Velocity Reviews

-   -   Last try at Bookmarks question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t494746-last-try-at-bookmarks-question.html)

Bob Newman 03-29-2007 01:38 AM

Last try at Bookmarks question

I asked this question a couple of months ago, I thought it was a simple one
but no one could answer it. I'm ready to junk Firefox if I can't get my
bookmarks back the way they were:

Firefox 2.0.0.

I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get it to
sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual sites not in
any folder as it always did in the past?

Thanks in advance... Bob

Rom 03-29-2007 08:23 AM

Re: Last try at Bookmarks question

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:38:01 -0400, Bob Newman wrote:

> Firefox 2.0.0.
>
> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get it to
> sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual sites not in
> any folder as it always did in the past?

Don't know what you've tried previously:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sorting_bookmarks_alphabetically>

--
Rom

Bob Newman 03-29-2007 11:21 AM

Re: Last try at Bookmarks question

It doesn't look like that will put them all back in one command. I have
dozens of folders & you must do one at a time, it screwed them up all at
once. This seems to be one thing that IE6/7 has it all over Firefox on.

Bob

Charani 03-29-2007 05:27 PM

Re: Last try at Bookmarks question

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:38:01 -0400, Bob Newman wrote:

> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get it to
> sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual sites not in
> any folder as it always did in the past?

If it won't do it automatically, do it manually. Yes, it's a faff but
better that than dump Firefox.

Alternatively put all the individual sites into a folder called Misc
or General, then tell Firefox to sort the folders.

elaich 03-30-2007 12:26 AM

Re: Last try at Bookmarks question

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in

> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get
> it to sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual
> sites not in any folder as it always did in the past?

Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
seems to have it.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Charani 03-30-2007 06:10 AM

On 30 Mar 2007 00:26:48 GMT, elaich wrote:

> Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
> seems to have it.

My husband found the same thing happened when he tried Firefox.

Rom 03-30-2007 07:12 AM

Re: Last try at Bookmarks question

On 30 Mar 2007 00:26:48 GMT, elaich wrote:

> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in
>
>> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
>> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get
>> it to sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual
>> sites not in any folder as it always did in the past?

> Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
> seems to have it.

Don't think so. Bookmarks is one area that is in need of improvement,
including the sorting mentioned by the OP. I don't use alphabetical
sorting, but understand the problem, and started using Firefox from
0.4 when it was called Phoenix.

--
Rom

Chalky 03-30-2007 10:31 AM

Rom <-@-.invalid> wrote in news:1lijs2szxbr6z.7bi2n6yzfg1a.dlg@40tude.net:

> On 30 Mar 2007 00:26:48 GMT, elaich wrote:
>
>> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in
>>
>>> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
>>> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get
>>> it to sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual
>>> sites not in any folder as it always did in the past?

>> Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
>> seems to have it.

> Don't think so. Bookmarks is one area that is in need of improvement,
> including the sorting mentioned by the OP. I don't use alphabetical
> sorting, but understand the problem, and started using Firefox from
> 0.4 when it was called Phoenix.

The simple answer is to go to Manage Bookmarks, right click on any item an
sort by name. This works perfectly.

Rom 03-30-2007 11:34 AM

On 30 Mar 2007 10:31:42 GMT, Chalky wrote:

> Rom <-@-.invalid> wrote in news:1lijs2szxbr6z.7bi2n6yzfg1a.dlg@40tude.net:
>
>> On 30 Mar 2007 00:26:48 GMT, elaich wrote:
>>
>>> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in

>>> Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
>>> seems to have it.

>> Don't think so. Bookmarks is one area that is in need of improvement,
>> including the sorting mentioned by the OP. I don't use alphabetical
>> sorting, but understand the problem, and started using Firefox from
>> 0.4 when it was called Phoenix.

> The simple answer is to go to Manage Bookmarks, right click on any item an
> sort by name. This works perfectly.

Btw, I didn't ask. And your simple answer does not work very well, let
alone perfectly.

--
Rom

Chalky 03-31-2007 05:08 AM

Re: Last try at Bookmarks question

Rom <-@-.invalid> wrote in

> On 30 Mar 2007 10:31:42 GMT, Chalky wrote:
>
>> Rom <-@-.invalid> wrote in

>>> Don't think so. Bookmarks is one area that is in need of improvement,
>>> including the sorting mentioned by the OP. I don't use alphabetical
>>> sorting, but understand the problem, and started using Firefox from
>>> 0.4 when it was called Phoenix.

>> The simple answer is to go to Manage Bookmarks, right click on any
>> item an sort by name. This works perfectly.

> Btw, I didn't ask. And your simple answer does not work very well, let
> alone perfectly.

Well it works perfectly on my system.