Velocity Reviews

-   -   2-FXS VoIP adapter versus 2-port FXO VoIP adapter? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t497414-2-fxs-voip-adapter-versus-2-port-fxo-voip-adapter.html)

GS 04-08-2007 07:19 PM

2-FXS VoIP adapter versus 2-port FXO VoIP adapter?

I called one of the local VoIP provider for VoIP adapter, they offered
two types: 1) 2-FXS port VoIP adapter and 2) 2-FXO port VoIp adapter,
I need to connect just one regualar phone for phone services, which
one I have to take, any difference between FXO Vs FXS ports, I think
bith are RJ-11 ports to conect any regulat POTS phone right, any idea,
thanks.

John L 04-08-2007 09:25 PM

Re: 2-FXS VoIP adapter versus 2-port FXO VoIP adapter?

>I called one of the local VoIP provider for VoIP adapter, they offered
>two types: 1) 2-FXS port VoIP adapter and 2) 2-FXO port VoIp adapter,
>I need to connect just one regualar phone for phone services, which
>one I have to take, any difference between FXO Vs FXS ports, I think
>bith are RJ-11 ports to conect any regulat POTS phone right, any idea,
>thanks.

FXS and FXO are things on the two ends of the phone cord, S for
Station and O for central Office. A phone is a station, so if you
want it to work, the other end of the cord better be an FXO.

fugettaboutit 04-08-2007 09:39 PM

John L wrote:
>> I called one of the local VoIP provider for VoIP adapter, they offered
>> two types: 1) 2-FXS port VoIP adapter and 2) 2-FXO port VoIp adapter,
>> I need to connect just one regualar phone for phone services, which
>> one I have to take, any difference between FXO Vs FXS ports, I think
>> bith are RJ-11 ports to conect any regulat POTS phone right, any idea,
>> thanks.

> FXS and FXO are things on the two ends of the phone cord, S for
> Station and O for central Office. A phone is a station, so if you
> want it to work, the other end of the cord better be an FXO.

Actually, if he wants to connect a phone to a router/gateway, he'll do
that with the FXS ports. FXO would be for inbound/outbound calling via
analog lines/trunks to and from the CO.

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 04-08-2007 11:03 PM

johnl@iecc.com (John L) writes:
> FXS and FXO are things on the two ends of the phone cord, S for
> Station and O for central Office. A phone is a station, so if you
> want it to work, the other end of the cord better be an FXO.

And just to make it even more confusing the home VOIP adapters are
sometimes (incorrectly) labeled with the names of the interface that
they are meant to connect to. When you look at the Sipura marketing
material they refer to the various units as having either "2 FXS's"
for the two phone version or "1 FXS, 1 FXO" for the version that
splices between your CO and your phone. The FXO interface they are
referring to is clearly an interface that is meant to *connect* *to*
an FXO (but obviously is an FXS itself).

I'm not sure how the average person is expected to piece that alphabet
soup all together.

-wolfgang

DevilsPGD 04-09-2007 12:34 AM

Re: 2-FXS VoIP adapter versus 2-port FXO VoIP adapter?

In message <871wiu79k0.fsf@arbol.wsrcc.com> "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
<wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200704@gmail.com> wrote:

>And just to make it even more confusing the home VOIP adapters are
>sometimes (incorrectly) labeled with the names of the interface that
>they are meant to connect to.

Sure -- But you have to realize that this is pretty standard for PC
grade hardware. For many moons parallel ports had little "printer"
icons, PS/2 ports have little keyboard and mice icons, modems have a
jack where you connect the line-in, and one for the phone.

Home VoIP adapters are targeted towards that market, rather then the
more technical market that would want to know what a jack IS rather then
what it connects to.
--
Insert something clever here.

gery 04-19-2007 07:45 AM

Re: 2-FXS VoIP adapter versus 2-port FXO VoIP adapter?

It seems that you need a gateway ATA with only 1 RJ11 port.
Please see http://www.chinaroby.com
The price is only US$35

--

******************************
Gery Jiao

Roby Tech. Co., Ltd.

Skype : gery668
Web: http://www.chinaroby.com
Email: info@chinaroby.com
Tel : 86-755-83843088

| http://forums.cabling-design.com/ |
| *** a better way to USENET *** |
| no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup |
| comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 7589 messages and counting! |