Velocity Reviews

-   -   Copying Problems XP (con't) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t500515-copying-problems-xp-cont.html)

sittingduck 04-19-2007 03:32 AM

Re: Copying Problems XP (con't)

Luke O'Malley wrote:

> My laptop runs NTFS and my external hard drive is running FAT32. When I
> try to copy all my subfolders to the HD some of them will not copy and I
> get the following message.
>
> "Cannot create or replace <Folder>. The directory or file cannot
> created."

It could be a naming issue, illegal folder/file names. Google the exact error
message for more clues.

Luke O'Malley 04-19-2007 03:43 AM

Copying Problems XP (con't)

Took advice with no positive result. Also checked MS with no result. Once
again -

My laptop runs NTFS and my external hard drive is running FAT32. When I try
to copy all my subfolders to the HD some of them will not copy and I get the
following message.

"Cannot create or replace <Folder>. The directory or file cannot created."

Any suggestions?

Goodwill,
Luke

why? 04-19-2007 05:39 AM

Re: Copying Problems XP (con't)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 22:43:56 -0500, Luke O'Malley wrote:

You had to start a new thread?

>Took advice with no positive result. Also checked MS with no result. Once
>again -
>
>My laptop runs NTFS and my external hard drive is running FAT32. When I try
>to copy all my subfolders to the HD some of them will not copy and I get the
>following message.

Try the copy with the short names?

Then again did you say the external was FAT32 before? That could be the
issue, but I always use NTFS.

Try the Microsoft newsgroups, you know like
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers

Rolf 04-19-2007 03:58 PM

Re: Copying Problems XP (con't)

"Luke O'Malley" <lukeomalley@optonline.net> skrev i melding
> Took advice with no positive result. Also checked MS with no result. Once
> again -
>
> My laptop runs NTFS and my external hard drive is running FAT32. When I

try
> to copy all my subfolders to the HD some of them will not copy and I get

the
> following message.
>
> "Cannot create or replace <Folder>. The directory or file cannot

created."

Certain that there are no hidden, read only or system files with the same
name on the disk?