Velocity Reviews

-   -   Anyone using Virgin broadband, non cable? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t494804-anyone-using-virgin-broadband-non-cable.html)

Kenny 03-29-2007 06:59 AM

Anyone using Virgin broadband, non cable?

I switched ISP from Wanadoo to Madasafish last year because Wanadoo dropped
ng access.
I see that Virgin are now offering a much better deal than Madasafish, ie:
no dl cap, free evening & weekend calls and 3 a month cheaper.
http://www.virgin.net/allyours/broad...imitedandtalk/
In their terms it says:
"Our Services include access to many Usenet discussion groups (newsgroups).
"
Would like to know if this is full access to all groups including binaries
and if they're likely to drop this access like many other UK ISP's?
Any comments about this and Virgin generally welcome, especially from anyone
using them.

--

Kenny

Blinky the Shark 03-29-2007 07:59 AM

Re: Anyone using Virgin broadband, non cable?

Kenny wrote:
> I switched ISP from Wanadoo to Madasafish last year because Wanadoo dropped
> ng access.

Did you look into just using a free newsfeed?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Kenny 03-29-2007 11:15 AM

Re: Anyone using Virgin broadband, non cable?

Thanks for the reply, have tried free newsservers but they don't carry
binaries.

--

Kenny
news:slrnf0mvuv.ig4.no.spam@thurston.blinkynet.net ...

old man 03-29-2007 11:21 AM

Re: Anyone using Virgin broadband, non cable?

I guess it might depend on what ng binaries
I can access them on both ntl/virgin and other ng servers

why? 03-29-2007 04:25 PM

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 07:59:12 +0100, Kenny wrote:

>I switched ISP from Wanadoo to Madasafish last year because Wanadoo dropped
>ng access.
>I see that Virgin are now offering a much better deal than Madasafish, ie:
>no dl cap, free evening & weekend calls and 3 a month cheaper.
>http://www.virgin.net/allyours/broad...imitedandtalk/
>In their terms it says:
>"Our Services include access to many Usenet discussion groups (newsgroups).
>"
>Would like to know if this is full access to all groups including binaries

Don't know non-cable, 1 or 2 of the low end broadband packages don't
IIRc even have access to internal BY newsservers.

>and if they're likely to drop this access like many other UK ISP's?
>Any comments about this and Virgin generally welcome, especially from anyone
>using them.

Depends how you look at this,
ex NTL now VM are on NTL newsservers,
ex BY now VM are on BY newsservers.
ex NTL / ex BY / others can see the new virginmedia groups.

As for the BY binaries, forget it. low retention, no new groups added
for 5 years at least, lots of missing bits. Some users still stick with
it. I moved to Giagnews years ago and it's fantastic, so did many
others.

Me

Gary G. Taylor 03-29-2007 05:57 PM

http://www.usenetserver.com mention skinnerjack to get me a credit

--
Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org