Velocity Reviews

-   -   fast up you internet connection! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t496840-fast-up-you-internet-connection.html)

hack3r3z 04-05-2007 08:23 PM

fast up you internet connection!

I found this trick while messing up with group policy editor.

That ...Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their
own purposes like Windows Updates and interrogating your PC etc. same
issue is with all Microsoft OS by default.

You can get it back:
Click Start then Run and type "gpedit.msc" without quotes.
This opens the group policy editor.
Then go to: Local Computer Policy then Computer Configuration then
Administrative Templates
Then Network then QOS Packet Scheduler
And then to Limit Reservable Bandwidth.
Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth.
It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain'
tab i.e." By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20
percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting
to override the default.
"So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, and then set it to
ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the
default 20%.
It works on Win 2000 as well. How did you like it? Please comment.

Note: This trick works only for windows xp sp2 professional and
windows 2000 professional. It does not work on windows xp sp2 home
edition As there is no way to edit group policy editor.....

their are more then dozen's of tricks which you can explore
to see more, simply log on to http://techguru786.tk/

Sebastian Gottschalk 04-05-2007 09:50 PM

Re: fast up you internet connection!

hack3r3z wrote:

> I found this trick while messing up with group policy editor.
>
> That ...Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their
> own purposes like Windows Updates and interrogating your PC etc. same
> issue is with all Microsoft OS by default.

Ah, the old urban myth, created by people who don't have any clue what
they're doing...

Jim Watt 04-05-2007 11:17 PM

Re: fast up you internet connection!

On 5 Apr 2007 13:23:46 -0700, "hack3r3z" <faraz.moin@yahoo.co.in>
wrote:

>I found this trick while messing up with group policy editor.
>
>That ...Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their
>own purposes like Windows Updates and interrogating your PC etc. same
>issue is with all Microsoft OS by default.

really? As my PC has a 100mbs connection I wonder how they
use 20mbs of it when the router does not go that fast.

Also wonder how they interrogate my PC through NAT and the firewall

There are so many mysteries ...
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Vanguard 04-06-2007 04:29 AM

"hack3r3z" <faraz.moin@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message
news:1175804626.465973.226670@l77g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com...

> I found this trick while messing up with group policy editor.
>
> That ...Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their
> own purposes like Windows Updates and interrogating your PC etc. same
> issue is with all Microsoft OS by default.
>
> You can get it back:
> Click Start then Run and type "gpedit.msc" without quotes.
> This opens the group policy editor.
> Then go to: Local Computer Policy then Computer Configuration then
> Administrative Templates
> Then Network then QOS Packet Scheduler
> And then to Limit Reservable Bandwidth.
> Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth.
> It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain'
> tab i.e." By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20
> percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting
> to override the default.
> "So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, and then set it to
> ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the
> default 20%.
> It works on Win 2000 as well. How did you like it? Please comment.
>
> Note: This trick works only for windows xp sp2 professional and
> windows 2000 professional. It does not work on windows xp sp2 home
> edition As there is no way to edit group policy editor.....
>
> their are more then dozen's of tricks which you can explore
> to see more, simply log on to <snip_site_URL>

You don't have a clue what is QOS (Quality of Service), do you? Ever
heard of Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=define:qos) or Wiki
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qos)? Obviously no.

QoS only prioritizes the traffic. If it isn't there, it can't be given
priority. So do you constantly run their WGA program to qualify your
Windows license as authentic? No. Do you continuously run Windows
Updates? No. Besides, that was YOUR choice to run it. We promise it
won't interfere with your porn downloads.

Have you even bothered to check your NAT router? It probably has a QoS
function, too.

Considering this gleeming example of stupidity, there's no point in
checking out your others at your site.

BernieM 04-06-2007 10:59 PM

Re: fast up you internet connection!

"hack3r3z" <faraz.moin@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message
news:1175804626.465973.226670@l77g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com...

> I found this trick while messing up with group policy editor.
>
> That ...Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their
> own purposes like Windows Updates and interrogating your PC etc. same
> issue is with all Microsoft OS by default.
>
> You can get it back:
> Click Start then Run and type "gpedit.msc" without quotes.
> This opens the group policy editor.
> Then go to: Local Computer Policy then Computer Configuration then
> Administrative Templates
> Then Network then QOS Packet Scheduler
> And then to Limit Reservable Bandwidth.
> Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth.
> It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain'
> tab i.e." By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20
> percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting
> to override the default.
> "So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, and then set it to
> ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the
> default 20%.
> It works on Win 2000 as well. How did you like it? Please comment.
>
> Note: This trick works only for windows xp sp2 professional and
> windows 2000 professional. It does not work on windows xp sp2 home
> edition As there is no way to edit group policy editor.....
>
> their are more then dozen's of tricks which you can explore
> to see more, simply log on to http://techguru786.tk/

as they say ... "we don't know what we don't know" and "what we think we
know (maybe) just ain't so".