Velocity Reviews

-   -   win commander deleted->undeletable?! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t497143-win-commander-deleted-undeletable.html)

anglomont@yahoo.com 04-07-2007 03:55 AM

win commander deleted->undeletable?!

Few files were deleted from winnt/ntfs disk in windows/total commander
but there's a good chance they were not overwritten.
So,downloaded&tryed the following undelete softwares: r-studio,easy
recovery,restorer2000, get data back,active undelete,directory snoop
and filerecovery pro with no result!!!!
Recovermyfiles had installation problems and Norton DOS unerase which
in this particular pc can be only started in win/dos box demands the
drive be locked first(is that possible?).Any other suggestions,please?!

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 04-07-2007 06:06 AM

Re: win commander deleted->undeletable?!

anglomont@yahoo.com wrote:

>Recovermyfiles had installation problems and Norton DOS unerase which
>in this particular pc can be only started in win/dos box demands the
>drive be locked first(is that possible?).Any other suggestions,please?!

Boot up into dos to use Unerase, boot disk,pen drive, or CD.

At least give it a try Unerase is a great recovery tool.

--
Virtual drum set
http://www.buckle.com/static/bscene/...ums/drums.html

Walter Mautner 04-07-2007 07:08 AM

anglomont@yahoo.com wrote:

> Few files were deleted from winnt/ntfs disk in windows/total commander
> but there's a good chance they were not overwritten.
> So,downloaded&tryed the following undelete softwares: r-studio,easy
> recovery,restorer2000, get data back,active undelete,directory snoop
> and filerecovery pro with no result!!!!
> Recovermyfiles had installation problems and Norton DOS unerase which
> in this particular pc can be only started in win/dos box demands the
> drive be locked first(is that possible?).Any other suggestions,please?!

There is a good chance your deleted files have been already overwritten by
the undelete softwares you tried to install. Your best bet would have been
to install the software (pc inspector file recovery, free, or others) on a
2nd computer and attach the harddrive with your deleted files temporarily
there.
Another alternative would be a floppy or cd bootable recovery program.

Desk Rabbit 04-07-2007 10:09 AM

anglomont@yahoo.com wrote:
> Few files were deleted from winnt/ntfs disk in windows/total commander
> but there's a good chance they were not overwritten.
> So,downloaded&tryed the following undelete softwares: r-studio,easy
> recovery,restorer2000, get data back,active undelete,directory snoop
> and filerecovery pro with no result!!!!
> Recovermyfiles had installation problems and Norton DOS unerase which
> in this particular pc can be only started in win/dos box demands the
> drive be locked first(is that possible?).Any other suggestions,please?!

Yeah. First thing, golden rule; when trying to recover deleted data,
make an image of the disk you are trying to recover. What you should not
do is try installing dozens of different recovery programs first.

anglomont@yahoo.com 04-07-2007 11:51 AM

Re: win commander deleted->undeletable?!

The mentioned softwares I tested on another machine where I
deliberately deleted few files.
The original machine however has installed R-studio and Easy Recovery
prior to deletion.
Boot sequence on it cannot be changed so I was hoping for either a
small prog to install or run off a floppy(such as winundelete-too bad
it won't work in NT), or one that can work from another pc through the
network!?
(which Norton Unerase for win is perhaps capable of that?)

philo 04-07-2007 02:01 PM

<anglomont@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1175918124.811574.169230@n59g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
> Few files were deleted from winnt/ntfs disk in windows/total commander
> but there's a good chance they were not overwritten.
> So,downloaded&tryed the following undelete softwares: r-studio,easy
> recovery,restorer2000, get data back,active undelete,directory snoop
> and filerecovery pro with no result!!!!
> Recovermyfiles had installation problems and Norton DOS unerase which
> in this particular pc can be only started in win/dos box demands the
> drive be locked first(is that possible?).Any other suggestions,please?!

Install a data recovery application on another machine...
then slave the drive with the lost data to it.

Do not attempt to install anything on the drive with the lost data.
stop using it at once!@!!!

Chuck 04-07-2007 04:02 PM

Re: win commander deleted->undeletable?!

Having more than one drive is rather criticial as well. I keep a copy of
REST 2514 on a seperate drive. It's small enough to fit on a floppy and of
course a flash drive and it's self contained and free. It's not too bad at
it's job either:
http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlrestoration.html

--
Chuck

news:1175946663.298362.319240@l77g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com...

anglomont@yahoo.com 04-11-2007 10:25 AM

Re: win commander deleted->undeletable?!

Thanks for the input however the mentioned software did not find the
files either
Does Total Commander actually write zeros to deleted files space?

Walter Mautner 04-12-2007 05:37 AM

anglomont@yahoo.com wrote:

> Thanks for the input however the mentioned software did not find the
> files either
> Does Total Commander actually write zeros to deleted files space?

TC uses the same filesystem api calls that explorer will do.
Well, I already mentioned ... your attempts to install various programs (and
even booting the machine to the OS) has most probably already overwritten
your files.
To have chances of recovery, it is vital to access the disk/partition
read-only, either by transferring it to another computer with recovery
software installed there, or by running a livecd or some recovery program
on a bootable floppy/usb drive.