Velocity Reviews

-   -   Hybrid Home Network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t498654-hybrid-home-network.html)

=?Utf-8?B?SnVzdCBQbGFpbiBCaWxs?= 04-19-2007 09:40 PM

Hybrid Home Network

I am attempting to set up my first network and have questions.

I have a new HP Pavillion DV 6000 with XP and with wireless builtin.
I have an older tower running 98 (I think SE)

I want to network them, with a wireless component for the laptop.

The research that I have done suggests that if I can find a wireless router
that will accept Ethernet input, then I can simply ethernet cable to the
wireless router and the laptop will pick up the wireless signal, thus a
hybrid network.

The problem is finding a wireless router that will accept the ethernet input
as opposed to a broad band cable or DSL line.

Any solutions that someone can supply me with.

Bill
AKA JP

Jim 04-19-2007 10:16 PM

Re: Hybrid Home Network

"Just Plain Bill" <Just Plain Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7398DF89-9B9F-4B4C-A301-2724AC040288@microsoft.com...
>I am attempting to set up my first network and have questions.
>
> I have a new HP Pavillion DV 6000 with XP and with wireless builtin.
> I have an older tower running 98 (I think SE)
>
> I want to network them, with a wireless component for the laptop.
>
> The research that I have done suggests that if I can find a wireless
> router
> that will accept Ethernet input, then I can simply ethernet cable to the
> wireless router and the laptop will pick up the wireless signal, thus a
> hybrid network.
>
> The problem is finding a wireless router that will accept the ethernet
> input
> as opposed to a broad band cable or DSL line.
>
> Any solutions that someone can supply me with.
>
> Bill
> AKA JP

Nearly all of the wireless routers have ethernet ports as well. Very few
can connect directly to broadband cable or DSL.

However, there is a bit more to creating the network than merely getting the
hardware connected. One problem is that most people left Win98
a long time ago; thus finding knowledgable help can be difficult. I for one
never had (or needed) a home network when my computers were
running Win98. Thus I have no idea about how to get Win98 connected.

Jim

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 04-19-2007 11:51 PM

Re: Hybrid Home Network

Hi

Wireless Routers have on the LAN side 4 wired ports, and wireless capacity
for many Wireless computers.

Independent from the Internet you can plug the two desktops to the wired
ports, and the Laptop connects wirelessly.

You set the File Sharing on each computer and they would talk one to the
other.

This page has info concerning setting the Network and File Sharing for
Windows98, 2000, and XP. http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

The Router also has a WAN port, if a Cable, or DSL Modem is connected to the
WAN port the three computers would connected to the Internet too, otherwise
leave this port open.

The whole thing looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

Jack (MVP-Networking).