Velocity Reviews

-   -   FSIM X on Vista 64 bit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t494981-fsim-x-on-vista-64-bit.html)

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?= 03-29-2007 08:34 PM

FSIM X on Vista 64 bit

Any known problems using FSIMX on 64 Bit Vista. I had no problems with FSIM
on my current hardare under XP/SP2. Installed clean Vista x64 and now the
screen flickers to black every 1 second or so.

Hardware is ASUS A8N SLI-Prem, 3GB RAM, ASUS EN6600GT, AMD3800+, SATA3 250GB
HDD. Have all latest nvidia drivers. Audio works well.

Theo 03-29-2007 09:07 PM

Re: FSIM X on Vista 64 bit

According to the information posted on the Microsoft web
site:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/fligh...duct_info.html
there is no mention of it being compatible with either Win
x64 nor Vista x64.

Minimum System Requirements
Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista
Processor: 1.0 Ghz
RAM: Windows XP SP2 - 256MB, Windows Vista – 512MB
Hard Drive: 14GB
Video Card: 32MB DirectX 9 compatible
Other: DX9 hardware compatibility and audio board with
speakers and/or headphones
Online/Multiplayer Requirements: 56.6 kbps or better for
online play

jabloomf1230 03-29-2007 09:10 PM

Re: FSIM X on Vista 64 bit

When you say "the latest drivers", I assume that you are referring to
the nVidia 101.41 beta set. You're really pushing that 6600GT to run FSX
as it brings even the best hardware to its knees. As a test, have you
tried reducing the resolution to something pretty low, like 800 X 600
and see if you get the same problem to occur?

As to your original question, there are known problems with many 3D
games under Vista. I haven't had any problems with FSX under Vista
Ultimate x64, but I'm probably just lucky.

Google FSX and you'll find a ton of websites/message boards that talk
about FSX, hardware and driver issues. For example:

www.avsim.com
www.simviation.com
www.sim-outhouse.com
www.flyawaysimulation.com
www.flightsimworld.com
www.fsimcafe.com
www.flightsim.com
netwings.org
www.fszone.org
www.simradar.com etc.

jabloomf1230 03-29-2007 09:12 PM

Re: FSIM X on Vista 64 bit

FSX ran fine for me also under Win XP x64. No problems at all.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?= 03-29-2007 09:26 PM

Re: FSIM X on Vista 64 bit

Thanks for the replies.. Not certain of the version at the moment - not in
front of my box but i will check it. The 6600GT handles FSX just fine under
XP in Full detail on my hardware so i was hoping the extra overhead of Vista
wouldnt be too bad. I will take your advice and lower the screen res however
and check it out again tonite. My tests so far were on 1280x1024 but LOW
detail. Another interesting thing i noticed was that i got a message stating
" Changing to VISTA BASIC COLORS" and i thought that was odd. I am probably
goign to try it on Vista x32 as well just to see what happens.

Tony Sperling 03-29-2007 10:05 PM

Re: FSIM X on Vista 64 bit

FSX is built for DX10 and that will only be released with Vista, as I
understand, but we are not there yet. Your problem is probably with the
state of development of the current set of video drivers - it seems to run
'mostly' fine with the OS and the basic functions, but some things must be
expected to be shakey. When the FSX DX10 patch is released, you may expect
the drivers to deliver better support, but not much earlier, is my guess.

Tony. . .

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= 03-29-2007 11:50 PM

Re: FSIM X on Vista 64 bit

Runnin' fine with latest NVidia official drivers on Vista x64.
NV7600GT board on ASUS A8N-SLI, 2GB RAM
(at least that is what my elder son says)
Carlos

Tony Sperling 03-30-2007 01:17 AM

Re: FSIM X on Vista 64 bit

Yes, no real surprise - the community seems to be roughly equally divided in
two, one has problems with graphical artifacts and flickering, the other
don't. Both groups, I think it's safe to bet, will benefit in no neglectable
amount from DX10 - the developers won't speak about dates or what kind of
specific support will unfold, but say we WILL like it.

Tony. . .

R. C. White, MVP 03-30-2007 02:53 PM

Re: FSIM X on Vista 64 bit

Hi, Tony.

DXDIAG.EXE says I'm running DirectX 10 NOW in Vista Ultimate x64.

I'm not a gamer, and I haven't installed Flight Simulator in years, so maybe
I just don't understand the issue.

My computer was upgraded in December to an EPoX MF570SLI mobo/AMD Athlon 64
X2 5000+ CPU/2 GB PC6400 RAM and ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-express video
card. The Windows Experience score is 4.6, with Graphics being the lowest
score at 4.6; Gaming graphics gets 4.9.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= 03-30-2007 04:46 PM

Re: FSIM X on Vista 64 bit

R.C.:
You are right.
DirectX10 (as well as DirectX 9.0) are part of Vista installation.
What we are not seeing much are DirectX10 capable graphic cards.
I think that so far NVidia has a couple of chips of the 8xxx series but they
are way too pricey for the time being.
That kind of cards will surely squeeze all the performance out of FSX.
Carlos