Velocity Reviews

-   -   WMP11 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t503026-wmp11.html)

John Barnes 04-24-2007 08:51 PM

WMP11

Anyone else with this annoyance. Every time I try to use the slider to
change positions in any media I am playing, it takes about 2 seconds before
the change takes place. I was hoping is was related to the CPU speed, but
it happens now with the 5200+ the same. It is really annoying when trying
to find a certain spot of any recorded show. WMP10 never did that. The
change was instant. Media Player Classic is also instant. Anyone know of a
solution except eliminating the use of WMP?

Another media annoyance with Vista is that I was unable to play any CSS
videos. All media players refused to play them even though they were
perfectly legal. I haven't tried any owned DVD's so it could only be the
new rentals my wife brought home. I finally resorted to installing AnyDVD
to process them and then they play on all the players. I was trying to
play, not copy. Would prefer to find a solution without having to buy AnyDVD
or play in another location.

Dennis Pack 04-24-2007 11:01 PM

Re: WMP11

John:
I'm seeing only about 1 second switch time with a DVD or AVI file
playing. It's about the same on a 4400x2 (939), 5200x2 (AM2) and a TL50
Turion HP notebook, all have 2GB ram and Nvidia video. Since I'm running
Vista Enterprise x64 i had to install Nvidia PureVideo decoder and Ffdshow
to play DVDs or AVI files. I can't answer about the CCS issue since I have
AnyDVD installed.
I just got TV working with Vista x64. I have the Leadtek TV2000xp
Expert capture card with Vista supplied drivers. Leadtek doesn't list a
WinFast PVR yet for Vista. Version 3.1.1.6 is the latest, which installs has
video but no audio. Up to that point isn't new with x64, then I went to
Titan TV tried to select a program from the guide which didn't work, also
common with x64. Now came a surprise to me, I opened WinFast PVR and the
audio is now present. I don't know why or how but it worked in 2 different
computers with the same capture card and Vista Enterprise x64. When I get
time I'll record some TV to see if the delay time increases. Have a great
day.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= 04-25-2007 01:22 AM

RE: WMP11

John:
DVD playback also has a "zone" limitation, even being legal.
World was divided in many zones when they were conceived for movie playback.
USA, of course, is "zone 1" and the count goes up to 6.
South America is "zone 4".
That was meant to avoid dumpind cheap DVD's from one region of the world
into another.
Maybe the legal videos you are trying to watch belog to other zone and that
would account for AnyDVD solving it.
Carlos

John Barnes 04-25-2007 02:09 AM

Re: WMP11

Thanks Carlos. Been so long I forgot you had to go into properties and
select a region code.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= 04-25-2007 02:34 AM

Re: WMP11

John:
AFAIK the region thing is in 3 places.
DVD drive (firmware)
OS
DVD player.
No more than 5 changes are allowed.
Carños

John Barnes 04-25-2007 12:33 PM

Re: WMP11

Well, since I often try to find segments of long recordings, the 2 second
delay is just too annoying and unnecessary, so I have dumped WMP11 in favor
of using MPC for all audio/video types it supports.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= 04-25-2007 09:34 PM

Re: WMP11

John:
FWIW.
Regarding the first question of your post I have instant reaction (no 2 sec
delay) on WMP11 in Vista x64 (Athlon 4200+x2, NVidia 7600GT, 2 gigs RAM,
RAID0).
I did the test with two different videos (one coded with XVid and the other
one in H264).
However, and I concur with you, MPC is alwas my first choice for playback.
Carlos

John Barnes 04-25-2007 09:53 PM

Re: WMP11

I haven't tried it with a video. I used it (until this morning) and had it
as the default for MP3, which I often will click thru to either find
something I want the wife to hear, or to bypass advertisements and half
hourly news. I also have Vista64, 5200+ x2 and nVidia 7600GT and 2 gigs of
ram. If I remember it also did it with a movie DVD.
MPC is instant with anything I use it for. Movies, MP4, MP3 RealMedia etc.
Does this whether there is anything else running or not. Incidentally,
since the stupid WMP11 won't shut off or close when the close button is
clicked, I always had to remember to stop everything and if I forgot or was
fed up with it, I would have to go into task manager and kill it. No way to
get it to give up the 32k memory and cpu time unless killed in task manager.