Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT: Looking for networking info (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t49914-ot-looking-for-networking-info.html)

Keyboard Cowboy 07-06-2004 07:13 PM

OT: Looking for networking info

I saw a guy that used to work for my company as a VP. A
couple years back, he didn't see eye to eye with the CEO,
so under a mutual seperation agreement (package), he
decided to part ways. He started up a company almost like
a consulting firm/reseller. Basically, he contracts out
with hardware co's that manufacture hubs/switches/routers
etc. He looks at them and the company as a whole and
decides whether or not to do business with them. If so,
he takes that technology and sells it to mediums/large
sized businesses.

Here is the deal. This guy has asked me to come work for
him. Actually, he has been asking me for a year now.
Problem is that all my experience is operating systems and
networking (from a desk) as well as db programming. So, I
don't have experience with the hardware or the specific
topology of the networking structure (again,
specifically). I have googled for some info, but would
like to get some "professional" opinions (hahahaha).
Anyone got any ideas of books or mags? He wants someone
that can walk in and look at a business to make
recommendations. I am not quite there yet. But I might
want to consider it in the future... but need to get some
background first.

Neil 07-06-2004 07:23 PM

Re: OT: Looking for networking info

"Keyboard Cowboy" <thekeyboardcowboy@nospam.cybersolutionz.com> wrote in

> Anyone got any ideas of books or mags?

your timing is impecable. This was on the wire this morning

he has a roughly 500 page book that should get you going on Cisco. FREE!

find it at:
http://www.spcollege.edu/star/cisco/...pers_and_brief
..htm

or

http://tinyurl.com/3755b

--
Neil MCNGP #30

Consultant 07-06-2004 07:28 PM

Re: Looking for networking info

what kind of money and where?

"Keyboard Cowboy" <thekeyboardcowboy@nospam.cybersolutionz.com> wrote in
message news:2822001c4638d$44e54070$a301280a@phx.gbl...

Rick 07-06-2004 08:22 PM

Re: OT: Looking for networking info

Great post Neil.

Thank you

Rick

news:Xns951E9C892B8D5neilmcsehotmailcom@207.46.248 .16...

Keyboard Cowboy 07-06-2004 09:15 PM

Re: OT: Looking for networking info

Thanks Neil. I will look at this for sure... but am a
little concerned with only looking at Cisco. See, from
what I understand, the products I will be looking at are
competitors with Cisco. So, I will need to know more
about Cisco, but don't want to stop there... since I will
have a need to know about other products. Thanks!!! I
will check this out.

apers_and_brief

Keyboard Cowboy 07-06-2004 09:17 PM

Re: Looking for networking info

In MN... 6 figures (not including decimal points).

I am sure there will be plenty of travel. He has spent
the last few months hob-nobbing with CEOs around the
country. So I am sure there will be some travel. That
part stinks.

nerd32768 07-06-2004 09:24 PM

message news:283bb01c4639e$9818c800$a301280a@phx.gbl...

is there an age limit?
my current salary has 3 figures :(

catwalker63 07-06-2004 09:55 PM

Re: Looking for networking info

Mine has no figures. <sigh> But I don't wanna move to MN. Do people
actually live there?

Have you tried looking at the sites for the particular hardware you will be
supporting? They might have some info on their products -- publications,
specs, etc. you could study to become familiar with what their supposed to
do. You should also be able to parlay your experience from the desk to help
you understand the challenges facing your customers.

Good luck!

--
Kelley
aka catwalker

nerd32768 07-06-2004 10:25 PM

Re: Looking for networking info

> Mine has no figures. <sigh>

Thank god for allowance and illiterate neighbors!

catwalker63 07-06-2004 11:24 PM

Re: Looking for networking info

I'm a little old for allowances. <sigh>