
Virtual Server will work fine if you don't need USB support. If you do, look
at VMWare.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John Barnes 05-10-2007 06:04 PM

Re: Win32 install error "for a machine type other than current mac

Some of the older programs have a separate install/uninstall program in the
installation folder. I have has success replacing the 16bit installer with
the 32bit installer. Usually Wise/Unwise