Velocity Reviews

-   -   64bit print server - no 64bit drivers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t495230-64bit-print-server-no-64bit-drivers.html)

=?Utf-8?B?ZWRoZWFk?= 03-30-2007 06:24 PM

64bit print server - no 64bit drivers

We have a '03 64bit print server and am trying to add a Toshiba eStudio 35
network printer to the server. There are no 64bit drivers available from
Toshiba yet. I tried installing the 32bit drivers via the '03 server mmc and
only selecting the 32bit XP, 2000, NT option. I get a "Selected driver must
be installed remotely from an x86 Windows XP, 2000, or 2003 Server" at the
end of the wizard. All I want to do is share the printer via AD and allow the
clients to download the drivers. Is this possible and if so how?
Thanks in advance!

Charlie Russel - MVP 03-30-2007 09:10 PM

Re: 64bit print server - no 64bit drivers

An interesting problem. I'm assuming you know how to add drivers for a
different architecture to your printer, but if you don't, see my blog
entries from the summer of '05. However, you can't add 32-bit drivers until
you actually have a 64-bit printer. And you can't add the 64-bit printer
until you have some sort of drivers. Catch-22.

There's no "official" way that I know to work around this. That being said,
if there are any generic drivers that will at least work moderately with the
eStudio, you can choose them and then add in the matching 32-bit drivers. I
don't know enough about the Toshiba to speculate on that. But most printers
will do either PostScript or PCL, and if that's the case then selecting a
reasonably similar driver for a different, PS or PCL, printer will work
adequately.

The other pretty far out option is to take a generic driver, edit the INF
file for it to make it match up to the Toshiba, and then install the dummied
up driver. Now you should be able to add the 32-bit version of the driver.
At which point you just need to make it clear that only 32-bit clients
should use it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64