Velocity Reviews

-   Microsoft Certification (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f24-microsoft-certification.html)
-   -   Which Certification to get? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t498740-which-certification-to-get.html)

=?Utf-8?B?TmljayBkJ0FtYXRv?= 04-25-2007 10:54 AM

Which Certification to get?

I am a 20 year old college student in Columbus OH. I have been struggling
with the decision on which MCP Certification to pursue. I have a healthy
knowledge of computers and their workings but would clearly need to take
classes and/ or buy books for any of them. I've purchased the MCSA/MCSE
Microsoft Press Self-Paced Training Kit covering exam 70-270 and am enjoying
that. I am aware that haveing an end goal as to what job i desire is
important but am kind of starting from square one here. Having said all of
that I'm not sure exactly which field of the IT industry i would or should
pursue. I'm good at working with people and have above average communication
skills. I've spent several days looking over the MCP website reading up on
many of the MCP certifications. any thoughts on a good place to start or look
for more information would be greatly appreciated.

Michael D. Alligood 04-25-2007 12:17 PM

Re: Which Certification to get?

"Nick d'Amato" <Nick d'Amato@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I am a 20 year old college student in Columbus OH. I have been struggling
> with the decision on which MCP Certification to pursue. I have a healthy
> knowledge of computers and their workings but would clearly need to take
> classes and/ or buy books for any of them. I've purchased the MCSA/MCSE
> Microsoft Press Self-Paced Training Kit covering exam 70-270 and am enjoying
> that. I am aware that haveing an end goal as to what job i desire is
> important but am kind of starting from square one here. Having said all of
> that I'm not sure exactly which field of the IT industry i would or should
> pursue. I'm good at working with people and have above average communication
> skills. I've spent several days looking over the MCP website reading up on
> many of the MCP certifications. any thoughts on a good place to start or look
> for more information would be greatly appreciated.

Pursue the certification you have the most experience in. Before you
move forward with this, please read the following:
http://www.certguard.com/Certificati...Experience.asp
http://www.certguard.com/Why-Certify.asp
http://www.certguard.com/Seven-Steps...on-Success.asp

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Maincat 04-25-2007 05:21 PM

"Michael D. Alligood" <mdalligood@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> "Nick d'Amato" <Nick d'Amato@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> I am a 20 year old college student in Columbus OH. I have been struggling
>> with the decision on which MCP Certification to pursue. I have a healthy
>> knowledge of computers and their workings but would clearly need to take
>> classes and/ or buy books for any of them. I've purchased the MCSA/MCSE
>> Microsoft Press Self-Paced Training Kit covering exam 70-270 and am
>> enjoying
>> that. I am aware that haveing an end goal as to what job i desire is
>> important but am kind of starting from square one here. Having said all
>> of
>> that I'm not sure exactly which field of the IT industry i would or
>> should
>> pursue. I'm good at working with people and have above average
>> communication
>> skills. I've spent several days looking over the MCP website reading up
>> on
>> many of the MCP certifications. any thoughts on a good place to start or
>> look
>> for more information would be greatly appreciated.

> Pursue the certification you have the most experience in. Before you move
> forward with this, please read the following:
> http://www.certguard.com/Certificati...Experience.asp
> http://www.certguard.com/Why-Certify.asp
> http://www.certguard.com/Seven-Steps...on-Success.asp
>

> --
> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

But don't be put off by it.

Michael D. Alligood 04-25-2007 05:44 PM

"Maincat" <steve@nospam.org.uk> wrote in message

> "Michael D. Alligood" <mdalligood@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > "Nick d'Amato" <Nick d'Amato@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> I am a 20 year old college student in Columbus OH. I have been struggling
> >> with the decision on which MCP Certification to pursue. I have a healthy
> >> knowledge of computers and their workings but would clearly need to take
> >> classes and/ or buy books for any of them. I've purchased the MCSA/MCSE
> >> Microsoft Press Self-Paced Training Kit covering exam 70-270 and am
> >> enjoying
> >> that. I am aware that haveing an end goal as to what job i desire is
> >> important but am kind of starting from square one here. Having said all
> >> of
> >> that I'm not sure exactly which field of the IT industry i would or
> >> should
> >> pursue. I'm good at working with people and have above average
> >> communication
> >> skills. I've spent several days looking over the MCP website reading up
> >> on
> >> many of the MCP certifications. any thoughts on a good place to start or
> >> look
> >> for more information would be greatly appreciated.

> > Pursue the certification you have the most experience in. Before you move
> > forward with this, please read the following:
> > http://www.certguard.com/Certificati...Experience.asp
> > http://www.certguard.com/Why-Certify.asp
> > http://www.certguard.com/Seven-Steps...on-Success.asp
> >

> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
> > CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com
> >

> But don't be put off by it.

Yeah, what do I know?

Maincat 04-26-2007 11:40 AM

> "Maincat" <steve@nospam.org.uk> wrote in message
>
>> "Michael D. Alligood" <mdalligood@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> > "Nick d'Amato" <Nick d'Amato@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message

>> > Pursue the certification you have the most experience in. Before you
>> > move
>> > forward with this, please read the following:
>> > http://www.certguard.com/Certificati...Experience.asp
>> > http://www.certguard.com/Why-Certify.asp
>> > http://www.certguard.com/Seven-Steps...on-Success.asp
>> >

>> > --
>> > Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
>> > The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
>> > CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com
>> >

>> But don't be put off by it.

> Yeah, what do I know?
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Don't know, don't care.

zbatia 04-26-2007 01:44 PM

Nick d'Amato;7539635 Wrote:
> I am a 20 year old college student in Columbus OH. I have been
> struggling
> with the decision on which MCP Certification to pursue...

I would suggest you reading the following information:
http://www.rtek2000.com/career.html
http://www.rtek2000.com/certific.html (don't miss the Red Book)

For your certification needs:
http://www.rtek2000.com/transcender2.html
http://www.rtek2000.com/courses/microsoft.html
http://www.rtek2000.com/courses/cisco.html
http://www.rtek2000.com/courses/CompTIA.html

Good luck! And remember, the certification has a value if it is
complemented by experience, otherwise who would what to hire you? Read
the story about the certified dentist in the article above.

--
zbatia

=?Utf-8?B?TmljayBkJydBbWF0bw==?= 04-27-2007 07:40 PM

"zbatia" wrote:

> Nick d'Amato;7539635 Wrote:
> > I am a 20 year old college student in Columbus OH. I have been
> > struggling
> > with the decision on which MCP Certification to pursue...

> I would suggest you reading the following information:
> http://www.rtek2000.com/career.html
> http://www.rtek2000.com/certific.html (don't miss the Red Book)
>
> For your certification needs:
> http://www.rtek2000.com/transcender2.html
> http://www.rtek2000.com/courses/microsoft.html
> http://www.rtek2000.com/courses/cisco.html
> http://www.rtek2000.com/courses/CompTIA.html
>
> Good luck! And remember, the certification has a value if it is
> complemented by experience, otherwise who would what to hire you? Read
> the story about the certified dentist in the article above.
>

> --
> zbatia

Thank you all for all of the help and insight you have given me these
websites are a huge help and i really appreciate it. thanks again

Jonathan Roberts 05-11-2007 06:23 AM

Nick d'Amato wrote:
> I am a 20 year old college student in Columbus OH. I have been struggling
> with the decision on which MCP Certification to pursue. I have a healthy
> knowledge of computers and their workings but would clearly need to take
> classes and/ or buy books for any of them. I've purchased the MCSA/MCSE
> Microsoft Press Self-Paced Training Kit covering exam 70-270 and am enjoying
> that. I am aware that haveing an end goal as to what job i desire is
> important but am kind of starting from square one here. Having said all of
> that I'm not sure exactly which field of the IT industry i would or should
> pursue. I'm good at working with people and have above average communication
> skills. I've spent several days looking over the MCP website reading up on
> many of the MCP certifications. any thoughts on a good place to start or look
> for more information would be greatly appreciated.

You might consider learning SQL Server 2005. Data design is very
logical. It may or may not be your cup of tea.

Alternately, do you want to program, deal with network, hardware,
software, what?

If you have no idea completely, I would take 70-270 which is the Windows
XP client exam. If you have used or plan to use Vista, you might take
that client exam instead. If you like the OS exams, try 70-290 next.

Hope this helps,

--
Jonathan Roberts
MCTS: SQL Server 2005, MCP