Velocity Reviews

-   -   A bird with a bad attitude (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t495648-a-bird-with-a-bad-attitude.html)

Scott W 04-01-2007 06:15 PM

A bird with a bad attitude

http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original

This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
look about them .

I put an order in to B&H for the 300mm f/4 lens before they close down
for the first part of April
The lens came Friday so I am out this weekend having a good time with
it. The bird shots are all 100% crops and were all taken hand held.

I must say so far I am delighted with this lens, although with the IS
on it does drain my battery pretty fast.
Here are a few shots from yesterday at the beach using the same lens
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/playing_in_waves_2

Scott

Ken Lucke 04-01-2007 06:24 PM

Re: A bird with a bad attitude

In article <1175451309.325039.259550@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups. com>,
Scott W <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original
>
> This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
> look about them .
>
> I put an order in to B&H for the 300mm f/4 lens before they close down
> for the first part of April
> The lens came Friday so I am out this weekend having a good time with
> it. The bird shots are all 100% crops and were all taken hand held.
>
> I must say so far I am delighted with this lens, although with the IS
> on it does drain my battery pretty fast.

You might consider getting the battery grip for the 350D - it holds two
batteries instead of one, and also gives you identical shutter/etc.
buttons on the grip for when you are shooting in portrait orientation.
It also (to me) stabilizes the camera a little better with a little
more weight, and gives you a bigger gripping surface.

> Here are a few shots from yesterday at the beach using the same lens
> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/playing_in_waves_2

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Scott W 04-01-2007 06:53 PM

Re: A bird with a bad attitude

On Apr 1, 8:24 am, Ken Lucke <k...@glass-stones.com> wrote:
> In article <1175451309.325039.259...@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups. com>,
>
> Scott W <biph...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
> >http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original

> > This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
> > look about them .

> > I put an order in to B&H for the 300mm f/4 lens before they close down
> > for the first part of April
> > The lens came Friday so I am out this weekend having a good time with
> > it. The bird shots are all 100% crops and were all taken hand held.

> > I must say so far I am delighted with this lens, although with the IS
> > on it does drain my battery pretty fast.

> You might consider getting the battery grip for the 350D - it holds two
> batteries instead of one, and also gives you identical shutter/etc.
> buttons on the grip for when you are shooting in portrait orientation.
> It also (to me) stabilizes the camera a little better with a little
> more weight, and gives you a bigger gripping surface.

Yup, there are a few more toys needed to go with it. I will most
likely also pick up a
1.4X teleconverter for it at some time. And I will be getting a few
more batteries and possibly the grip as well.

Scott

Jer 04-01-2007 07:38 PM

Re: A bird with a bad attitude

Scott W wrote:
> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original
>
> This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
> look about them .

There's a bill before congress that proscribes that any wild animal that
doesn't overtly smile when a human points a lens at it will be summarily
executed at sunrise. Eventually, all wild animals will be photographed
with a smile, despite their habitat continuing to be destroyed at an
alarming rate. :)

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Ken Lucke 04-01-2007 08:14 PM

Re: A bird with a bad attitude

In article <1175453616.549255.266370@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups. com>,
Scott W <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 1, 8:24 am, Ken Lucke <k...@glass-stones.com> wrote:
> > In article <1175451309.325039.259...@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups. com>,
> >
> > Scott W <biph...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
> > >http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original

> > > This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
> > > look about them .

> > > I put an order in to B&H for the 300mm f/4 lens before they close down
> > > for the first part of April
> > > The lens came Friday so I am out this weekend having a good time with
> > > it. The bird shots are all 100% crops and were all taken hand held.

> > > I must say so far I am delighted with this lens, although with the IS
> > > on it does drain my battery pretty fast.

> > You might consider getting the battery grip for the 350D - it holds two
> > batteries instead of one, and also gives you identical shutter/etc.
> > buttons on the grip for when you are shooting in portrait orientation.
> > It also (to me) stabilizes the camera a little better with a little
> > more weight, and gives you a bigger gripping surface.

> Yup, there are a few more toys needed to go with it.

There are ALWAYS toys you need :^). A boat is a hole in the water to
throw money into. A camera is a hole in the wallet for money to drain
out of. <g>

> I will most
> likely also pick up a
> 1.4X teleconverter for it at some time. And I will be getting a few
> more batteries and possibly the grip as well.

Go with the less expensive batteries you find on eBay - they work fine,
if you don't expect their claims of almost double the mAh ratings of
the Canon batteries to be true... In reality, they are just about equal
(possibly slightly better) in life than the Canons, BUT they are less
than 1/3 the price, so you can afford more of them, and therefore shoot
longer for the same $$$. BTW, I've had no trouble mixing and matching
them in my battery grips with the true Canons, although at the
beginning I tried to keep them in distinct pairs, worrying about the
differeing mAh ratings. Now I don't worry abot that.

Get the batteries sold with a charger, preferably a combination
household/car charger - the charger is your bottleneck when you are
trying to get back to shooting with flat batteries, especially with a
baterry grip that takes a pair of batteries. If you have at least two
chargers, you can always keep your battery grip full of charged
batteries :^). And by getting one that works on 12v, you can charge on
the go.

I actually hve 4 chargers - two in the house, for charging after I come
in from a day shooting, and two (12v versions) hardwired and velcroed
on the inside wall of my truck canopy. If I come back to the truck
with low batteries, I can swap them into the chargers, put fresh in
from my bag, and never miss a beat - and the batteries are usually
charged back up in under an hour... I've never run out of batteries in
under an hour!

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Paul Rubin 04-01-2007 08:38 PM

Re: A bird with a bad attitude

Ken Lucke <ken@glass-stones.com> writes:
> Go with the less expensive batteries you find on eBay - they work
> fine, if you don't expect their claims of almost double the mAh
> ratings of the Canon batteries to be true...BTW, I've had no trouble
> mixing and matching them in my battery grips with the true Canons,

The Canon BG-E3 battery grip (or its clones) will hold six AA cells,
no need for any lithium ion cells whatsoever. Good quality AA NiMH
cells are cheaper than even the Ebay junk-brand lithium packs, and you
can get 15 minute NiMH chargers from Energizer or Duracell.

Ken Lucke 04-01-2007 09:21 PM

Re: A bird with a bad attitude

In article <7xy7lbu8x9.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> Ken Lucke <ken@glass-stones.com> writes:
> > Go with the less expensive batteries you find on eBay - they work
> > fine, if you don't expect their claims of almost double the mAh
> > ratings of the Canon batteries to be true...BTW, I've had no trouble
> > mixing and matching them in my battery grips with the true Canons,

> The Canon BG-E3 battery grip (or its clones) will hold six AA cells,
> no need for any lithium ion cells whatsoever. Good quality AA NiMH
> cells are cheaper than even the Ebay junk-brand lithium packs, and you
> can get 15 minute NiMH chargers from Energizer or Duracell.

Yes, it does come with a AA battery holder, but I never found that the
NiMHs lasted as long as the actual NL-2Bs (or whatever they are, that
number's off of the top of my memory). Which surprised me, as the
total mAh of the NiMHs was considerably more than the NL-2Bs.

I'll have to give it a try again. (I currently just keep a set of 6 AA
alkalines in the AA tray that comes with the BG as a true emergency
backup, shrink-wrapped to protect them from moisture and to keep them
from being knocked out, stuck in the bottom of my
not-too-frequently-used-stuff bag).

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Robert Coe 04-07-2007 11:51 PM

Re: A bird with a bad attitude

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 14:38:00 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
: Scott W wrote:
: > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
: > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original
: >
:
: There's a bill before congress that proscribes that any wild animal that
: doesn't overtly smile when a human points a lens at it will be summarily
: executed at sunrise. Eventually, all wild animals will be photographed
: with a smile, despite their habitat continuing to be destroyed at an
: alarming rate. :)

I guess that ought to be proscribed by the bill, but I think you actually
meant to say "prescribes". ;^)

Anyway, if we're destroying the habitat of mynah birds, we continue to create
more of it for coyotes and racoons. (And increasingly here in Massachusetts,
for bears, another "wild" animal that rarely turns down a free meal.) So it
all evens out in the end.

Bob

ASAAR 04-08-2007 12:40 AM

Re: A bird with a bad attitude

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:51:29 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

> : There's a bill before congress that proscribes that any wild animal that
> : doesn't overtly smile when a human points a lens at it will be summarily
> : executed at sunrise. Eventually, all wild animals will be photographed
> : with a smile, despite their habitat continuing to be destroyed at an
> : alarming rate. :)
>
> . . .
> Anyway, if we're destroying the habitat of mynah birds, we continue to create
> more of it for coyotes and racoons. (And increasingly here in Massachusetts,
> for bears, another "wild" animal that rarely turns down a free meal.) So it
> all evens out in the end.

And kill coyotes and racoons who suffer the collateral damage of
the Forest Service's targeting of much more serious predators with
M-44 injectors. In a report I heard today, a man described how
while walking with his pet dog in a field, the dog suddenly made
noises as if it was strangling. Within two minutes it was dead. I
hadn't heard of this device before, but I'd guess that ranchers and
many other people are quite familiar with its use. According to the
report, M44s are also attached to collars placed around the necks of
livestock, and these presumably don't often kill unintended targets.

http://www.predatordefense.org/issues/m44.htm

J. Clarke 04-08-2007 06:14 AM

Re: A bird with a bad attitude

Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 14:38:00 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>> Scott W wrote:
>>> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
>>> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original
>>>
>>> This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
>>> look about them .
>>>

>> There's a bill before congress that proscribes that any wild animal
>> that doesn't overtly smile when a human points a lens at it will be
>> summarily executed at sunrise. Eventually, all wild animals will be
>> photographed with a smile, despite their habitat continuing to be
>> destroyed at an alarming rate. :)

> I guess that ought to be proscribed by the bill, but I think you
> actually meant to say "prescribes". ;^)
>
> Anyway, if we're destroying the habitat of mynah birds, we continue
> to create more of it for coyotes and racoons. (And increasingly here
> in Massachusetts, for bears, another "wild" animal that rarely turns
> down a free meal.) So it all evens out in the end.

Seagulls are also extending their range--all the local malls have a
seagull contingent.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)