Velocity Reviews

-   -   nat and asymmetric routing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t498783-nat-and-asymmetric-routing.html)

linguafr 04-23-2007 10:08 PM

nat and asymmetric routing

Is it possible to nat outbound (using same addresses) out a different
interface than the incoming interface? The lan default gw is on the
preferred outbound path so traffic would have to reflect off that int
and get natted. The ISP for the outbound path is partnered with the
service provider providing the inbound path so they'll honor the
"foreign" block.

thanks

headsetadapter.com 04-24-2007 01:00 AM

Re: nat and asymmetric routing

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but most likely you
need a feature named "nat on a stick". It allows you to do NAT translation
to a packets BEFORE they hit the "outside" interface.

Briefly, how it works:

1. You create a loopback interface, configure it with IP address, and define
as "ip nat outside"
2. You create PBR (policy based routing), to send a packets to loopback
interface.
3. After packet hits a loopback interface, and get NATed, packet gets back
to a routing engine to be routed normal way.
4. You create another PBR for returning traffic.

Good luck,

Mike
CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
------
Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones
www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com
www.headsetadapter.com

news:1177366097.880873.157400@e65g2000hsc.googlegr oups.com...

linguafr 04-24-2007 05:40 AM

Re: nat and asymmetric routing

Thanks mike. That's what TAC suggested as well. Pretty clever.