Velocity Reviews

-   -   just starting (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t501904-just-starting.html)

MC felon 04-27-2007 04:23 AM

just starting

Hi.
I've just about learnt object oriented programming, operation of
pointers, dereferencing of the same, functions and all other basic
manipulations. Now, recently, i made the big leap to the GNU compiler.
I have code::blocks as well as Dev c++ 5 beta. As a beginner, which
IDE is better off?
Also, could you kindly help me know my path ahead? i want to know what
i should start learning now (OpenGL or win32 or directx Or MAYBE EVEN
THE BASICS, if you think i'm not adequately equipped). My ultimate aim
is to be a game programmer. Kindly answer to my above two queries as
they are of utmost importance to me.

Thank you in advance!

Mark 04-27-2007 04:34 AM

Re: just starting

On Apr 26, 9:23 pm, MC felon <paec....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
> I've just about learnt object oriented programming, operation of
> pointers, dereferencing of the same, functions and all other basic
> manipulations. Now, recently, i made the big leap to the GNU compiler.
> I have code::blocks as well as Dev c++ 5 beta. As a beginner, which
> IDE is better off?
> Also, could you kindly help me know my path ahead? i want to know what
> i should start learning now (OpenGL or win32 or directx Or MAYBE EVEN
> THE BASICS, if you think i'm not adequately equipped). My ultimate aim
> is to be a game programmer. Kindly answer to my above two queries as
> they are of utmost importance to me.
>
> Thank you in advance!

Hi.
I've been making 2D games for awhile now. I use bloodshed.net's Dev-C+
+ with SDL (http://libsdl.org/).
I'm not sure what's "best" but SDL is pretty easy to learn, and it
works pretty well. There's lots of other libraries that work nicely
with it too, for sound and writing ttf fonts, and loading various
image formats (SDL_image). You can download SDL and a bunch of other
libraries in Dev-C++ by clicking Tools > Check for Updates/Packages.
However, I'm considering making a switch to netbeans IDE because I
find that Dev-C++ sucks at formatting code, and has issues with my
dual monitor set up. netbeans has some other nice features too... not
sure how well it will work though.

=?iso-8859-1?q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?= 04-27-2007 06:15 AM

Re: just starting

On 27 Apr, 06:23, MC felon <paec....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
> I've just about learnt object oriented programming, operation of
> pointers, dereferencing of the same, functions and all other basic
> manipulations. Now, recently, i made the big leap to the GNU compiler.
> I have code::blocks as well as Dev c++ 5 beta. As a beginner, which
> IDE is better off?

Depends on which platform, if you are using Windows I would personally
recommend Visual C++ 2005 Express (download for free from MS) but
others will have different preferences, it's also partly about which
compiler you want to use, if you go the VS you'll get the MS one, if
you want to use gcc there are some other alternatives.

> Also, could you kindly help me know my path ahead? i want to know what
> i should start learning now (OpenGL or win32 or directx Or MAYBE EVEN
> THE BASICS, if you think i'm not adequately equipped). My ultimate aim
> is to be a game programmer. Kindly answer to my above two queries as
> they are of utmost importance to me.

The basics, if you've just learned OO then you still have a lot to
learn. For the basics this groups is a great place to ask questions,
see also alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++. For other, platform specific or
library specific questions you should find a group dedicated to that
topic.

--
Erik Wikström

Zeppe 04-27-2007 08:35 AM

Re: just starting

Mark wrote:

> Hi.
> I've been making 2D games for awhile now. I use bloodshed.net's Dev-C+
> + with SDL (http://libsdl.org/).

Dev C++ is dead. Code::blocks is the new DevC++, is very mantained, has
got newer compiler, more options, it's portable, and it's definitely the
best choice. The difference with dev are not that much in the compiler
behaviour, if you use gcc as compiler.

Visual C++ Express Edition is the better choice under windows, but you
can have some problem with GPL libraries usually made primarly for gcc
that can be tricky to install.

for code::blocks:
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php...h_Code::Blocks

Anyway, to the OP, I don't know how skilled are you with the basics, but
if you already know something just try out to start with some basics on
computer programming if you like it. It's always important to apply the
things we learn to real and funny stuff, we learn them better ;)

Just don't hesitate to come back to the basics if you realize that you
are not skilled enough on something.

Regards,

Zeppe

MC felon 04-28-2007 04:33 AM

Re: just starting

> The basics, if you've just learned OO then you still have a lot to
> learn. For the basics this groups is a great place to ask questions,
> see also alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++. For other, platform specific or
> library specific questions you should find a group dedicated to that
> topic.
>
> --
> Erik Wikström

Hey Erik.
I know i have a long-----------------------------------------way to go
to reach even a small standard. But my problem is, i have absolutely
no exposure where i am from, and i need to know what i should do next.
When you started learning c++, after learning OO, what did you launch
yourself onto next? I need to know what i need to start on next (and
boy! am i eager to learn it).

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?= 04-28-2007 09:07 AM

Re: just starting

On 2007-04-28 06:33, MC felon wrote:
>> The basics, if you've just learned OO then you still have a lot to
>> learn. For the basics this groups is a great place to ask questions,
>> see also alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++. For other, platform specific or
>> library specific questions you should find a group dedicated to that
>> topic.
>>
>> --
>> Erik Wikström

> Hey Erik.
> I know i have a long-----------------------------------------way to go
> to reach even a small standard. But my problem is, i have absolutely
> no exposure where i am from, and i need to know what i should do next.
> When you started learning c++, after learning OO, what did you launch
> yourself onto next? I need to know what i need to start on next (and
> boy! am i eager to learn it).

Did you use a book when learning C++, and if so have you done the
exercises in the book? It might not be much fun but they are designed so
that you should learn the different concepts in C++.

Personally the first real programs I wrote in C++ were part of a course
I was taking at university, they were a set of programs to calculate
code metrics and to perform various statistical calculation based on
those metrics.

What's important is that you write actual code, preferable for a non-
trivial project which will let you exercise your designing skills too.
The problem with writing a game is that you easily get side-tracked from
the programming aspects, there are so much more that must be done
(graphics, sound, gameplay, etc.). So start out with some other kinds of
projects until you feel you've got a good grip on the language, then
start with small games and move upwards.

--
Erik Wikström

Mark 05-01-2007 08:26 PM

Re: just starting

On Apr 27, 1:35 am, Zeppe
<zeppe.remove.all.this.long.comm...@email.it> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
> > Hi.
> > I've been making 2D games for awhile now. I use bloodshed.net's Dev-C+
> > + with SDL (http://libsdl.org/).

> Dev C++ is dead. Code::blocks is the new DevC++, is very mantained, has
> got newer compiler, more options, it's portable, and it's definitely the
> best choice. The difference with dev are not that much in the compiler
> behaviour, if you use gcc as compiler.
>
> Visual C++ Express Edition is the better choice under windows, but you
> can have some problem with GPL libraries usually made primarly for gcc
> that can be tricky to install.
>
> for code::blocks:http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php...h_Code::Blocks
>
> Anyway, to the OP, I don't know how skilled are you with the basics, but
> if you already know something just try out to start with some basics on
> computer programming if you like it. It's always important to apply the
> things we learn to real and funny stuff, we learn them better ;)
>
> Just don't hesitate to come back to the basics if you realize that you
> are not skilled enough on something.
>
> Regards,
>
> Zeppe

Does Code::Blocks support SVN?
I just got SDL and C++ (cygwin) working with NetBeans. Does
Code::Blocks have any advantages over NetBeans?