Velocity Reviews

-   -   "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to the network[SSID]" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t501646-windows-was-unable-to-find-a-certificate-to-log-you-on-to-the-network-ssid.html)

Lorenzo Sandini 04-30-2007 11:25 AM

"Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to the network[SSID]"

Hi there,

I googled a bit around this phrase, but didn't find a good answer.

I am using WPA-PSK with EAS encryption (WPA2) to connect my wireless
clients to a 802.11n draft router (D-link DIR-655). The connection works
as advertised, but I keep getting this message bubble, just a second
before the connection is made.

I read that it's related to Windows Wireless Zero configuration (WZC),
with no preferred networks specified, but in my case I specified the
network SSID. Someone suggested on a forum to quit using WZC and use the
manufacturer's provided configuration utility.

What to do you suggest ? Will it remove the annoying message bubble ?
Any advantage of the manufacturer's utility over WZC ?

Lorenzo

Lem 04-30-2007 04:10 PM

Re: "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to thenetwork [SSID]"

Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I googled a bit around this phrase, but didn't find a good answer.
>
> I am using WPA-PSK with EAS encryption (WPA2) to connect my wireless
> clients to a 802.11n draft router (D-link DIR-655). The connection works
> as advertised, but I keep getting this message bubble, just a second
> before the connection is made.
>
> I read that it's related to Windows Wireless Zero configuration (WZC),
> with no preferred networks specified, but in my case I specified the
> network SSID. Someone suggested on a forum to quit using WZC and use the
> manufacturer's provided configuration utility.
>
> What to do you suggest ? Will it remove the annoying message bubble ?
> Any advantage of the manufacturer's utility over WZC ?
>
> Lorenzo

Assuming that you don't have a separate authentication server (RADIUS),
uncheck the box to use 802.1x authentication on the "Authentication" tab
of the Properties dialog for your wireless network.

Click "Properties" button here:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml
and go to "Authentication" tab here:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...tication.shtml

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Lorenzo Sandini 05-02-2007 06:38 AM

Re: "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to thenetwork [SSID]"

Hi Lem,

Trouble is, the option is greyed out if I select WPA-PSK (TKIP or EAS).
It can be selected only if select "WPA - professional"...

LS

Lem 05-02-2007 04:27 PM

Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
> Hi Lem,
>
> Trouble is, the option is greyed out if I select WPA-PSK (TKIP or EAS).
> It can be selected only if select "WPA - professional"...
>
> LS
>
> Lem wrote:
>> Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I googled a bit around this phrase, but didn't find a good answer.
>>>
>>> I am using WPA-PSK with EAS encryption (WPA2) to connect my wireless
>>> clients to a 802.11n draft router (D-link DIR-655). The connection
>>> works as advertised, but I keep getting this message bubble, just a
>>> second before the connection is made.
>>>
>>> I read that it's related to Windows Wireless Zero configuration
>>> (WZC), with no preferred networks specified, but in my case I
>>> specified the network SSID. Someone suggested on a forum to quit
>>> using WZC and use the manufacturer's provided configuration utility.
>>>
>>> What to do you suggest ? Will it remove the annoying message bubble ?
>>> Any advantage of the manufacturer's utility over WZC ?
>>>
>>> Lorenzo

>> Assuming that you don't have a separate authentication server
>> (RADIUS), uncheck the box to use 802.1x authentication on the
>> "Authentication" tab of the Properties dialog for your wireless network.
>>
>> Click "Properties" button here:
>> http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml
>>
>> and go to "Authentication" tab here:
>> http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...tication.shtml

Lorenzo,

You write that you are using "WPA-PSK with EAS encryption (WPA2)."
Although WPA-PSK with AES encryption uses the encryption algorithm
specified for WPA2, it does not have all of the security features of
WPA2. There is no reason I know of why WPA-PSK (AES) should be looking
for a certificate (certificates should only be required when using
WPA-Enterprise), however, if you do not have an option in Wireless Zero
Configuration for WPA2, you should download and install
Wireless Client Update for Windows XP with Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917021

Alternatively, use the configuration utility for your wireless adapter.
Be sure to disable WZC if you do this. There may be an option in the
mfr's utility that will do this for you, or you will have to do it
manually, such as described at http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

In addition, both ends of your wireless connection -- router and adapter
-- need to have the same security configuration. In addition to making
sure that your adapter is set to use WPA-PSK (AES) (or WPA2-PSK), you
also need to make sure that your DIR-655 is not configured to use
WPA2-Enterprise. Double check this in the configuration utility of your
DIR-655.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Lorenzo Sandini 05-03-2007 09:05 PM

Re: "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to thenetwork [SSID]"

I removed the latest driver for the DWA-645 card, and re-installed from
the CD, along with the D-link wireless utility.

I disabled the windows wireless zero configuration, and configured the
encryption to WPA2-PSK (AES), with now a perfectly working setup and no
more warning bubbles. And 300Mbps is availbale even with WPA-PSK (TKIP)
now, while it sed to fall back to 54 Mbps with the "latest driver" from
D-link Finland.

Thanks to all for your input.

Lorenzo

Lem 05-04-2007 02:21 PM

Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
> I removed the latest driver for the DWA-645 card, and re-installed from
> the CD, along with the D-link wireless utility.
>
> I disabled the windows wireless zero configuration, and configured the
> encryption to WPA2-PSK (AES), with now a perfectly working setup and no
> more warning bubbles. And 300Mbps is availbale even with WPA-PSK (TKIP)
> now, while it sed to fall back to 54 Mbps with the "latest driver" from
> D-link Finland.
>
> Thanks to all for your input.
>
> Lorenzo
>

> Lem wrote:
>> Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
>>> Hi Lem,
>>>
>>> Trouble is, the option is greyed out if I select WPA-PSK (TKIP or
>>> EAS). It can be selected only if select "WPA - professional"...
>>>
>>> LS

>> Lorenzo,
>>
>> You write that you are using "WPA-PSK with EAS encryption (WPA2)."
>> Although WPA-PSK with AES encryption uses the encryption algorithm
>> specified for WPA2, it does not have all of the security features of
>> WPA2. There is no reason I know of why WPA-PSK (AES) should be
>> looking for a certificate (certificates should only be required when
>> using WPA-Enterprise), however, if you do not have an option in
>> Wireless Zero Configuration for WPA2, you should download and install
>> Wireless Client Update for Windows XP with Service Pack 2
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917021
>>
>> Alternatively, use the configuration utility for your wireless
>> adapter. Be sure to disable WZC if you do this. There may be an
>> option in the mfr's utility that will do this for you, or you will
>> have to do it manually, such as described at
>> http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
>>
>> In addition, both ends of your wireless connection -- router and
>> adapter -- need to have the same security configuration. In addition
>> to making sure that your adapter is set to use WPA-PSK (AES) (or
>> WPA2-PSK), you also need to make sure that your DIR-655 is not
>> configured to use WPA2-Enterprise. Double check this in the
>> configuration utility of your DIR-655.

Glad you got things working. Thanks for the feedback.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

cyberbrat 08-04-2008 01:37 AM

USe manufac preferred network utility not WZC that'll fix it

I had this same problem after installing the software for a new router. I uninstalled the software that came with it and then reinstalled it (im NOW using their software to control my wireless connection not windows) and now all is well, the certificate bubble is gone! THANK GOODNESS! Arrgh that was annoying so.....try that. Hope it helps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorenzo Sandini

Jessei Medina 02-23-2010 02:32 PM

"Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to the network[SSID]"

This Work for me just fine thanks :)

Lem wrote:

Re: "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to the network [SSID]"
30-Apr-07

Lorenzo Sandini wrote:

Assuming that you don't have a separate authentication server (RADIUS),
uncheck the box to use 802.1x authentication on the "Authentication" tab
of the Properties dialog for your wireless network.

Click "Properties" button here:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml
and go to "Authentication" tab here:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...tication.shtml

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

On Monday, April 30, 2007 7:25 AM
Lorenzo Sandini wrote:

"Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you,on to the network [SSID]"
Hi there,

I googled a bit around this phrase, but didn't find a good answer.

I am using WPA-PSK with EAS encryption (WPA2) to connect my wireless
clients to a 802.11n draft router (D-link DIR-655). The connection works
as advertised, but I keep getting this message bubble, just a second
before the connection is made.

I read that it's related to Windows Wireless Zero configuration (WZC),
with no preferred networks specified, but in my case I specified the
network SSID. Someone suggested on a forum to quit using WZC and use the
manufacturer's provided configuration utility.

What to do you suggest ? Will it remove the annoying message bubble ?
Any advantage of the manufacturer's utility over WZC ?

Lorenzo

Lorenzo Sandini wrote:

Assuming that you don't have a separate authentication server (RADIUS),
uncheck the box to use 802.1x authentication on the "Authentication" tab
of the Properties dialog for your wireless network.

Click "Properties" button here:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml
and go to "Authentication" tab here:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...tication.shtml

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

On Wednesday, May 02, 2007 2:38 AM
Lorenzo Sandini wrote:

Hi Lem,Trouble is, the option is greyed out if I select WPA-PSK (TKIP or EAS).
Hi Lem,

Trouble is, the option is greyed out if I select WPA-PSK (TKIP or EAS).
It can be selected only if select "WPA - professional"...

LS

Lem wrote:

Lorenzo Sandini wrote:

[...]

On Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:05 PM
Lorenzo Sandini wrote:

I removed the latest driver for the DWA-645 card, and re-installed from the
I removed the latest driver for the DWA-645 card, and re-installed from
the CD, along with the D-link wireless utility.

I disabled the windows wireless zero configuration, and configured the
encryption to WPA2-PSK (AES), with now a perfectly working setup and no
more warning bubbles. And 300Mbps is availbale even with WPA-PSK (TKIP)
now, while it sed to fall back to 54 Mbps with the "latest driver" from
D-link Finland.

Thanks to all for your input.

Lorenzo

Lem wrote:

Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
Glad you got things working. Thanks for the feedback.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Creating a WPF Custom Control
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ustom-con.aspx