Velocity Reviews

-   -   Leica (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t501055-leica.html)

Danepipesmoker 04-11-2007 09:43 PM

Leica

Does anybody know the real difference as far as advantages and
disadvantages go between the Leica D-Lux 3 and the V-Lux 1? Has
anybody shot either cameras?

Thanks so much,

Danepipesmoker

Daniel Silevitch 04-11-2007 11:01 PM

Re: Leica

On 11 Apr 2007 14:43:03 -0700, Danepipesmoker <iannweeks@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anybody know the real difference as far as advantages and
> disadvantages go between the Leica D-Lux 3 and the V-Lux 1? Has
> anybody shot either cameras?

Those are just reskinned Panasonic cameras, based on the LX-2 and FZ-50
respectively. It'll be easier to find reviews of those two models.

They're also noticeably cheaper than the Leicas, so unless you _really_
want that Leica name, go with the Panasonics. The guts, including the
lenses, are the same.

-dms

Rich 04-12-2007 12:31 AM

Re: Leica

On Apr 11, 5:43 pm, "Danepipesmoker" <iannwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anybody know the real difference as far as advantages and
> disadvantages go between the Leica D-Lux 3 and the V-Lux 1? Has
> anybody shot either cameras?
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Danepipesmoker

Hmmm. They are both overpriced Panasonic ripoffs that this camera
will blow away?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/

rkmr15203@yahoo.com 04-12-2007 01:20 AM

Re: Leica

On Apr 11, 7:01 pm, Daniel Silevitch <dmsi...@uchicago.edu> wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2007 14:43:03 -0700, Danepipesmoker <iannwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know the real difference as far as advantages and
> > disadvantages go between the Leica D-Lux 3 and the V-Lux 1? Has
> > anybody shot either cameras?

> Those are just reskinned Panasonic cameras, based on the LX-2 and FZ-50
> respectively. It'll be easier to find reviews of those two models.
>
> They're also noticeably cheaper than the Leicas, so unless you _really_
> want that Leica name, go with the Panasonics. The guts, including the
> lenses, are the same.
>
> -dms

But is the software and noise control ?

cgiorgio 04-12-2007 05:05 AM

Re: Leica

"Rich" <rander3127@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:1176337880.727575.220390@d57g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
> On Apr 11, 5:43 pm, "Danepipesmoker" <iannwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does anybody know the real difference as far as advantages and
>> disadvantages go between the Leica D-Lux 3 and the V-Lux 1? Has
>> anybody shot either cameras?
>>
>> Thanks so much,
>>
>> Danepipesmoker

> Hmmm. They are both overpriced Panasonic ripoffs that this camera
> will blow away?
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/

Most certainly not. Leica lenses are a different class. The firmware in the
Leica models differs from that in the Panasonic models, in camera processing
(for obtaining JPEG - files) is possibly improved. However there is no
difference in RAW files obtained with Leica or equivalent Panasonic models.
The higher price for the Leica branded models might partially go into better
after sales service.

J. Clarke 04-12-2007 08:49 AM

Re: Leica

cgiorgio wrote:
> "Rich" <rander3127@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:1176337880.727575.220390@d57g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
>> On Apr 11, 5:43 pm, "Danepipesmoker" <iannwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Does anybody know the real difference as far as advantages and
>>> disadvantages go between the Leica D-Lux 3 and the V-Lux 1? Has
>>> anybody shot either cameras?
>>>
>>> Thanks so much,
>>>
>>> Danepipesmoker

>> Hmmm. They are both overpriced Panasonic ripoffs that this camera
>> will blow away?
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/
>>

> Most certainly not. Leica lenses are a different class. The firmware
> in the Leica models differs from that in the Panasonic models, in
> camera processing (for obtaining JPEG - files) is possibly improved.
> However there is no difference in RAW files obtained with Leica or
> equivalent Panasonic models. The higher price for the Leica branded
> models might partially go into better after sales service.

One thing I saw on the Leica site is that they seem to be including what
amounts to 6 month all risk (except theft) insurance--they give the
impression that if you smash the thing with a rock they'll replace it.
Not sure if that's worth the price difference though.

In answer to the OPs question though, the bottom line is that the D-LUX
3 is more compact and less versatile than the V-LUX 1.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

pltrgyst 05-09-2007 10:46 PM

Re: Leica

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 04:49:05 -0400, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@cox.net> wrote:

>One thing I saw on the Leica site is that they seem to be including what
>amounts to 6 month all risk (except theft) insurance--they give the
>impression that if you smash the thing with a rock they'll replace it.
>Not sure if that's worth the price difference though.
>
>In answer to the OPs question though, the bottom line is that the D-LUX
>3 is more compact and less versatile than the V-LUX 1.

I picked one up last weekend, and that is the coverage they explained to me.

It's a pretty darned nice camera -- gave my wife back her Casio Z600. Had it out
on my bro-in-law's boat, and the OIS worked beautifully.

-- Larry