Velocity Reviews

-   -   POTS -> VOIP connector? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t501012-pots-voip-connector.html)

Alan 04-23-2007 10:43 AM

POTS -> VOIP connector?

Morning

Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
line (POTS?)

Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one supplier)

Regards

Alan

Tim 04-23-2007 10:55 AM

Re: POTS -> VOIP connector?

Alan wrote:

> Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
> network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
> line (POTS?)
>
> Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one
> supplier)

For home?

So you want the choice of whether the call goes down your normal phone
line or through your VoIP provider?

Siemens C460IP is the simplest device that does this, and give you a
cordless phone in the process.

http://www.provu.co.uk/siemens_c460IP.html

Tim

Gordon Henderson 04-23-2007 11:11 AM

Re: POTS -> VOIP connector?

In article <h7KdnUPfecp7ELHbnZ2dnUVZ8turnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Alan <killspam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>Morning
>
>Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
>network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
>line (POTS?)
>
>Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one supplier)

The generic name for what you want is an ATA - Analogue Telephone
Adapter. There are dozens of makes out there. If you buy one off an
independant reseller then it won't be tied to anything - you just have
the box which you can program (web interface) and enter in the details
of the SIP account which you can buy from many other resellers.

Everyone has their favourite ATA - right now, mine is the Siemens
CP460IP which comes with a DECT phone and it relatively simple to setup.
I've deployed quite a few of these for my clients now.

Gordon

Alan 04-23-2007 12:25 PM

Re: POTS -> VOIP connector?

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article <h7KdnUPfecp7ELHbnZ2dnUVZ8turnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> Alan <killspam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> Morning
>>
>> Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
>> network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
>> line (POTS?)
>>
>> Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one supplier)

> The generic name for what you want is an ATA - Analogue Telephone
> Adapter. There are dozens of makes out there. If you buy one off an
> independant reseller then it won't be tied to anything - you just have
> the box which you can program (web interface) and enter in the details
> of the SIP account which you can buy from many other resellers.
>
> Everyone has their favourite ATA - right now, mine is the Siemens
> CP460IP which comes with a DECT phone and it relatively simple to setup.
> I've deployed quite a few of these for my clients now.
>
> Gordon

Thanks chaps

Ah so its called an ATA - thanks for that

I already have an up to date DECT phone and ideally am looking for an
ATA that defaults to POTS, but allows me to dial VOIP when I want ie I
continue (at least in the short term to use BT)

Does anyone have any experience of this baby?

http://www.grandstream.com/ht386.html

Cheers

Alan

Gordon Henderson 04-23-2007 12:56 PM

Re: POTS -> VOIP connector?

In article <7LqdnSsgYelaOLHbnZ2dnUVZ8s-qnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Alan <killspam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> In article <h7KdnUPfecp7ELHbnZ2dnUVZ8turnZ2d@giganews.com>,
>> Alan <killspam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Morning
>>>
>>> Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
>>> network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
>>> line (POTS?)
>>>
>>> Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one supplier)

>> The generic name for what you want is an ATA - Analogue Telephone
>> Adapter. There are dozens of makes out there. If you buy one off an
>> independant reseller then it won't be tied to anything - you just have
>> the box which you can program (web interface) and enter in the details
>> of the SIP account which you can buy from many other resellers.
>>
>> Everyone has their favourite ATA - right now, mine is the Siemens
>> CP460IP which comes with a DECT phone and it relatively simple to setup.
>> I've deployed quite a few of these for my clients now.
>>
>> Gordon

>Thanks chaps
>
>Ah so its called an ATA - thanks for that
>
>I already have an up to date DECT phone and ideally am looking for an
>ATA that defaults to POTS, but allows me to dial VOIP when I want ie I
>continue (at least in the short term to use BT)
>
>Does anyone have any experience of this baby?
>
>http://www.grandstream.com/ht386.html

I've deployed a few Grandstream 488's. They seem to work OK, but their
router functions are overkill for most needs.

I have a couple surplus to requirements (clients moved on to Siemens
units) - drop me an email if interested.

Gordon

Alan 04-23-2007 01:36 PM

Re: POTS -> VOIP connector?

>> Thanks chaps
>>
>> Ah so its called an ATA - thanks for that
>>
>> I already have an up to date DECT phone and ideally am looking for an
>> ATA that defaults to POTS, but allows me to dial VOIP when I want ie I
>> continue (at least in the short term to use BT)
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience of this baby?
>>
>> http://www.grandstream.com/ht386.html

> I've deployed a few Grandstream 488's. They seem to work OK, but their
> router functions are overkill for most needs.
>
> I have a couple surplus to requirements (clients moved on to Siemens
> units) - drop me an email if interested.

Have emailed you direct.

Kind regards

Alan

Herman 04-23-2007 05:37 PM

Re: POTS -> VOIP connector?

"Gordon Henderson" <gordon@drogon.net> wrote in message
> In article <7LqdnSsgYelaOLHbnZ2dnUVZ8s-qnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> Alan <killspam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>Gordon Henderson wrote:

>>> The generic name for what you want is an ATA - Analogue Telephone
>>> Adapter. There are dozens of makes out there. If you buy one off an
>>> independant reseller then it won't be tied to anything - you just have
>>> the box which you can program (web interface) and enter in the details
>>> of the SIP account which you can buy from many other resellers.
>>>
>>> Everyone has their favourite ATA - right now, mine is the Siemens
>>> CP460IP which comes with a DECT phone and it relatively simple to setup.
>>> I've deployed quite a few of these for my clients now.
>>>
>>> Gordon

>>Thanks chaps
>>
>>Ah so its called an ATA - thanks for that
>>
>>I already have an up to date DECT phone and ideally am looking for an
>>ATA that defaults to POTS, but allows me to dial VOIP when I want ie I
>>continue (at least in the short term to use BT)
>>
>>Does anyone have any experience of this baby?
>>
>>http://www.grandstream.com/ht386.html

> I've deployed a few Grandstream 488's. They seem to work OK, but their
> router functions are overkill for most needs.
>
> I have a couple surplus to requirements (clients moved on to Siemens
> units) - drop me an email if interested.
>
> Gordon

I had a Grandstream 486 which I did not rate especially not if you want
majority of calls to go over PSTN. Fritzbox is my personal favourite
although on the pricey side, so could be overkill for your requirements.

Brian A 04-23-2007 06:44 PM

Re: POTS -> VOIP connector?

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:37:24 GMT, "Herman"
<whhitehousemadhouse-2005@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>"Gordon Henderson" <gordon@drogon.net> wrote in message
>news:462cad0c$0$21842$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk.. .
>> In article <7LqdnSsgYelaOLHbnZ2dnUVZ8s-qnZ2d@giganews.com>,
>> Alan <killspam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Thanks chaps
>>>
>>>Ah so its called an ATA - thanks for that
>>>
>>>I already have an up to date DECT phone and ideally am looking for an
>>>ATA that defaults to POTS, but allows me to dial VOIP when I want ie I
>>>continue (at least in the short term to use BT)
>>>
>>>Does anyone have any experience of this baby?
>>>
>>>http://www.grandstream.com/ht386.html

>> I've deployed a few Grandstream 488's. They seem to work OK, but their
>> router functions are overkill for most needs.
>>
>> I have a couple surplus to requirements (clients moved on to Siemens
>> units) - drop me an email if interested.
>>
>> Gordon

>I had a Grandstream 486 which I did not rate especially not if you want
>majority of calls to go over PSTN. Fritzbox is my personal favourite
>although on the pricey side, so could be overkill for your requirements.

As Linksys/Sipura has not been mentioned yet.....
I think that the SPA-3102 is good because it is very configurable, has
fall back to PSTN line, can auto route to up to 5 outgoing providers
depending on number type as well as PSTN. I can only take calls on
one incoming number though. If you want more incoming lines you'd need
to look at using addtional ATAs, a trixbox or voxalot.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

LVMarc 04-24-2007 03:42 AM

Re: POTS -> VOIP connector?

Alan wrote:
> Morning
>
> Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
> network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
> line (POTS?)
>
> Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one
> supplier)
>
> Regards
>
> Alan

the best long term solution, in terms of connectivity, power consumption
and surge protetion is rigth here::

""

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2713&rd=1&rd=1

read the reviews and listing for product details

Marco

Jon 04-24-2007 09:57 AM

Re: POTS -> VOIP connector?

killspam@blueyonder.co.uk declared for all the world to hear...
> Morning
>
> Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
> network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
> line (POTS?)
>
> Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one supplier)

Fritzbox fon ATA.
--
Regards
Jon