Velocity Reviews

-   -   Menu issues (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t500081-menu-issues.html)

Jon Slaughter 04-14-2007 07:08 PM

Menu issues

http://www.jonslaughter.com/Test.html

I'm trying to finish up a last few bits on my site.

Some issues hopefully some of you guys can help me with:

I'm trying to get the menu working. (ignore colors and gibberish text as it
iwll be changed) The problem is that in Firefox the second tier of the menu
is displayed one line lower. This works in IE7. So I need to somehow
relatively change the position of the second tier but still have it as a
position fixed(I think). Maybe I can nest some divs or something?

In both cases when the mouse moves off the link the second tier is removed.
Obviously this is the correct behavior of the code but its not what I want
to do. Is there a way to keep the second tier up? I'm thinking about adding
a hover action to the second tier itself but not sure if that will work or
if its the best way. (I'll try it and see). I know I can add the ability to
click it and show the menu but I don't want that type of response.

Another problem is that the seperator is showing through the second tier.
Its kinda annoying but z-indexing doesn't seem to help(I guess because the
its using the z-index of the navbar instead of the one I'm specifying at the
ul)

There are some issues with IE6 that I would like to fix. The main things is
that IE5-6 display the graphics but since there PNG it causes them problems.
Is there any way to conditionally include html code that is browser
dependent? It also needs to be done with the css hover code since IE5-6
don't support it but do support the initial display:none; I would need to
set it it to display:block; if these browsers are being used so they can
atleast get the menu.

Basically what I'm looking for is for *crappy* browsers to only display the
nav bar without any css effects except font and color and the content
page(purple). Everything else can be ignored because I will use php to load
up stuff in the content page that will in general be relatively simple
pages. (but I guess I'll still use css there too so I cannot ignore all the
css)

Thanks,
Jon

Jonathan N. Little 04-14-2007 10:37 PM

Re: Menu issues

Jon Slaughter wrote:
<snip>
> There are some issues with IE6 that I would like to fix. The main things is
> that IE5-6 display the graphics but since there PNG it causes them problems.
> Is there any way to conditionally include html code that is browser
> dependent? It also needs to be done with the css hover code since IE5-6
> don't support it but do support the initial display:none; I would need to
> set it it to display:block; if these browsers are being used so they can
> atleast get the menu.

That is not all, IE<=6 Will not show you fly-out menus as well don't you
know... IE<=6 only supports :hover pseudo class on A elements. You need
some javascript or alternate method for nearly 1/3 of your visitors!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jon Slaughter 04-14-2007 10:38 PM

Re: Menu issues

"Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art@centralva.net> wrote in message
> Jon Slaughter wrote:
> <snip>
>> There are some issues with IE6 that I would like to fix. The main things
>> is that IE5-6 display the graphics but since there PNG it causes them
>> problems. Is there any way to conditionally include html code that is
>> browser dependent? It also needs to be done with the css hover code since
>> IE5-6 don't support it but do support the initial display:none; I would
>> need to set it it to display:block; if these browsers are being used so
>> they can atleast get the menu.

> That is not all, IE<=6 Will not show you fly-out menus as well don't you
> know... IE<=6 only supports :hover pseudo class on A elements. You need
> some javascript or alternate method for nearly 1/3 of your visitors!

I'm not worried about that at the moment. I'll go back and try to make it
work better for the crappy browsers once I get it working for the good ones.

Neredbojias 04-15-2007 06:33 AM

Re: Menu issues

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 19:08:12 GMT Jon Slaughter scribed:

> There are some issues with IE6 that I would like to fix. The main
> things is that IE5-6 display the graphics but since there PNG it
> causes them problems. Is there any way to conditionally include html
> code that is browser dependent? It also needs to be done with the css
> hover code since IE5-6 don't support it but do support the initial
> display:none; I would need to set it it to display:block; if these
> browsers are being used so they can atleast get the menu.
>
> Basically what I'm looking for is for *crappy* browsers to only
> display the nav bar without any css effects except font and color and
> the content page(purple). Everything else can be ignored because I
> will use php to load up stuff in the content page that will in general
> be relatively simple pages. (but I guess I'll still use css there too
> so I cannot ignore all the css)

Without getting into the specifics, there are things called "conditional
comments" which work great and would probably help you very much.

--
Neredbojias

Jon Slaughter 04-15-2007 07:32 AM

Re: Menu issues

"Neredbojias" <lithiumthinner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9912EFBE0D986nanopandaneredbojias@208.49.8 0.251...
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 19:08:12 GMT Jon Slaughter scribed:
>
>> There are some issues with IE6 that I would like to fix. The main
>> things is that IE5-6 display the graphics but since there PNG it
>> causes them problems. Is there any way to conditionally include html
>> code that is browser dependent? It also needs to be done with the css
>> hover code since IE5-6 don't support it but do support the initial
>> display:none; I would need to set it it to display:block; if these
>> browsers are being used so they can atleast get the menu.
>>
>> Basically what I'm looking for is for *crappy* browsers to only
>> display the nav bar without any css effects except font and color and
>> the content page(purple). Everything else can be ignored because I
>> will use php to load up stuff in the content page that will in general
>> be relatively simple pages. (but I guess I'll still use css there too
>> so I cannot ignore all the css)

> Without getting into the specifics, there are things called "conditional
> comments" which work great and would probably help you very much.

Ok, thanks... I'll look it up and see what I can find.

Jon