Velocity Reviews

-   -   Creating an alias? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t503635-creating-an-alias.html)

Bryan Jones 05-02-2007 04:51 PM

Creating an alias?

I'm asking for advice on creating an alias, by which I mean an invalid
email address. I have tried the 'managing identities' by adding an
alternative address,however, clicking on this alternative address and
clicking OK and then, writing a message to the group, still gives my
genuine address.
Needless to say I have looked for instructions in the help file, with no
results.
TIA

Ed Mullen 05-02-2007 04:52 PM

Re: Creating an alias?

Bryan Jones wrote:
> I'm asking for advice on creating an alias, by which I mean an invalid
> email address. I have tried the 'managing identities' by adding an
> alternative address,however, clicking on this alternative address and
> clicking OK and then, writing a message to the group, still gives my
> genuine address.
> Needless to say I have looked for instructions in the help file, with no
> results.
> TIA

It would sure help to know what program you're using.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Bryan Jones 05-02-2007 05:11 PM

Re: Creating an alias?

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Bryan Jones wrote:
>> I'm asking for advice on creating an alias, by which I mean an invalid
>> email address. I have tried the 'managing identities' by adding an
>> alternative address,however, clicking on this alternative address and
>> clicking OK and then, writing a message to the group, still gives my
>> genuine address.
>> Needless to say I have looked for instructions in the help file, with
>> no results.
>> TIA

> It would sure help to know what program you're using.

Good point, sorry about that, I've been so involved with TB that I
forgot that there are other Mozilla programmes.
However, it is Mozilla Thunderbird which I am using as my mailer.

Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo@gmail.com 05-02-2007 05:25 PM

Re: Creating an alias?

On May 2, 9:51 am, Bryan Jones <bryan.jon...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> I'm asking for advice on creating an alias, by which I mean an invalid
> email address. I have tried the 'managing identities' by adding an
> alternative address,however, clicking on this alternative address and
> clicking OK and then, writing a message to the group, still gives my
> genuine address.

When you write your message, did you click on the From and change it?
The from is the one that contains your real address. If you click on
it, you should get a drop down and you can select other addresses.
So, did you click on it?

bryan 05-02-2007 06:17 PM

Re: Creating an alias?

Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo@gmail.com wrote:
> On May 2, 9:51 am, Bryan Jones <bryan.jon...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> I'm asking for advice on creating an alias, by which I mean an invalid
>> email address. I have tried the 'managing identities' by adding an
>> alternative address,however, clicking on this alternative address and
>> clicking OK and then, writing a message to the group, still gives my
>> genuine address.

> When you write your message, did you click on the From and change it?
> The from is the one that contains your real address. If you click on
> it, you should get a drop down and you can select other addresses.
> So, did you click on it?

I am busy kicking myself because, like so many things, it's so simple,
when you know how.
Many thanks for your advice and, of course, my other addresses are there
and it does work.

Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo@gmail.com 05-02-2007 06:42 PM

Re: Creating an alias?

On May 2, 11:17 am, bryan <bryan.jon...@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote:
> Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hi...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On May 2, 9:51 am, Bryan Jones <bryan.jon...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >> I'm asking for advice on creating an alias, by which I mean an invalid
> >> email address. I have tried the 'managing identities' by adding an
> >> alternative address,however, clicking on this alternative address and
> >> clicking OK and then, writing a message to the group, still gives my
> >> genuine address.

> > When you write your message, did you click on the From and change it?
> > The from is the one that contains your real address. If you click on
> > it, you should get a drop down and you can select other addresses.
> > So, did you click on it?

> I am busy kicking myself because, like so many things, it's so simple,
> when you know how.
> Many thanks for your advice and, of course, my other addresses are there
> and it does work.

its usually the simple ones that are the hardest, right. ;-) The
ones right under your nose are the hardest.

As the old saying goes: you can't see the forest because the fricken
trees are in the way! :-)