Velocity Reviews

-   -   What that site is running? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t504235-what-that-site-is-running.html)

ASP.NET explorer 05-04-2007 10:52 PM

What that site is running?

http://news.netcraft.com/ has a simple utility "What that site is running?"
that lets us know the server software of a website.

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...://www.sap.com

I am just wondering how this checker utility can coded in C-sharp?

Thanks,
lmn

auratius@gmail.com 05-04-2007 11:12 PM

Re: What that site is running?

This is easy

If we send a " GET " to a web server at port 80, it will return us
something similar to this:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Fri, 18.Feb 2000 09:42:29 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) <=== Cool hey
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Codigo HTML

http://www.auratius.co.za/sourcecode.asp

or

http://www.auratius.co.za/CodeBook.asp

Jon Skeet [C# MVP] 05-04-2007 11:28 PM

Re: What that site is running?

<auratius@gmail.com> wrote:
> If we send a " GET " to a web server at port 80, it will return us
> something similar to this:
>

> HTTP/1.0 200 OK
> Date: Fri, 18.Feb 2000 09:42:29 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) <=== Cool hey

There's more to in than that. I believe Netcraft analyses the low level
TCP/IP implementation to make an educated guess as to the operating
system - that's much harder to forge than an HTTP header, unless you
really want to start replacing your TCP/IP stack with a different one.

Of course, the header information may be good enough for the OP...

--
Jon Skeet - <skeet@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?= 05-05-2007 01:47 AM

Re: What that site is running?

Actually, a HEAD, rather than a GET Request would be sufficient, without
having the extra overhead of the entire request body.
Peter

--
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= 05-05-2007 03:45 PM

Re: What that site is running?

ASP.NET explorer wrote:
> http://news.netcraft.com/ has a simple utility "What that site is running?"
> that lets us know the server software of a website.
>
> http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...://www.sap.com
>
> I am just wondering how this checker utility can coded in C-sharp?

HttpWebRequest req = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create(url);
req.Method = "HEAD";
HttpWebResponse resp = (HttpWebResponse)req.GetResponse();
// now use resp.Headers["Server"]

Arne

ASP.NET explorer 05-06-2007 12:36 AM

Re: What that site is running?