Velocity Reviews

-   -   Installing Printer on XP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t494538-installing-printer-on-xp.html)

Maria662@gmail.com 03-28-2007 10:01 AM

Installing Printer on XP

I have attempted to install a printer on xp. The printer wizard keeps
asking for a cd from Windows, what cd the program was installed when I
got the pc. I have the installation cd for the printer but I get the
same message for the pc. Is there anything I can to get around this
or where can I get an installation cd copy.

Gordon 03-28-2007 10:28 AM

Re: Installing Printer on XP

Maria662@gmail.com wrote:

> I have attempted to install a printer on xp. The printer wizard keeps
> asking for a cd from Windows, what cd the program was installed when I
> got the pc. I have the installation cd for the printer but I get the
> same message for the pc. Is there anything I can to get around this
> or where can I get an installation cd copy.

See if you have a folder called "I386" (without the quotes) on your HDD. If
you do (you may have to enable Hidden and System Files and Folders in
windows Explorer to see it), when asked for the Windows CD navigate to that
folder.

Maria662@gmail.com 03-28-2007 06:39 PM

Re: Installing Printer on XP

On Mar 28, 6:28 am, Gordon <gbpli...@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> Maria...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I have attempted to install a printer on xp. The printer wizard keeps
> > asking for a cd from Windows, what cd the program was installed when I
> > got the pc. I have the installation cd for the printer but I get the
> > same message for the pc. Is there anything I can to get around this
> > or where can I get an installation cd copy.

> See if you have a folder called "I386" (without the quotes) on your HDD. If
> you do (you may have to enable Hidden and System Files and Folders in
> windows Explorer to see it), when asked for the Windows CD navigate to that
> folder.

Hi Gordon: I thank you for your response. I tried to install the
printer I got all the way to where the printer wizard says to print
test then I get message type path windows xp cd rom UNIDRV.DLL I guess
I did something wrong. Can you help me with the next step? I tried to
go to i386 for that UNIDRV but it wasn't in there. Thanks maria!

Maria662@gmail.com 03-28-2007 06:40 PM

Re: Installing Printer on XP

Keme 03-30-2007 05:23 AM

Re: Installing Printer on XP

Maria662@gmail.com skrev:
> I have attempted to install a printer on xp. The printer wizard keeps
> asking for a cd from Windows, what cd the program was installed when I
> got the pc. I have the installation cd for the printer but I get the
> same message for the pc. Is there anything I can to get around this
> or where can I get an installation cd copy.

Is it a "hostbased" printer (i.e. no formatting engine in the printer,
all work done by the connected PC, or "host")? If so, there may be an
updated driver for XP on the maker's website. In my experience, more
often than not, the printer is obsoleted when you upgrade your OS
(updated drivers are not made available)

stanislaw Iber 03-31-2007 09:21 AM

Re: Installing Printer on XP

Maria662@gmail.com wrote:
> I have attempted to install a printer on xp. The printer wizard keeps
> asking for a cd from Windows, what cd the program was installed when I
> got the pc. I have the installation cd for the printer but I get the
> same message for the pc. Is there anything I can to get around this
> or where can I get an installation cd copy.
> Maybe the software is faulty or maybe the XP is not the original!

Did happen to me once and when I installed the same printer with a "real
XP" the installation went perfect!
Also if you don't have an installation disk go to www.brother. com or
whatever the printer brand is and you get the driver from the
manufacturer, sometimes even the manual!