Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to enable write-back disk cache? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t494253-how-to-enable-write-back-disk-cache.html)

=?Utf-8?B?amxpbGxleQ==?= 03-22-2007 05:46 PM

How to enable write-back disk cache?

I'm using XP64 Workstation with 4GB memory installed, and I'm disappointed
that its write performance is so poor with large writes. I'm used to testing
on Windows Server 2003, where it will happily cache GBs of dirty data and
write to disk when it gets a chance. I've tried enabling all the performance
options but no dice. Does this just not work in XP64? Intentionally
crippled by Microsoft?

Charlie Russel - MVP 03-23-2007 06:20 AM

Re: How to enable write-back disk cache?

Write back caches are a very bad idea in an environment that doesn't have a
UPS. Most workstations don't have UPSs. Hence the lack of enablement in XP
x64.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?amxpbGxleQ==?= 03-23-2007 01:29 PM

Re: How to enable write-back disk cache?

I'm unclear on your response. Are you simply saying that its a bad idea, or
are you saying authoritatively that it cannot be enabled? All of the UI is
there to enable it, it just doesn't seem to work. I can understand making it
HARD to enable, but making it impossible seems more like a marketing decision
(can't make as much money if people use workstation for data processing
instead of server).

Thanks
john

Charlie Russel - MVP 03-23-2007 06:32 PM

Re: How to enable write-back disk cache?

Both. ;)

Seriously, I have never tried to enable it, but I'm not suprised if it is
somehow being blocked. I don't explicitly know that it is, I just wouldn't
be surprised.

Tom Ferguson 03-23-2007 10:59 PM

Re: How to enable write-back disk cache?

The specifics of even a poor answer to your query are beyond by
knowledge and experience. However, I note the following article might be
of some scant use to you.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

Graham 03-23-2007 11:25 PM

jlilley wrote:
> I'm using XP64 Workstation with 4GB memory installed, and I'm disappointed
> that its write performance is so poor with large writes. I'm used to testing
> on Windows Server 2003, where it will happily cache GBs of dirty data and
> write to disk when it gets a chance. I've tried enabling all the performance
> options but no dice. Does this just not work in XP64? Intentionally
> crippled by Microsoft?

Can one assume you have checked the policy in device manager for each
drive you want it enabled on?

Graham.