Velocity Reviews

-   -   Internet Exploder Problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t500331-internet-exploder-problem.html)

tangle.elffly@yahoo.com 04-12-2007 07:30 PM

Internet Exploder Problem

Hello! I am looking for clues and hopefully a new direction to look in
for this weird one..
Internet Explorer 6 no longer gives the option to "Remember my
password"
I have tried the following:
1. Check Protected storage service; it is set to auto and is started
2. Create the DisablePasswordCaching DWORD value in (HKEY_CURRENT_USER
\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Interne tSettings):
The value is set to 0
3. Made sure the the autocomplete is set to prompt to save passwords.
Anyone ever had or heard of anything like this? I think I have just
about reached the end of the internet with all my searching for clues
on this one....I see lots of people WANT this (feature??) to be
unavailable (and btw by using step 2 above you can remove the option,
just change the dword value to 1 and to get the checkbox back change
it to 0) but not many are having problems with it missing.
I don't think it is a group policy setting, but wouldn't rule it
out..it would have to have been set accidentally though since none of
us created a policy for that purpose.
Maybe a MS security update?
Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks

Jan B 04-12-2007 08:35 PM

Re: Internet Exploder Problem

<tangle.elffly@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
news:1176406206.815532.205440@d57g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
> Hello! I am looking for clues and hopefully a new direction to look
> in
> for this weird one..
> Internet Explorer 6 no longer gives the option to "Remember my
> password"
> I have tried the following:
> 1. Check Protected storage service; it is set to auto and is started
> 2. Create the DisablePasswordCaching DWORD value in
> (HKEY_CURRENT_USER
> \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Interne tSettings):
> The value is set to 0
> 3. Made sure the the autocomplete is set to prompt to save
> passwords.
> Anyone ever had or heard of anything like this? I think I have just
> about reached the end of the internet with all my searching for
> clues
> on this one....I see lots of people WANT this (feature??) to be
> unavailable (and btw by using step 2 above you can remove the
> option,
> just change the dword value to 1 and to get the checkbox back change
> it to 0) but not many are having problems with it missing.
> I don't think it is a group policy setting, but wouldn't rule it
> out..it would have to have been set accidentally though since none
> of
> us created a policy for that purpose.
> Maybe a MS security update?
> Any ideas appreciated.
> Thanks

See
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...ocomplete.mspx

tangle.elffly@yahoo.com 04-12-2007 08:38 PM

On Apr 12, 2:30 pm, tangle.elf...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello! I am looking for clues and hopefully a new direction to look in
> for this weird one..
> Internet Explorer 6 no longer gives the option to "Remember my
> password"
> I have tried the following:
> 1. Check Protected storage service; it is set to auto and is started
> 2. Create the DisablePasswordCaching DWORD value in (HKEY_CURRENT_USER
> \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Interne tSettings):
> The value is set to 0
> 3. Made sure the the autocomplete is set to prompt to save passwords.
> Anyone ever had or heard of anything like this? I think I have just
> about reached the end of the internet with all my searching for clues
> on this one....I see lots of people WANT this (feature??) to be
> unavailable (and btw by using step 2 above you can remove the option,
> just change the dword value to 1 and to get the checkbox back change
> it to 0) but not many are having problems with it missing.
> I don't think it is a group policy setting, but wouldn't rule it
> out..it would have to have been set accidentally though since none of
> us created a policy for that purpose.
> Maybe a MS security update?
> Any ideas appreciated.
> Thanks

**installing IE 7 is not an option either. thnx

Jason 04-12-2007 09:50 PM

<tangle.elffly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1176410312.158975.311510@p77g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
> On Apr 12, 2:30 pm, tangle.elf...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Hello! I am looking for clues and hopefully a new direction to look in
>> for this weird one..
>> Internet Explorer 6 no longer gives the option to "Remember my
>> password"
>> I have tried the following:
>> 1. Check Protected storage service; it is set to auto and is started
>> 2. Create the DisablePasswordCaching DWORD value in (HKEY_CURRENT_USER
>> \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Interne tSettings):
>> The value is set to 0
>> 3. Made sure the the autocomplete is set to prompt to save passwords.
>> Anyone ever had or heard of anything like this? I think I have just
>> about reached the end of the internet with all my searching for clues
>> on this one....I see lots of people WANT this (feature??) to be
>> unavailable (and btw by using step 2 above you can remove the option,
>> just change the dword value to 1 and to get the checkbox back change
>> it to 0) but not many are having problems with it missing.
>> I don't think it is a group policy setting, but wouldn't rule it
>> out..it would have to have been set accidentally though since none of
>> us created a policy for that purpose.
>> Maybe a MS security update?
>> Any ideas appreciated.
>> Thanks

> **installing IE 7 is not an option either. thnx

Just out of curiousity...

Did this begin occuring after installing or uninstalling Internet Explorer
7.0?

Are you talking it asking for the dialup username and password, or for
websites?

Have you tried clicking the 'Restore Defaults' under the Advanced tab of
Internet Explorer?

Jason