Velocity Reviews

-   -   Word 2007 opening older documents (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t503882-word-2007-opening-older-documents.html)

Sandy Nuts 05-03-2007 03:30 PM

Word 2007 opening older documents

I've received a Word document that's been created in an older version of
Word (not sure on exact version). The document will not open or preview as I
get an error message saying ...

"You are attempting to open a file that was created in an earlier version of
Microsoft Office, This file type is blocked from opening in this version by
your registry policy setting"

I, being the administrator, have set no such policy. I have Googled and
tried the suggestions re: registry keys on Microsoft Support KB922849
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849) to no avail.

Is this a bug? Is there anyway round this??

Any help appreciated.

Mike Easter 05-03-2007 04:01 PM

Re: Word 2007 opening older documents

Sandy Nuts wrote:

> KB922849 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849)

"If you trust the document that you want to open, you can move the
document to a trusted location. This will override the policies."

--
Mike Easter

why? 05-03-2007 04:02 PM

On Thu, 03 May 2007 15:30:20 GMT, Sandy Nuts wrote:

>I've received a Word document that's been created in an older version of
>Word (not sure on exact version). The document will not open or preview as I
>get an error message saying ...
>
>"You are attempting to open a file that was created in an earlier version of
>Microsoft Office, This file type is blocked from opening in this version by
>your registry policy setting"

Hasn't this been mentioned before, both www.google.com (yes I saw the
next line) and 24HSHD
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics

>I, being the administrator, have set no such policy. I have Googled and

Being the administrator, so what. How many registry keys are set by
software, system policy etc?

>tried the suggestions re: registry keys on Microsoft Support KB922849
>(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849) to no avail.

The keys you are setting are being reset?

Odd they usually work.

>Is this a bug? Is there anyway round this??

Have you looked at compatability mode?

Converting the file format.

MSDN blogs / Word
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...d/default.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...y/default.aspx
RTM Compatibility Pack Released
Compatibility in Word 2007 Part IV

MS MVP sites.
For Word
http://word.mvps.org/index.html

OpenOffice.

MS Office newsgroups, via Google groups, the MS newsserver or browser.

>Any help appreciated.

Me