Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wanted: Email Client with GUI (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t502536-wanted-email-client-with-gui.html)

Franz Steinhaeusler 04-18-2007 01:07 PM

Wanted: Email Client with GUI

Hi, although I have googled, I didn't find a Python
email client program fitting to my needs.

What I want is a program (it doesn't have to be so sophisticated
as thunderbird) written totally in python and using a gui
toolkit like pyqt, pygtk, wxpyhton or tkinter.

Who knows such a program? ;)

best regards,

kyosohma@gmail.com 04-18-2007 02:09 PM

Re: Wanted: Email Client with GUI

On Apr 18, 8:07 am, Franz Steinhaeusler <franz.steinhaeus...@gmx.at>
wrote:
> Hi, although I have googled, I didn't find a Python
> email client program fitting to my needs.
>
> What I want is a program (it doesn't have to be so sophisticated
> as thunderbird) written totally in python and using a gui
> toolkit like pyqt, pygtk, wxpyhton or tkinter.
>
> Who knows such a program? ;)
>
> best regards,

I'm not finding much either. There is this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/usablemail/

This also looked promising: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Email

It looks like their might be some kind of tkinter email client in the
Programming Python book by Lutz. ( See
http://proquest.safaribooksonline.co...-CHP-11-SECT-4
)

Hope that helps.

Mike

Franz Steinhaeusler 04-18-2007 02:25 PM

On 18 Apr 2007 07:09:29 -0700, kyosohma@gmail.com wrote:

>On Apr 18, 8:07 am, Franz Steinhaeusler <franz.steinhaeus...@gmx.at>
>wrote:
>> Hi, although I have googled, I didn't find a Python
>> email client program fitting to my needs.
>>
>> What I want is a program (it doesn't have to be so sophisticated
>> as thunderbird) written totally in python and using a gui
>> toolkit like pyqt, pygtk, wxpyhton or tkinter.
>>
>> Who knows such a program? ;)
>>
>> best regards,

>I'm not finding much either. There is this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/usablemail/
>
>This also looked promising: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Email
>
>It looks like their might be some kind of tkinter email client in the
>Programming Python book by Lutz. ( See
>http://proquest.safaribooksonline.co...-CHP-11-SECT-4
>)
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>Mike

Thanks, that I also found already.

I know XPN, which has also some email functionality.

I only wonder, why there doesn't exist a nice one.

Oh, I here, why do you not write such a thing yourself?

It fails on lack of time. ;)

BartlebyScrivener 04-18-2007 03:08 PM

Re: Wanted: Email Client with GUI

On Apr 18, 9:25 am, Franz Steinhaeusler <franz.steinhaeus...@gmx.at>
wrote:

> >> What I want is a program (it doesn't have to be so sophisticated
> >> as thunderbird) written totally in python and using a gui
> >> toolkit like pyqt, pygtk, wxpyhton or tkinter.

Why reinvent the wheel? Why not use Mutt and then call any Python
script you want from within Mutt. Or use Python modules written for
Mutt.

See, e.g., http://pyropus.ca/software/

rd

Joshua J. Kugler 04-18-2007 07:01 PM

On Wednesday 18 April 2007 05:07, Franz Steinhaeusler wrote:

> Hi, although I have googled, I didn't find a Python
> email client program fitting to my needs.
>
> What I want is a program (it doesn't have to be so sophisticated
> as thunderbird) written totally in python and using a gui
> toolkit like pyqt, pygtk, wxpyhton or tkinter.
>
> Who knows such a program? ;)

Why not give Chandlar a try? It's mostly python, with some parts written in
C (for speed, I assume).

http://chandler.osafoundation.org/

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/ *ID 0xDB26D7CE

franz.steinhaeusler@gmail.com 04-19-2007 07:47 AM

Re: Wanted: Email Client with GUI

Hello, thanks,

Chandler looks good, maybe I will give it a try.

Thanks,