Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cisco & Netgear switch trunking (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t503781-cisco-and-netgear-switch-trunking.html)

Ned 05-03-2007 08:06 AM

Cisco & Netgear switch trunking

I have a Cisco 3750 with layer 3 switching for the VLANs working
fine.
I have added a Netgear smartswitch GS748T. I have created the VLANS
on
the Netgear switch; now I want to set up a trunk (DOT1Q) between the
switches. I have the Cisco trunk set up, but I never did a Netgear
trunk and am confused by the Web interface for trunking; firstly,
should the ports in each VLAN be tagged or untagged. Secondly when
setting up a trunk the netgear config screen has an "ID" column and
"port numbers" - do I select and ID for each VLAN and tick the port
that are in that VLAN?
Is there a command line interface for the netgear or does it have to
be accessed through the browser?
TIA, Ned

Brian V 05-03-2007 10:57 AM

Re: Cisco & Netgear switch trunking

"Ned" <nedtrilby@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1178179569.863764.312420@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
>I have a Cisco 3750 with layer 3 switching for the VLANs working
> fine.
> I have added a Netgear smartswitch GS748T. I have created the VLANS
> on
> the Netgear switch; now I want to set up a trunk (DOT1Q) between the
> switches. I have the Cisco trunk set up, but I never did a Netgear
> trunk and am confused by the Web interface for trunking; firstly,
> should the ports in each VLAN be tagged or untagged. Secondly when
> setting up a trunk the netgear config screen has an "ID" column and
> "port numbers" - do I select and ID for each VLAN and tick the port
> that are in that VLAN?
> Is there a command line interface for the netgear or does it have to
> be accessed through the browser?
> TIA, Ned

The "Trunk" in Netgear speak is not "Trunk" in Cisco speak. In Cisco "Trunk"
is an interface that carries multiple vlans. In Netgear it is the binding of
ports to create a larger pipe, which in Cisco we call a port channel.

Under the port configuration area on the Netgear there should be a way to
check off which VLAN's belong to a port. Once you check off multiple VLAN's
it automagically creates the "Trunk".

Doug McIntyre 05-03-2007 06:24 PM

Ned <nedtrilby@hotmail.com> writes:
>I have a Cisco 3750 with layer 3 switching for the VLANs working
>fine.
>I have added a Netgear smartswitch GS748T. I have created the VLANS
>on
>the Netgear switch; now I want to set up a trunk (DOT1Q) between the
>switches. I have the Cisco trunk set up, but I never did a Netgear
>trunk and am confused by the Web interface for trunking; firstly,
>should the ports in each VLAN be tagged or untagged. Secondly when
>setting up a trunk the netgear config screen has an "ID" column and
>"port numbers" - do I select and ID for each VLAN and tick the port
>that are in that VLAN?

Yep, the HP method of doing things. :) Amazing how much of their
technology leaks out to other vendors.

You want to tag each of your VLANs on the port that is your "trunk"
port upstream to your 3750. It'll start doing what you want then.

>Is there a command line interface for the netgear or does it have to
>be accessed through the browser?

There is a CLI from what I remember, but the web interface is easier
to use.