Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cgi File Upload without Form (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t502888-cgi-file-upload-without-form.html)

Karsten.G.Weinert@googlemail.com 04-27-2007 09:10 PM

Cgi File Upload without Form

Hello,

what is the simplest way to upload a file (or a long string) to a
server using cgi/python?

Since I want to upload the data programmatically, a form based
solution is not good. I am not experienced with SOAP/WSDL and I
believe that would be more difficult than necessary. The client
program I have to use does not support FTP.

Any hint appreciated, kind regards,
Karsten.

Gabriel Genellina 04-28-2007 05:59 AM

Re: Cgi File Upload without Form

En Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:10:42 -0300, <Karsten.G.Weinert@googlemail.com>
escribió:

> what is the simplest way to upload a file (or a long string) to a
> server using cgi/python?
>
> Since I want to upload the data programmatically, a form based
> solution is not good. I am not experienced with SOAP/WSDL and I
> believe that would be more difficult than necessary. The client
> program I have to use does not support FTP.

I don't understand your question. Do you control the server, the client,
or both? Which one is in Python?

--
Gabriel Genellina

Max M 04-28-2007 09:01 AM

Karsten.G.Weinert@googlemail.com skrev:
> Hello,
>
> what is the simplest way to upload a file (or a long string) to a
> server using cgi/python?
>
> Since I want to upload the data programmatically, a form based
> solution is not good. I am not experienced with SOAP/WSDL and I
> believe that would be more difficult than necessary. The client
> program I have to use does not support FTP.

Try out urllib2

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science

Steve Holden 04-28-2007 06:27 PM

Karsten.G.Weinert@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what is the simplest way to upload a file (or a long string) to a
> server using cgi/python?
>
> Since I want to upload the data programmatically, a form based
> solution is not good. I am not experienced with SOAP/WSDL and I
> believe that would be more difficult than necessary. The client
> program I have to use does not support FTP.

A "form-based" solution is actually just what you want - you write a
Python program that does just what the user's browser would do after
they filled in a form.

You can do this with urllib fairly easily. If you get stuck then look
for a library called mechanise.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
------------------ Asciimercial ---------------------

Steve Holden 04-28-2007 06:27 PM

Karsten.G.Weinert@googlemail.com 04-30-2007 01:39 PM

Re: Cgi File Upload without Form

Thanks for your replies, however I think urlllib can not help me here.
I have control over the server side (I can write a cgi-script in
python), but I have very little control on the client side (I have to
use VBA).

Kind regards,
Karsten.

Dave Borne 04-30-2007 01:51 PM

Re: Cgi File Upload without Form

> Since I want to upload the data programmatically, a form based
> solution is not good.

Karsten,
Could you explain this statement? When I want to move data to a
server in a CGI environment, a form post is the easiest way I can
think of. What are the specific restrictions making forms a problem?

-Dave

Karsten.G.Weinert@googlemail.com 04-30-2007 02:31 PM

On 30 Apr., 15:51, "Dave Borne" <dbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Since I want to upload the data programmatically, a form based
> > solution is not good.

> Karsten,
> Could you explain this statement? When I want to move data to a
> server in a CGI environment, a form post is the easiest way I can
> think of. What are the specific restrictions making forms a problem?
>
> -Dave

Hello Dave,
what I was thinking was: a form post is meant to be used manually. But
maybe I am wrong here and I can teach my VBA program to fill in forms
automatically. If I were using python as client, I could fill in forms
with urllib. However, I using python only server-side.

Kind regards,
Karsten.

Karsten.G.Weinert@googlemail.com 04-30-2007 05:08 PM

Re: Cgi File Upload without Form

OK, I think I have a simple solution now. I am going to use FTP in my
VBA-Client (it's possible) and don't need to do any server-side
programming.

Kind regards,
Karsten.

Jarek Zgoda 04-30-2007 05:28 PM

Re: Cgi File Upload without Form

Karsten.G.Weinert@googlemail.com napisa³(a):

>> Could you explain this statement? When I want to move data to a
>> server in a CGI environment, a form post is the easiest way I can
>> think of. What are the specific restrictions making forms a problem?

> what I was thinking was: a form post is meant to be used manually. But
> maybe I am wrong here and I can teach my VBA program to fill in forms
> automatically. If I were using python as client, I could fill in forms
> with urllib. However, I using python only server-side.

"Form" usually means an action accessible for HTTP POST request with
content-type multipart/form-data. Uploading files is usually done in
this way, if you don't want/cann't use more sophisticated means like
WebDAV (which is HTTP extension, btw).

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/