Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sequence.nextval numeric type in Oracle 10g differs from Oracle 8i when using MS OleDb provider (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t499525-sequence-nextval-numeric-type-in-oracle-10g-differs-from-oracle-8i-when-using-ms-oledb-provider.html)

alasdair.johnson@gmail.com 04-27-2007 04:57 PM

Sequence.nextval numeric type in Oracle 10g differs from Oracle 8i when using MS OleDb provider

A bug I noticed which doesn't seem to be posted on usenet, nor
recognized by Oracle (who didn't want to help unless we had been using
their ADO.NET provider...):

We used to retrieve the sequence id, mysequence.nextval, into ADO.NET.
This was returned as a decimal and so we cast it directly to a
decimal. However, when we upgraded the Oracle database to 10g, the
code broke because the value thus returned was then a double
(which .NET can't seem to cast to a decimal - go figure). We were
using Microsoft's generic OleDb provider to access the Oracle
databases (Provider=MSDAORA.1).

The fix, it turns out, is to use the Oracle OleDb provider (Provider =
OraOLEDB.Oracle). This provides a drop-in replacement for the
Microsoft OleDb provider, and thus obviates the need for making
changes to the code (which for us would have been a pain). Hopefully
there are no significant differences otherwise between the two
providers...

I hope this helps someone else who may also come across this problem.