Velocity Reviews

-   Microsoft Certification (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f24-microsoft-certification.html)
-   -   New MCTS/MCPD - cheat proof? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t503580-new-mcts-mcpd-cheat-proof.html)

Anthony Paul 05-02-2007 02:07 PM

New MCTS/MCPD - cheat proof?

Hello everyone,

I'm a seasoned veteran programmer (20+ years) and I'm currently
studying to take the MCTS/MCPD certifications (all 7). I plan on
taking these certifications because, unlike the "paper" MCSD
certifications, these are supposed to be very tough exams and as such
should serve as a reliable indicator of the overall technical mastery
achieved by the test-taker.

My question is : has Microsoft taken measures to assure MCTS/MCPD
certification holders that their value will not be dilluted by "paper"
MCTS/MCPD's? More specifically, are the questions the same for every
test allowing someone to come in with a hidden camera and ultimately
produce brain-dumps that any joe could memorize? I would hope that
they have made brain-dumps extremely hard to produce if not
impossible, else I don't see the point to my taking this new line of
certifications either.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Anthony

Thor 05-02-2007 08:49 PM

Re: New MCTS/MCPD - cheat proof?

> Hello everyone,

Greetings!

> I'm a seasoned veteran programmer (20+ years) and I'm currently
> studying to take the MCTS/MCPD certifications (all 7). I plan on
> taking these certifications because, unlike the "paper" MCSD
> certifications, these are supposed to be very tough exams and as such
> should serve as a reliable indicator of the overall technical mastery
> achieved by the test-taker.

The exams are, in my opinion hard, but does not measure skill as much as
memorizing api. I believe MS is still working on that.

> My question is : has Microsoft taken measures to assure MCTS/MCPD
> certification holders that their value will not be dilluted by "paper"
> MCTS/MCPD's? More specifically, are the questions the same for every
> test allowing someone to come in with a hidden camera and ultimately
> produce brain-dumps that any joe could memorize? I would hope that
> they have made brain-dumps extremely hard to produce if not
> impossible, else I don't see the point to my taking this new line of
> certifications either.
>
> Any thoughts?

It is possible to cheat, I think.
But the new tests uses unscored, always new, random assurance questions to
test if it is likely that you are cheating. (for many advanced questions you
answer correct, it is possible to create easier control questions, eg: for
WINAPI it could mean that a correctly answered MapViewOfFile Q would be
controlled by a questions about CreateFile/CloseHandle, if you fail the easy
question you get the hard one scored wrong, too).
Well, this is what I hope, anyway...

53

Anthony Paul 05-02-2007 09:27 PM

Re: New MCTS/MCPD - cheat proof?

Interesting!! Where did you hear that? Is there a link regarding the
random question generation and measures that MS is taking to counter
braindumps?? If they implement the system you've mentioned then I
don't think cheating would be possible at all... unless someone gets
access to the exam software of course, but I would think those would
be under some serious heavy-duty lock and key.

Regards,

Anthony

Chris Mullins [MVP] 05-03-2007 05:38 PM

Re: New MCTS/MCPD - cheat proof?

They started doing this some time ago. It's called "adaptive testing".

There's a white-paper from them on it at:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/downloads/adapt.doc

.... I don't know to what degree the current generation of certs do this. It
would be interesting to find out.

--
Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, Microsoft C# MVP
http://www.coversant.com/blogs/cmullins

news:1178141273.751735.60730@y5g2000hsa.googlegrou ps.com...

Thor 05-04-2007 04:39 PM

Re: New MCTS/MCPD - cheat proof?

Thanks.
I never heard this, I just think it is the best solution, so if they don't
do this maybe they will some time later.
"Well, this is what I hope, anyway..."...
There are some pretty smart people working on this, so if I can think of
this solution they can too. If a solution to the problrm aligns with the
business side and they have enough resources, the future is bright.
53

brett 05-11-2007 06:08 PM

Re: New MCTS/MCPD - cheat proof?

I've blog some about this here: