Velocity Reviews

-   -   Trojan xlibgfl254.dll removal? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t495489-trojan-xlibgfl254-dll-removal.html)

Quercus Robur 04-01-2007 12:57 AM

Trojan xlibgfl254.dll removal?

A friends computer is infected with some trojan. At boot up McAfee reports
that image xlibgfl254.dll is not valid. I have checked elsewhere for
removal instructions and seem to have two choices. Edit the registry, which
I am reluctant to do, or use a program from Previx, who I have never heard
of. Does any one know how to remove the trojan? Apparently McAfee can not.

Thanks,
Martin

David H. Lipman 04-01-2007 01:05 AM

Re: Trojan xlibgfl254.dll removal?

From: "Quercus Robur" <quercus@example.invalid>

| A friends computer is infected with some trojan. At boot up McAfee reports
| that image xlibgfl254.dll is not valid. I have checked elsewhere for
| removal instructions and seem to have two choices. Edit the registry, which
| I am reluctant to do, or use a program from Previx, who I have never heard
| of. Does any one know how to remove the trojan? Apparently McAfee can not.
|
| Thanks,
| Martin

Prevx is excellent. You can download the free removal tool here...
http://free.prevx.com/

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Sebastian Gottschalk 04-01-2007 09:57 AM

Quercus Robur wrote:

> A friends computer is infected with some trojan. At boot up McAfee
> reports that image xlibgfl254.dll is not valid.

So, why do you think this would be a trojan horse?

> I have checked elsewhere for removal instructions and seem to have two
> choices. Edit the registry, which I am reluctant to do, or use a
> program from Previx, who I have never heard of.

What a bullshit. None of these is a solution.

> Does any one know how to remove the trojan?

Ehm... flatten and rebuild? How else?

David H. Lipman 04-01-2007 01:19 PM

Re: Trojan xlibgfl254.dll removal?

From: "Sebastian Gottschalk" <seppi@seppig.de>

| Ehm... flatten and rebuild? How else?

Yeah, and use a sledgehammer to kill flies as well.

JAB 04-01-2007 01:28 PM

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Sebastian Gottschalk" <seppi@seppig.de>
>

> | Ehm... flatten and rebuild? How else?
>
> Yeah, and use a sledgehammer to kill flies as well.

Gottschalk never and I repeat never gives useful advice. As far as I can
see his whole purpose of being on this NG is to demonstrate that he
'knows' more about security than anyone else. Unfortunately a) it's
blinding obvious that he does even know the basics and b) he acts like a
complete unhelpful prat to anyone who ventures into this NG.

David H. Lipman 04-01-2007 01:54 PM

Re: Trojan xlibgfl254.dll removal?

From: "JAB" <nochance@nohope.com>

| Gottschalk never and I repeat never gives useful advice. As far as I can
| see his whole purpose of being on this NG is to demonstrate that he
| 'knows' more about security than anyone else. Unfortunately a) it's
| blinding obvious that he does even know the basics and b) he acts like a
| complete unhelpful prat to anyone who ventures into this NG.

On the contrary, Sebastian Gottschalk did give good advice "once" (and no this isn't an
April fools day comment) out of his numerous replies.

Leythos 04-01-2007 02:18 PM

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 13:54:59 +0000, David H. Lipman wrote:

> On the contrary, Sebastian Gottschalk did give good advice "once" (and no
> this isn't an April fools day comment) out of his numerous replies.

Yea, I have to agree, VB, SG, they are the most positive wealth of
information in this group, never giving bogus information, always giving
details that the people can clearly understand, always more than enough
information to anyone that has questions - oh, and they are always so very
polite and helping to anyone.

..

..

..

..

..

April Fools - Ha Ha Ha

--
Leythos

Todd H. 04-01-2007 02:37 PM

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:

> From: "JAB" <nochance@nohope.com>
>

> | Gottschalk never and I repeat never gives useful advice. As far as I can
> | see his whole purpose of being on this NG is to demonstrate that he
> | 'knows' more about security than anyone else. Unfortunately a) it's
> | blinding obvious that he does even know the basics and b) he acts like a
> | complete unhelpful prat to anyone who ventures into this NG.
>
> On the contrary, Sebastian Gottschalk did give good advice "once" (and no this isn't an
> April fools day comment) out of his numerous replies.

I concur. His helpful-to-abusive ratio is quite low, but it's not 0.

I'm not sure what it is about the security field that PITA prima
donna's are so prevalent, but it is what it is I suppose. Least no
one's paying for any advice given here, so it makes it easier to take
it all with a grain of NaCl.

Microsoft actually has some tips though LOL
http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusine...ima_donna.mspx

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Leythos 04-01-2007 02:50 PM

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 09:37:34 -0500, Todd H. wrote:

> I'm not sure what it is about the security field that PITA prima donna's
> are so prevalent, but it is what it is I suppose.

No, that's not the norm, in fact, most security experts are very nice and
concerned people that are quite willing to share all that they know and to
do it in a way they believe will help the person they are working with or
talking too.

When you run into the prima-donna types you should just ignore them, walk
away, go another direction, etc.... In most cases, the people that have
their heads so far up their butts make serious mistakes by not seeing the
threats around them, by missing something critical, by not really caring
to learn from others.

--
Leythos

Quercus Robur 04-01-2007 05:28 PM

Re: Trojan xlibgfl254.dll removal?

The effect of SG's response is to subvert the question. Not one reply helps
solve the problem.
So I re-state my question. Please does anyone know how to get rid of the
Trojan?

Thanks,
Martin